Shrub problem

1,255 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
Worlds Foremost Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think something is wreaking havoc on my shrubs. Turning them brown limb by limb. Does anyone recognize this?

Builder93
AG
Looks like a fungus. Hollies don't like excess water. You need to make sure the mulch is pulled back away from the base. Those look pretty sad.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Thanks for the tip. The holly's have really struggled at my house. Started with four Sky Pencil Holly's and only have one remaining. Three of them turned grey/brown like the one in the picture. Now these are having the same issue. I pruned the dying limbs from the shrub on the left, but it was starting to turn brown too. Can't imagine it being an over watering issue since its been so hot and dry with the exception of this last week.

I'll rake back the mulch at the base and maybe try some fungicide.
Mookie
AG
User name does not check out.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Yep, might be time for a change!
ftworthag02
AG
Do you have a irrigation system? How often are you irrigating them?
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Yes, these shrubs get watered with a zone that also waters st. Augustine, so the zone runs for 20 min with a rotor head.
ftworthag02
AG
As a licensed irrigator for 16+yrs and a A&M horticulturist I don't think I've ever seen good head to head coverage on a rotor zone that covers turf & beds. Yours might be the exception. Do you have rotors in the bed, behind the bushes? Make sure that the rotors are hitting each other. Also the rotor zones on our maintenance properties are running around 45mins during the summer, twice a week.
Cramp00
Just grow grass. Your neighbors have tbe shrubbery covered
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
ftworthag02 said:

As a licensed irrigator for 16+yrs and a A&M horticulturist I don't think I've ever seen good head to head coverage on a rotor zone that covers turf & beds. Yours might be the exception. Do you have rotors in the bed, behind the bushes? Make sure that the rotors are hitting each other. Also the rotor zones on our maintenance properties are running around 45mins during the summer, twice a week.

Mine is definitely not the exception. Yes there are rotors in the bed. One is in front of the shrubs and one is behind a shrub. Strangely the shrubs that are in front of a rotor haven't shown the same overwatering symptoms, but obviously the grass in front of the shrub struggles. I supplement that with a rotor connected to a hose.

Do you do any business in Waco? I have been considering a consultation regarding some of the issues I've noticed with the system design.
ftworthag02
AG
I do not do any business in Waco. Sorry! I would highly recommend getting a estimate to have a bed spray or drip zone installed and then move the rotors out of the bed into the turf.
Builder93
AG
If you are spraying the hollies with water you will get fungus, They are getting too wet. You need to do drip in the bed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.