by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Touchscreen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where's the downspout? On the other end of the run? I'd say it's most likely an issue of not having enough downspouts. The gutter fills up quickly from roof runoff and if there aren't an adequate number of downspouts to drain the gutter you get overflow like that. incorrect sloping can add to the problem. If the gutter slopes downward to that dead end it will just start overflowing there first.

Also, can't see the layout of the roof, but could the roof possibly be funneling water to that far edge of the gutter so that it's not being properly captured by the gutter?
Post removed:
by user
JP76
How long so that gutter and how many downspouts ?

Is there also gutter above where the higher roofline/beam
Is in the picture ?

Can you post a picture of the roof above ?

I would take a level and put it on the bottom of the gutter and make sure it is sloping toward the downspout. I can't tell you how many gutters i have fixed for people where the installer just ASSumed the fascia board was level and based the slope from the reveal on the fascia.

Also is this is truly an overloading of water on this run then you may want to think about a 6 inch gutter versus a 5.

What do you mean 1x3 gutter support ?

Does your house already have 1 or 2 fascia boards currently on it such as a 1x6 with a 1x4 nailed on top ?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Rexter
Post a pic from the yard looking at the corner. Are there splash guards in the corners?
Post removed:
by user
hillcountryag86
AG
Even $900 is a crime
Gary79Ag
AG
I've had both the soffit and fascia and freeze boards removed and replaced on 2 of my houses with smart board for about $2,400 in both cases. Included labor and materials.

Yeah, you're getting screwed for that price for just some fascia replacement.
JP76
Gary79Ag said:

I've had both the soffit and fascia and freeze boards removed and replaced on 2 of my houses with smart board for about $2,400 in both cases. Included labor and materials.

These had to be either small houses or were not done recently as lumber prices have went parabolic in the past few months.

I just did a take off recently on a on 2500 sq ft slab house and my material cost alone for the fascia, brick mold and soffit is close to $2800 for smart 1x4, 1x6 and soffit on the project.
Post removed:
by user
Gary79Ag
AG
JP76 said:

Gary79Ag said:

These had to be either small houses or were not done recently as lumber prices have went parabolic in the past few months.

I just did a take off recently on a on 2500 sq ft slab house and my material cost alone for the fascia, brick mold and soffit is close to $2800 for smart 1x4, 1x6 and soffit on the project.
Both were around 2.300 sq ft, however they were done about 5-7 years ago. And believe you me, they were done right as I monitored it all and the crew knows what they're doing!
JP76
third coast.. said:

The guyter on the garage is perfectly level according to my level. I mean the bubble is absolutely dead center.

If the gutter is level then it needs to be adjusted to have enough fall not to back up so water will run to the spout areas.

How long is the garage gutter ?

And how many downspouts ?

Are you sure the garage gutter is backing up ?

Or is what you are seeing being caused by that valley above the porch shedding water past the gutter in a hard rain ?

Also on the gutter above the porch area, are their openings on both ends where it drops into the lower gutters ? Or only one opening on the right side where it drops into the garage gutter ?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Gary79Ag
AG
Yep, that's your problem as the water should be diverted to both sides to drain properly without overflow issues as you're seeing.
Post removed:
by user
Wildman15
AG
A few things come to mind on this
1) Was there a contract signed for original scope of work and/or additional work?

2)Are you in an area hit by recent storms? If so, is this a local contractor or a "storm chaser" (a company that showed up less than 24 hours after the storm hit)

3) It's extremely petty, but if this is a roofing contractor/storm chaser, these guys live and die by reviews (Facebook, google, BBB, etc). Hinting at giving them anything less than a 5 star review might kick them into high gear to solve the issue in the same manner as mentioning a lawyer or withholding payment.
Post removed:
by user
Gary79Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

Yep. Completely agree. Thankfully that should be an easy fix as well as sloping that other one. I swear I saw a downspout on that side but might have been a shadow due to how they are aligned. Well see what these people say.

Still have not got anywhere with the fascia and drip edge replacement though.
This is the kind of thing that I've seen friends and neighbors getting taken advantage of in our area and it thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly pisses me off. I've see crap like this happen too many times and I make sure to let my neighbors and friends know who to and who not to do business with.

As a matter of fact, just today I marked up a list of contractors and subcontractors, etc to let a good friend of ours know who to either utilize for what they need done on a home renovation and to let them know who to stay away from. One of the plumbers on the list they were provided by a local realtor, I specifically annotated "Not only No, But Hell No!" based on how they've royally screwed people over in the past that I am totally aware of.

Best of luck to you in getting this issue resolved!
Post removed:
by user
Gary79Ag
AG
I could go on and on about a local plumber that totally sucks and is a leach. Can't believe they are still in business based on the crap I've seen them pull. One of the most egregious was after I sold one of my houses and the buyer called me a year later to ask if I ever had a sewer drain issue. I told her I had due to the black tar pipes that were installed throughout the subdivision when the houses were built, but I had the sewer line replaced with PVC soon after we purchased the house to alleviate the issue.

She said a plumber was telling her the sewer line from the house to the street needed to be replaced and it was going to cost $3,600.After she told me who the plumber was, I told here to tell them to get the hell off her property and told her to call a plumber I always recommend and was very familiar with.

She did and it only cost her $200 to resolve the issue as the line didn't need to be replaced and it was a minor issue they easily resolved.

I've seen 3 other incidents that the same plumbing company either screwed or tried to screw their customers, my friends and even a family member included. They are also one of the plumbing companies that handle home warranty jobs!

When someone asks for a plumber recommendation on nextdoor, I immediately respond to stay away from so and so company and recommend the company I trust!
Post removed:
by user
Builder93
AG
As an aside, the roof line on your house is a terrible design. If it were designed with longevity in mind, you wouldn't have all of these terrible spots where water can collect and rot fascia. You will be replacing this stuff again especially if the wood under the gutter is unpainted.

Edit: note the stupid location of the chimney and dormer. You are asking for water problems there.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Wildman15
AG
Double check your original contract one more time. But at the end of the day, no invoice should mean no payment.
Builder93
AG
third coast.. said:

The pitch of the covered patio addition amd ita general construction is what is leading to many of the issues.

Also whoever did the roof previously did not install drip edge on the house so thst lead to more rotting fascia.

Being a builder, what REASONABLE actions would you suggest?

I don't know what your agreement was but I would have them take the gutters down paint that wood before they put the gutter back up. It's absurd that they would leave that unpainted.
ABATTBQ11
AG
third coast.. said:

The pitch of the covered patio addition amd ita general construction is what is leading to many of the issues.

Also whoever did the roof previously did not install drip edge on the house so thst lead to more rotting fascia.

Being a builder, what REASONABLE actions would you suggest?

I'd smack the sales guy in the face. Seems reasonable to me all things considered.
jonj101
Not sure which area you're in, but if you're in the Houston area I'd recommend Katy gutters as a good vendor.

I had some gutters replaced a month and a half ago as well as extended coverage to another area. I had a number of headaches trying to work with other companies. I gave them a call and they were professional, no headache, and gave quality work with a good warranty. The only regret I have is that I didn't do 6 inch, but the 5 inch accommodates my house well enough.

EDIT: Of course, this suggestion may be moot depending on what happens with your original company..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.