homeschool

1,891 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cjo03
cjo03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mrs cjo was a teacher before we had kids - and decided to homeschool our kids this year (4th, 4th & 3rd).

Gave me a reason for a project - and made her this classroom in our 3rd bay.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CFF7SxOFdnj/?igshid=1box86kmgjsy2
cjo03
AG
I can't get that video link to embed correctly. Pics:

txag2008
AG
That's awesome. Well done
cavscout96
AG
cursive letters and a school bell. Kicking it really old-school.

nice touch.
aggiemike02
AG
lockers too, nice!
cjo03
AG
cavscout96 said:

cursive letters and a school bell. Kicking it really old-school.

nice touch.

Kids are a few seasons into Little House on the Prairie... I saw the school bell, had an idea to add it and rolled the dice. As in gave it to the teacher for her birthday last week. I put my odds at 50/50 whether she'd think it was neat vs dumb. Turns out her late dad had one growing up. I finally got a bday present right!

She probably put the cursive up for me... outside of the 5 letters in my first name and the first letter of my last name, I don't think I know any of them.
cjo03
AG
Day 1 went well.

Anyone have any ideas for a "Murphy" style table? Originally I planned for a table to be attached and fold up into the wall (circled in red). But every design I've come up with is either too short for 3 kids to sit side by side or too complicated from a hinge perspective and my brain quits.

Builder93
AG
That looks a lot like regular school in a garage.

They should be in Pj's reading on the couch.
cjo03
AG
Builder93 said:

they do that too.

pj's was a legitimate option, but they picked out first day outfits (and no shoes..) we are a fan of public school and appreciate some structure. but plan on using the flexibility this year for some extended adventures.

nonameag99
Why can't your kids go to school like normal?
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
cjo03
AG
nonameag99 said:

Relevant question for the home improvement board.

Where can they go to school like "normal"?

But the real reasons are we believe they will get more from mrs cjo than the current options available around us (either public or private). Hybrid, masks and social distanced recess didn't sound like much fun... or normal. We decided to control what we can control and spend time traveling this year. When "normal" shows up with consistency, they'll be back in public school. Hence the temporary 'classroom' that only takes up 8 sq ft of my garage when closed.

jtp01
AG
Sunray ISD is normal! There are masks available for kids if they want one. Working on 4th week of football games with stands full of fans.

Last night the school board meeting was packed "they awarded student of the month for elementary, middle and high school. Then rushed from that meeting to the FFA meeting.

I thank God we moved up here from suburban Amarillo. Our Superintendent is a former Ag Teacher and brings a sense of reality to school administration. He reaches out to the community when he's uncertain about a particular topic. We are in the 5th week of school with 0 COVID cases.

I get that it's a small school in the Texas Panhandle, but you asked where kids could go that is "normal"
cavscout96
AG
Builder93 said:

Mine are strung out at the kitchen and dining room tables. They've taken over a 1/3 of the first floor and are slowly and methodically gaining a toehold in the living room too......
cavscout96
AG
cjo03 said:

nonameag99 said:

Relevant question for the home improvement board.

Where can they go to school like "normal"?

But the real reasons are we believe know they will get more from mrs cjo than the current options available around us (either public or private). Hybrid, masks and social distanced recess didn't sound like much fun... or normal. We decided to control what we can control and spend time traveling this year. When "normal" shows up with consistency, they'll be back in public school. Hence the temporary 'classroom' that only takes up 8 sq ft of my garage when closed.

You might find that this becomes normal. That's the same reason we've done it.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
cjo03 said:

Day 1 went well.

Anyone have any ideas for a "Murphy" style table? Originally I planned for a table to be attached and fold up into the wall (circled in red). But every design I've come up with is either too short for 3 kids to sit side by side or too complicated from a hinge perspective and my brain quits.

Awesome job, though the one on the floor looks like they could get into some mischief.
cjo03
AG
jtp01 said:

Sunray ISD is normal! There are masks available for kids if they want one. Working on 4th week of football games with stands full of fans.

Last night the school board meeting was packed "they awarded student of the month for elementary, middle and high school. Then rushed from that meeting to the FFA meeting.

I thank God we moved up here from suburban Amarillo. Our Superintendent is a former Ag Teacher and brings a sense of reality to school administration. He reaches out to the community when he's uncertain about a particular topic. We are in the 5th week of school with 0 COVID cases.

I get that it's a small school in the Texas Panhandle, but you asked where kids could go that is "normal"

Sounds like our teacher to student ratio is about the same then

My dad came out of retirement to be superintendent this summer at a small town TX school. It's about the last job I can think of wanting right now! So far no cases there either.

cjo03
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Awesome job, though the one on the floor looks like they could get into some mischief.

Use to, but she is 11.5 now and likely the best listener in the house. Her litter mate sister on the other hand...

jpd301
AG
Nice work. I like that you mounted bikes on the back.

What made you decide on a hinged wall versus just another set of wheels or two and a completely moveable wall? Stability?

What is the purpose of the 1 extra wheel on the vertical board near the other wheel? Does that get detached and inserted somewhere else?
Builder93
AG
Our kids are homeschooled. At times I've been a little irritated at some of their progress and then they will seem to have a moment of inspiration and blow through a subject with great success. It has made me realize that education is not one size fits all. Brain development and personality play such strong roles in learning.
cjo03
AG
jpd301 said:

Nice work. I like that you mounted bikes on the back.

What made you decide on a hinged wall versus just another set of wheels or two and a completely moveable wall? Stability?

What is the purpose of the 1 extra wheel on the vertical board near the other wheel? Does that get detached and inserted somewhere else?

Thanks!

Thought about a "divider". Went with hinged wall because my wife lives with 4 "kids" that often don't put stuff back where it goes.. and stability. Live on a hill and front of our house is relatively flat. Gravity brings all the neighborhood kids to our yard daily and there is a constant traffic to and otter pops from that fridge.

Extra wheel is a lever. Garage has a slight slope - so when it's fully open, the main wheel supports the weight of the stationary door. But during open/close it is swinging and all on the reinforced hinges. Once the bikes got added, getting the door to close flush became heavy/required more swinging. So I added the second wheel on a hinge that flexes with slope of garage during open and close - and then to fully close you can step on it to lift the "flex" out of the door for a solid close.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.