Yard Going Sideways

4,156 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure the first pic is brown patch. I know how to treat that.

What is the weed in this second pic and what do I need to hit it with?

Thanks in advance.

Cromagnum
AG
Looks like sensitive plant. Do the leaves fold up when you touch them? If so, good luck getting rid of it. Im having hell with that weed too.
jefe95
AG
You sure first picture is brown patch and not webworms? Or chinch bugs?
texsn95
AG
Webworm damage looks like . Get a few gallons of hot sink water and mix with 3 to 4 tablespoons of dish soap. Soak a 3 by 3 area and you'll probably see the worms come up in 5 to 10 minutes.

Weed may be this, chamberbitter, looks like little mimosa trees.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Phyllanthus_urinaria

12th Man Ag
AG
Definitely not sure it is brown patch. I'll give that treatment a try and see if I see worms.
texsn95
AG
Have you seen any white moths fluttering around mainly at night?
12th Man Ag
AG
texsn95 said:

Have you seen any white moths fluttering around mainly at night?

No, which is what led me to the brow patch diagnosis. But, I will try the dish soap mixture tomorrow afternoon to see.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I have that same weed - I've identified it as Chamberbitter - it's been pretty hard to get rid of.
ftworthag02
AG
where are you located? when did you notice the irregular patches?
AggieOO
Cromagnum said:

Looks like sensitive plant. Do the leaves fold up when you touch them? If so, good luck getting rid of it. Im having hell with that weed too.
i've got this stuff next to my driveway on the short side of the front yard. haven't tried to get rid of it yet, but its on the list. I see it all over the neighborhood. Seems to be bad this year.
12th Man Ag
AG
ftworthag02 said:

where are you located? when did you notice the irregular patches?

Humble. Honestly, I first noticed the browning a couple of weeks ago and just haven't done anything. The rest of the yard looks perfect.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Cromagnum said:

As a fun experiment, dump some liquid nitrogen on that *****. Might kill some stuff around it, too, but it might also act as a hard frost and kill it down to the root since it does not like the cold.

Alternatively, soak the area nice and deep and pull or dig it up by hand until it stops trying to come back.
rancher1953
You have sod web worm damage or chinch bug. That is not brown patch.
ftworthag02
AG
Are there any leaf blades that have small tan/gray spots on them? Have you fertilized recently? Usually that time of year its either gray leaf spot or chinch bugs. Usually don't see brown patch or large patch this time of year. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and apply a granular insecticide and granular fungicide containing azoxystrobin just to "cya".
12th Man Ag
AG
Found a few of the moths and the guys at Kingwood Garden agreed with sod webworms. Have a couple of spray on treatments to alternate every 3-4 days for 2 weeks.

The weed was something I can't remember, but they said it needed to be pulled by hand. So, I was glad there was only about a 300 square foot area to weed. It kicked my butt making sure to get all the roots pulled up.
jswags
AG
I just had to spray for the webworms. I hate those things!
1208HawkTree
AG
Same here. Thought I had a fungus starting up Monday, but by Wednesday I had a rather large area of healthy green grass that appeared to be dying, so I looked a little closer...

water turkey
I have used everything short of napalm and still can't get rid of the webworms. They just move from one area of the yard to the other. Worst I have ever had them.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Mowing and spraying seems to knock the back a few days, then they slowly build up numbers to the next weekend
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
justsomeguy
AG
Fellas, I'm about to solve your worm problem with one hit. Run out to a nursery(not HD or Lowe's) and ask them where their cooler is of beneficial nematodes...I know you may be thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about?".... I thought the same thing. Until I read some articles about it. They are basically microorganisms that attach and kill a number of these common pests. What you're going to want to do is keep them refrigerated, mix them in some non chlorinated water(rainwater is best), let them all soak in, then pour them through a strainer(to rid your sprayer of the chunks of stuff they come on), into a sprayer that won't clog easily and spray them on your yard in the evening at dusk. You'll notice results within a week guaranteed.
jgh85Ag
AG
Good for controlling fleas and fire ants
lb3
AG
rancher1953 said:

My vote is chinch bugs in the OP and webworms in HawkTree's pics
Col. Steve Austin
AG
For the beneficial nematodes, how do you determine the application rate with a hose end sprayer? I've used them once before when we had a smaller lawn and it was not straight forward to find that info. Now we have a lawn area somewhere around 1/2 acre or so and another grassy area at the back of the property with a wooded strip in between. So maybe total somewhere around 3/4 acre total area to be treated.
jgh85Ag
AG
I just put them a five gallon bucket and use a cup to throw the water around the yard. I also make sure to either do it after a rain or water before spreading them late in the evening with no direct sun.
1208HawkTree
AG
lb3 said:

rancher1953 said:

My vote is chinch bugs in the OP and webworms in HawkTree's pics

Mine was 100% webworms, and it's been a seemingly endless battle around my entire front and back lawn. I think I've sprayed everything way to wall 5 times since it began. Our neighborhood even sent out an email to every resident saying how widespread they are this year. Fingers crossed that I'm finally done with them for now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.