Latest 'adventure' with the Rumack Compound

2,321 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Dr.Rumack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if I have mentioned before- our house was built in the 50s and is lot line to lot line with solid rock walls.

Our wonderful neighbors are putting up what I believe is a fence right against our wall. From what I've seen online, if it was built right, is that the wall should have a footing/ base that's so much deep and a bit wider than the wall itself.
Assuming it is good concrete, is this why it is taking them days to dig a few holes?
Builder93
AG
Who knows. Have you thought about walking out there and looking in the hole?
Dr.Rumack
Like I said they're 'wonderful.' Doubt they have cameras but I'm trying to avoid conflict. Not sure what they're sawing through now. I do enjoy having my coffee in the garage and listening. Today though, there seems to be more Spanish coming through the cracked window. Every 30 min. or so they whip out the tape measure to check the depth of the holes. Quite entertaining.
Dr.Rumack
How might I check that they have a permit without raising suspicions?
Ted Lasso
you sound like a great neighbor
bmc13
AG
let's see a pic
Aggietaco
AG
Permits aren't typically required for fences.
Dr.Rumack
Aggietaco said:

Permits aren't typically required for fences.

They are if they are more than 6' tall. Even more complicated if they are directly on the property line.

We have an attorney looking into exactly what the plots are vs. any survey they got. Interestingly our realtor at the time we bought the house emphatically said 'do not get a survey' while getting the house inspected.

Will keep you posted. Need to upgrade account to post pictures?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Only to host. You can upload to imgur or somewhere else and link.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Did the title policy not require a survey?
dubi
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

Did the title policy not require a survey?
If you pay cash you don't have to survey, inspect, or get title insurance. But a bad idea.

dubi
AG
Is the fence going to be wood? You could get termites from the wood so close to your house.

And if this isn't a troll, you should try to buy a few feet of their lot.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Even in a cash deal, I want a survey to prove what I am buying as well as a title policy.
ABATTBQ11
AG
And can we get some details on what makes these neighbors so bad? So far it seems like the OP is the a-hole.
Dr.Rumack
ABATTBQ11 said:

And can we get some details on what makes these neighbors so bad? So far it seems like the OP is the a-hole.
As we were painting that side of the house, they let our workers in for a few days. The last day my wife went over to have them open their gate and the old lady slammed the door in her face.

When we first moved in and redid our driveway, she was out there every morning taking pictures of our little cracks to make sure they didn't spread to their driveway.

A few weeks ago she called the police on workers that we were on our roof. Trust me, the whole family's crazy.
ravingfans
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

As we were painting that side of the house, they let our workers in for a few days. The last day my wife went over to have them open their gate and the old lady slammed the door in her face.

When we first moved in and redid our driveway, she was out there every morning taking pictures of our little cracks to make sure they didn't spread to their driveway.

A few weeks ago she called the police on workers that we were on our roof. Trust me, the whole family's crazy.

I don't envy you Doc. You don't have many options. I would not avoid the conflict, but meet it head on. Ask them what their plan is. Make sure they are not infringing on your property. Check with the city whether their are any permits. Also ask the city what their regulations are for fences.
Dr.Rumack
Just thought of this again as we're finishing up our part....

And I can post pics because I'm no longer a cheapskate.

barnacle bob
AG
WOW!! Looks like roof run off will spill directly on the fence....
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Yep. They're definitely ****ty neighbors.
ABATTBQ11
AG
That is a ****ty thing to do... Any repair or anything on that wall is going to be a pain. What does that do to runoff? Will that area collect water now?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.