2-stage AC unit? Anyone have one of these?

3,906 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
BucketofBalls99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have come to the point of I need to replace my entire unit this next week. I'm looking at a 16-seer, 5 ton unit, but considering maybe one with a 2-stage compressor.

Anyone have one of these? Do you like it? Are there any negatives? I know just having a regular 16 seer, 5 ton unit will help lower our monthly bill going forward, but also it sounds like the 2-stage compressor unit will help even a little more.

So I'm trying to figure out how much more, because it's like a $1200 difference and wondering how many months it will take to recoup thy difference

Thanks for any help/info on this
bco2003
AG
I have a Trane 2 stage 4 ton unit which was installed 2 years ago. The 4 ton is slightly oversized for the space (I have another older 4 ton for the 2nd floor), but being slightly oversized is not an issue with the unit being 2 staged. I hate humidity, and believe the 2 stage helps keeps the humidity levels in check. It runs on the first stage the majority of the time, but the 2nd stage kicks on on especially hot days, so is nice to have that backup when the heat dictates it.

I'm concerned if I didn't have the 2 stages, it wouldn't run enough to take care of the humidity/comfort levels.

If you are just going for long term savings, may not be worth it.

It is worth the extra cost for me just for comfort, and I would do it again.
redag06
I have a 2 stage, i didn't install it.

But since I've been in the home I've insulated, new windows, and new roof, so now the unit doesn't do that great with controlling humidity, but definitely handles the heat.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What bco2003 said. 2 stage is great for humidity control but has reserve capacity for July-Sept.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
bco2003
AG
redag06 said:

I have a 2 stage, i didn't install it.

But since I've been in the home I've insulated, new windows, and new roof, so now the unit doesn't do that great with controlling humidity, but definitely handles the heat.
If it was a single stage, I'd argue that your humidity levels would be even worse.

Are you sure your 2nd stage isn't kicking on too soon? My ecobee thermostat by default enables my 2nd stage much sooner than I think is appropriate, so I've adjusted it to leave the 1st stage running longer to drive down the humidity.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
BucketofBalls99 said:

I have come to the point of I need to replace my entire unit this next week. I'm looking at a 16-seer, 5 ton unit, but considering maybe one with a 2-stage compressor.

Anyone have one of these? Do you like it? Are there any negatives? I know just having a regular 16 seer, 5 ton unit will help lower our monthly bill going forward, but also it sounds like the 2-stage compressor unit will help even a little more.

So I'm trying to figure out how much more, because it's like a $1200 difference and wondering how many months it will take to recoup thy difference

Thanks for any help/info on this

Quality of comfort imo is worth the extra cost. However, we can often get the price almost the same on many bids.

A one day install for a one stage versus a one day install for a 2 stage both take a single install day for us. We bid pretty aggressive to get ppl to a better SEER and system.

Www.ecozapphvac.com
TravelAg2004
AG
Definintely go with a 2 stage if you have the chance.

We did a remodel (gut) last year and replaced the AC and ducts. The house had an old 5 ton, so we just replaced with a single stage 5 ton rather than spend the extra to go with the 2 stage unit.

Cools the house great, but a good part of the year it runs for less than 15 minutes at a time so we never really get the humidity out like I'd like. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 2 stage in a heart beat.
saltydog13
AG
I'd go single stage paired with whole home dehumidifier. And that's coming from someone with a 2 stage unit. It'll be cheaper than a 2 stage and have much better humidity control obviously.
Vernada
AG
2 stage owner here.

One benefit that I haven't seen mentioned yet is how well the unit will cool your house most of the time without noise or blowing your hair around. I barely notice our unit when it's in stage 1.
MAS444
AG
2 stage here on new home and love it. Very low humidity (45% usually) and rarely notice when it's on/off.
MyMamaSaid
AG
I had both my dilapidated 3 ton single stage units go out within 2 days of each other (evap coil, condenser motor) a couple of months ago, so replaced with 2 Carrier 16 SEER 2 stage systems in Houston.

