Quote for painting whole house - 2450 sq ft - interior?

1,901 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ikanizer
LeftyAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got this contractor guy that has always helped me (for the past 15+ years) with painting/flooring/sheetrocking, etc for my own home and a rental.

I asked him to take a look at a new construction house (no furniture) and it's currently painted white, and give me a quote. It's a 1 story 4 BR, 3 bath, formal dining, and 10' ceilings / 2450 square feet.

I'm asking him to paint the main living area and kitchen with a beige. And the BRs and dining room in other colors.

He will buy the paint (Sherwin williams) and all supplies to do the job.

His quote was $2500 for flat and $2800 for eggshell.

Whatsayyou Ags? Good deal?
dubi
AG
I'd say it would be far worse to paint it yourself!
V8Aggie
AG
Doesn't sound bad. We paid Jose around $2k to do an 1800 sq ft house (two coats of paint) including touching up all the baseboards & trim. Our home had furniture he had to move and work around.

Be sure to confirm how many coats of paint. Also your ceiling heights are a determining factor as well.
AgProgrammer
AG
I think I'd like the name/number of both of your painters. That sounds like a very reasonable price.
TMoney2007
AG
If he's painting all the walls, it doesn't sound that bad.

I don't like flat on walls, so I would spring for eggshell.

Ask him to specify what paint he is going to use from sherwin williams. There are different qualities that vary significantly in price.
dubi
AG
TMoney2007 said:

If he's painting all the walls, it doesn't sound that bad.

I don't like flat on walls, so I would spring for eggshell.

Ask him to specify what paint he is going to use from sherwin williams.
There are different qualities that vary significantly in price.
Plus the pros get a big discount when they buy paint.
planoaggie123
AG
Sounds like a really good deal.

About 10 months ago we painted every square inch of our new-to-us home (walls, trim, stairs, closets, garage, etc) and we paid a decent $$ (4,200 sq feet). Granted we did a lot of texture work too which adds up quick but that rate sounds pretty darn favorable when I pull up my spreadsheet I had by room.

BTW....strongly encourage you to have a budget by room and agree on a payment schedule which I am sure you are going to do. Doing so for us saved us a LOT of headache.
TMoney2007
AG
For an empty house, it shouldn't take any more than a couple days.
planoaggie123
AG
You are likely right but never hurts to plan it out in writing.

One thing we experienced was our painter had multiple jobs (not known in advance...shame on us) and would leave our home alone for a day or two and so thankfully we never "over-paid" and he always had a reason to return or he, at best, would have broken even and never made a profit.

Hopefully his situation that would never happen especially with his long-standing relationship with that contractor.
LeftyAg89
AG
He's doing eggshell, using Sherwin Williams' "middle" paint as he called it.
I trust this guy, he's done so many jobs for me (and other family members) and has always kept his word and always done a great job.

The builder (Toll Brothers) charges too much, shocking, I know!

By default, whatever color you choose for the wall, they use the same color for the ceiling.
If you want them to paint the ceiling a different color (white) than the walls, they would charge $3500 for the ceiling (whole house).

For an individual room, they would charge $800 to paint the walls.

Builder93
AG
LeftyAg89 said:

I trust this guy, he's done so many jobs for me (and other family members) and has always kept his word and always done a great job.

By default, whatever color you choose for the wall, they use the same color for the ceiling.
If you want them to paint the ceiling a different color (white) than the walls, they would charge $3500 for the ceiling (whole house).

Well, Toll Brothers also has health insurance, 401K, and PTO.

Your painter doesn't deserve any of that.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Builder93 said:

LeftyAg89 said:

Toll brothers has overhead and profit. OP's painter is probably making out a helluva lot better than the guy Toll Brothers is hiring and billing for.
TMoney2007
AG
I'm saying I wouldn't pay for a job like this on progress. It's too small for that to be worth it. I could maybe understand if the house was full of furniture, but it's not.

The most I would probably do is pay him for the paint when it showed up and then pay him for the labor upon completion. I really wouldn't mess with a payment schedule more complicated than that. Most people who do any significant amount of paint work can get a credit account from Sherwin-Williams with net-30 terms, so they may not even really need the paint paid for prior to completion.
planoaggie123
AG
Got it. That makes sense. I can see paying in full, upon completion, on a 3 - 4 day job (anything under a week).

When we paid supplies we had him show reciepts and paid that amount (probably tacky but we have had bad experiences with contractors and will never fully trust again lol).
LeftyAg89
AG
If it's a bigger job, I typically give my guy a check beforehand to cover some/most of the supplies... just ballpark.

If it's a small job, minimal supplies, then I just pay him upon completion.
The Grinder (99)
AG
sounds like a great deal. We had our house painted last year and your price sounds very good
planoaggie123
AG
I would say call him to get him locked in.
Builder93
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Builder93 said:

LeftyAg89 said:

Toll brothers has overhead and profit. OP's painter is probably making out a helluva lot better than the guy Toll Brothers is hiring and billing for.
That's what HI, 401K and PTO are. Their painter may not be getting that either but my larger point was that most trades (other than plumbers and electricians) who work for themselves are not getting paid enough to cover those kinds of costs.
Ikanizer
AG
We paid about $5000 to paint the inside of a two bedroom two bathroom house. He painted everything. Walls, ceilings, trim. Caulked, minor sheetrock repair, removed and painted all the cabinet, room and closet doors. It took about a week. They also moved all the furniture and removed/rehung the curtains and blinds. I paid him after it was complete. Sounds like you're getting a fair price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.