Sprayer to stain cedar with

1,756 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
harleyds2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations as a sprayer to stain cedar with
Cramp00
I used this
Roundup 190260 Lawn and Garden Sprayer, 2 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YNSAKI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I0MwFb7XX2PEK
Cromagnum
AG
Get a couple gallon sprayer for bugs and use it for this project and then throw away.
JP76
Cramp00 said:

I used this
Roundup 190260 Lawn and Garden Sprayer, 2 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YNSAKI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I0MwFb7XX2PEK

I've used this one before. You can actually get it at Lowe's
Builder93
AG
Rolling is better, forces the stain into the pores.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If you have a helper, you can spray and backroll. One person sprays while the other just rolls it to even it out. It also forces the stain into the wood.
JuCo CH46
What type of stain works best using the 1 gallon sprayer? Water based, oil? The last two times I tried this the stain was to thick and it didn't work at all. About 8 years ago I used the sprayer on my fence and it worked great but I can't remember what type stain I used...
scd88
AG
I have about 170 LF of 6' cedar, so doing this by hand or a gallon at a time was not an option.

Bought a Graco airless sprayer and 10 gallons of solid mahogany stain. Took me an afternoon to learn how to use the sprayer, stain, and clean up. Fence looks really good.

Not cheap at all. I do have some additional paint projects coming up, though. I like the sprayer.
jonj101
Can't recommend a sprayer because I did my cedar fence with a roller by hand, but if you haven't decided on a stain yet I can't recommend Ready Seal enough.

The 'Goof Proof' characteristic of the formula is great - so even if you spray it on unevenly there are no laps or overruns and the finished quality looks great.
evan_aggie
AG
I used a roller and it was a miserable experience. Incredibly tedious and time consuming. Plus I made the mistake of thinking a natural with low color would look nice if it had UV inhibitors.

Even this Flood will need reapplication after 2 years in direct sunlight.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-5-gal-Clear-CWF-UV-Exterior-Wood-Finish-FLD542-05/206265860
op_06
AG
ReadySeal is great stuff. I sprayed my cedar fence with an airless sprayer I rented from Home Depot several years ago.
Builder93
AG
If you get an extension and a good roller cover, you can go pretty fast and do a thorough job. Spraying just doesn't get the coverage. The trick is to get a 4' long or so extension so that you don't have to bend over. You just stand up and move the roller up and down, move over a foot, and do it again, etc.... A high quality cover will hold lots of stain and clean up well for the next project. Get a deep roller pan also. Plus you aren't overspraying and putting VOC's into the air.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.