Wow, what a difference. The comfort level in the house is amazingly better now that the humidity Is down to about 45% from about 57% with the single stage units. The points herein about the noise level almost inaudible is very true. And when the temps are really high as they were last week, the systems' second stage handles it with ease. I've been working from home since mid-March and have really appreciated the improved comfort.

I'm not sure if there is significant cost savings. However, if you can afford the extra equipment charges and the potential (emphasize potential) of higher maintenance costs down the road, I strongly suggest the 2 stage systems.

As they say, YMMV
Dr. Doctor
AG
I replaced my 2004 Ruud units with a 17 SEER 2 stage upstairs and a variable speed (5 stage) downstairs.

I've dropped the set points by 5 to 7 degrees in both floors inside and the power usage actuality went down. I've guessed that I'd be saving about 20 to 30% on power.

Downstairs does the dehumidifying and the upstairs runs a lot of the time during the day in the hot time.

And the sounds, but outside and inside, are MUCH much quieter. Well worth the cost.

~egon
Birddog
AG
Last Spring we replaced our 21yo unit with a two stage American Standard. As many have stated, humidity removal is very noticeably improved. It is so quiet, at first I though something was wrong, but outside and inside unit run very quite. The efficiency of the unit is noticeable, we keep house much cooler than before.
halibut sinclair
We have a Trane 2-stage installed back in February. It has saved money on our electric bill, and really does suck the humidity out of the house. One thing I have noticed - when it's not quite hot enough outside for the 2nd stage to kick on (upper 80s - low 90s), the first stage sometimes isn't able to keep the temp. at what we have the thermostat set on. Works great when it's upper 90s - over 100. Any thoughts about that for you 2-stage owners?
Read-Only Memory
I have a 2 stage unit upstairs and a variable speed inverter unit downstairs. If you are planning on staying in the house spring for the truly variable speed unit. 2 stage units normally run at something like 70% / 100% while variable speed units will run from 30% to 100% and match their output to your needs exactly. Downside to variable speed is you will generally need to buy the Mfg thermostat. That being said spring for the 2 speed over the single speed.
Frok
AG
The 2 stage AC unit I was quoted was too pricey for me. The one speed 16 SEER unit already provides better efficiency. I've never had comfort issues in my house due to humidity since it's hot enough to keep the AC running most of the time anyways.

bco2003
AG
halibut sinclair said:

We have a Trane 2-stage installed back in February. It has saved money on our electric bill, and really does suck the humidity out of the house. One thing I have noticed - when it's not quite hot enough outside for the 2nd stage to kick on (upper 80s - low 90s), the first stage sometimes isn't able to keep the temp. at what we have the thermostat set on. Works great when it's upper 90s - over 100. Any thoughts about that for you 2-stage owners?
What type of thermostat are you using? Sounds like it should be programmed to call for the second stage sooner.

I have an ecobee, which can be configured to enable the second stage:

1. Automatically, don't know their exact algorithm, but it generally kicks on the second stage sooner than I like
2. Temperature degree differential - You can set it to turn on the 2nd stage if the measured inside temperature is X degrees warmer than the setpoint
3. Max Stage 1 runtime - It will enable the second stage of the first stage runs longer than X minutes

I have mine set on #2, with the second stage coming on if the measured temperature is 2 degrees warmer than the setpoint. I also use the reverse staging option, where if the temperature lowers to within 1 degree of the setpoint, it re-enables the first stage.

