How to lighten mortar...

11,500 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BrazosDog02
bdgol07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Builder93 said:

aggiemike02 said:

Builder93 said:

Helium.

This works?

Well, helium is lighter.
The old 18hr long dad joke...well done sir
Builder93
AG
bdgol07 said:

Builder93 said:

aggiemike02 said:

Builder93 said:

Helium.

This works?

Well, helium is lighter.
The old 18hr long dad joke...well done sir
Cromagnum
AG
Punch it and see if a coin or a mushroom comes out.
Premium
AG
Cromagnum said:

Punch it and see if a coin or a mushroom comes out.

EOT
Federale01
AG
[url=https://freeimage.host/i/27FCVS][/url]

Updated picture. After applying muriatic acid several times, I have been able to lighten the mortar significantly. Its still not a great match as it still has a grey tone, but I think it has improved. I am probably going to hit the bottom area one more time.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Federale01 said:

Yeah, he assured me he would match it as best he could, but after it was done he just said, "it's old mortar so can't really match it." I don't think he tried.

Post his business so we know to avoid at all costs.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
And I hope it's the image but the brick doesn't even look close to level. Sorry man. That sucks.
Premium
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

And I hope it's the image but the brick doesn't even look close to level. Sorry man. That sucks.

Not to mention the several bricks that are off color, very dark.

Federale01
AG
Yeah, those are original bricks for the house. Some were a little discolored due to some type of paint/sealer used in construction process. Not sure why he grouped them together. But it's just a paint, so I can get most of it off I think.
Federale01
AG
It's mainly the image. The last row he had to sandwich in between the original and the new fill is a little off, but the rest are pretty even.

You don't have to apologize. This definitely isn't what I wanted. The only good news is I live on the east coast where a lot of old house have similar repairs where mortars don't match.

I called 5 different companies and this is the only guy who called me back. He had decent reviews and I had a timeline. In the end, I Have decided I am hanging a picture there.
BrazosDog02
AG
Just see how bad it ends up and whether you can live with it. If not, it's nothing a repoint won't fix....on his dime.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.