I really like the configurability of the ecobee.
Texker
AG
We installed a 2 stage American Standard in our previous house (2300 sq ft) when our unit died. The comfort level was well worth the cost. In stage 1 you barely noticed it was running. Worth every penny. Love my "new" house but the AC units, although relatively new, suck in comparison.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
halibut sinclair said:

What I think you are essentially saying is on certain days, 60% [1st stage] is too little cooling, and 100% [2nd stage] is too much cooling. The space between 60-100% is where a variable speed system really helps. One solution is add insulation, lower humidity. We keep our 2nd stage delay point high so we use ceiling fans to bridge the gap in our old house. Additional insulation is the most cost effective route, and most old houses don't have nearly enough, but I haven't brought myself to do it yet because it's going to mess up my walkways.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
clobby
AG
We replaced our unit this summer with a 2 stage and it has been a game changer. House gets too damn cold now.
halibut sinclair
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

halibut sinclair said:

What I think you are essentially saying is on certain days, 60% [1st stage] is too little cooling, and 100% [2nd stage] is too much cooling. The space between 60-100% is where a variable speed system really helps. One solution is add insulation, lower humidity. We keep our 2nd stage delay point high so we use ceiling fans to bridge the gap in our old house. Additional insulation is the most cost effective route, and most old houses don't have nearly enough, but I haven't brought myself to do it yet because it's going to mess up my walkways.
Our house is only 15 years old and has more than enough insulation, so that's not the issue. It's probably a setting issue. I will have to contact the a/c company about it.
halibut sinclair
bco2003 said:

halibut sinclair said:

What type of thermostat are you using? Sounds like it should be programmed to call for the second stage sooner.

1. Automatically, don't know their exact algorithm, but it generally kicks on the second stage sooner than I like
2. Temperature degree differential - You can set it to turn on the 2nd stage if the measured inside temperature is X degrees warmer than the setpoint
3. Max Stage 1 runtime - It will enable the second stage of the first stage runs longer than X minutes

I have mine set on #2, with the second stage coming on if the measured temperature is 2 degrees warmer than the setpoint. I also use the reverse staging option, where if the temperature lowers to within 1 degree of the setpoint, it re-enables the first stage.

Our thermostat is the Trane XL824 that came with the system. There are lots of settings that only the technician can access.
MAS444
AG
We had issues with humidity when our new 2 stage system was first installed. We had Nest thermostats. Eventually went to the manufacturer's thermostat and the installer was able to eventually get the settings dialed in to where ours is running great with very low humidity.
bco2003
AG
halibut sinclair said:

bco2003 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Our thermostat is the Trane XL824 that came with the system. There are lots of settings that only the technician can access.
I see, thanks. I'm guessing your thermostat could be optimized to prevent your over-heating issues, but an ecobee certainly would with one of the 3 options I mentioned above.
pnut02
AG
MAS444 said:

We had issues with humidity when our new 2 stage system was first installed. We had Nest thermostats. Eventually went to the manufacturer's thermostat and the installer was able to eventually get the settings dialed in to where ours is running great with very low humidity.
Same here, tried swapping out the manufacturer's thermostat with an Ecobee and had much higher humidity and more runtime
htxag09
AG
Have a trane variable unit with the manufacturers thermostat. It works well with the unit and can be accessed remotely, so we make do. But I'd like nest or Ecobee have one compatible come out soon to swap out. It can't do simple things like using a sensor to know when nobody's home and adjusting. You have to set up geofencing which seems to be a pretty big battery drain and had other issues.
88agswin
AG
If you are in the Houston area give us a call...I own Enviromax Services and helped a ton of Ags with their AC issues. 713-466-7555 Jim Wolf class of '88
BucketofBalls99
We went with an Amana 2-stage system. It's only been 3 days with it so far, but we absolutely live it. Thanks for all the info and recs!
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
BucketofBalls99 said:

We went with an Amana 2-stage system. It's only been 3 days with it so far, but we absolutely live it. Thanks for all the info and recs!
- Next Pro Tip: Buy a JB Warranty for 10 years WITHIN 2 Years of Install.

Working with Home Warranty companies can be tough, JB Warranties only covers a few items attached to homes. HVAC companies get paid decent w/ far less headaches than home warranties companies.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.