Building a desk - Tools needed

1,903 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which tools would you think you would need for building a desk out of basic lumber?

I need a desk with very specific specs and I decided it would be fun to try to build one. (Simple table top, nothing fancy, I am a beginner)

I have:

- Miter Saw
- Circle Saw
- Drill

What I think I might need:

- Kreg pocket hole jig
- Nailgun & compressor
- Table Saw
- Jig saw

I don't want to buy all of these. I'm trying to determine which tools are worth buying for this particular project and would be useful for more projects down the road. Curious to hear from those who do this type of stuff.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I built a farmhouse table and bench for the kitchen about 8 years ago with a jobsite table saw, kreg jig and a circular saw.

I've also built a standing desk (fixed, it doesn't go up and down) but just the tabletop for that is wood - the rest is black pipe. For that I used the same set of tools, but had a nicer saw at that point.

Either way, for a basic desk, all you probably need is a circular saw and the kreg (just cause pocket holes make it easy). Especially if you can find dimensions of lumber that match your needs - you'll really only need the table saw if you're wanting to rip long boards down.

A router is also nice to be able to throw something on the edges of the wood (champfer, rounded, etc.)
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I'll also add some kind of sander to the mix cause odds are you're going to have to sand things down to smooth out some of your joints.
AgEngr16
AG
Depends on what you are planning to build the desk from.

If you are going with plywood top/sides then a table saw or a circular saw guide if you want to save a few hundred dollars.

If it is being made from dimensional lumber or nicer finishing pine/oak then a miter saw, pocket hole jig, sander and drill would do just fine. One thing to add if going this route could be a biscuit cutter for alignment and a touch of added strength on the top.

Either way, don't forget your glue.
RustyBoltz
AG
With what you have, you need nothing more unless your desk is going to involve cabinetry. Simpson has simple plans for desks and workbenches based on dim lumber that utilize their connectors: https://www.strongtie.com/homeowners/projects
agrams
AG
post your plans if you can.

If you want, shoot me an email (in profile). I am in FW and could offer some help if you are near.

dont overlook getting hardwood for the top. you would probably pay less for it from a mill than Lowe's or home depot would charge you for dimensional oak or poplar. and it will be a lot more durable.
Builder93
AG
The sky is the limit. The fireplace is the lower limit.

Spend your money on good materials. It's hard as a beginner to make bad materials work well. The tools you need are going to depend on your design and how involved the joinery will need to be. Dont think you are going to make a desk from lumber in the 2x4 aisle at Home Depot unless you have a jointer and a planer.
Frok
AG
Appreciate the advice so far. I have no set plans yet. I've been looking around at different plans on the web. I'll share when I land on one I like.

Good comment on the lumber. I was going to dive into that once I decided a design. I figured the top should be better quality.
agrams
AG
download and play with sketchup. it will help you figure out your joints and layout.

I have some models of desks I've built i could send you that you could tweak or use. I've spent a lot of time figuring out ergonomics and functionality in desks. it is probably one of the most fun project types because it allow me to play with function and style.
javajaws
AG
If your just buying "for one project" then it's best to work your way back from the design. Then you only buy the actual tools you need. The style and materials will really dictate what you need.

Want something modern with a premade butcher block top and steel pipe legs? That would require a different toolset than building a laminate top or jointing boards together to make a top with a fine furniture style bottom.
Builder93
AG
BTW, everybody goes with pocket screws but the truth is that you can do good joinery without spending a ton on special tools. Our great grandparents built beautiful stuff with out mortise machines and tenoning jigs. You can do mortise and tenon joints with different types of hand saws and chisels. It doesn't take as long as you think and it is very satisfying accomplishment. You can even make mortise and tenon joints and pin them with dowels which looks pretty cool.

Don't assume you can't do it. Just slow down and enjoy the process. It will give you a better appreciation for the material and it's characteristics.
agrams
AG
yup, with a table saw and a router you could most traditional joinery, which will be stronger than your pocket hole.

When I do custom projects for people I always push to do traditional joinery. Its nicer, stronger, and honestly more fun to build. Pocket jigs have a place, but that is a decision between cost, convenience, and quality.

When I did this desk for an Ag I did 100% mortise/tenon/dado/rabbet joinery (drawers were dovetailed, but that is another can of worms)

GrimesCoAg95
AG
For a desk, you can glue-up a top and use cabinet grade plywood for the sides & drawers. To glue-up a top like that you need square (s4s) lumber, clamps, and glue. A jointer helps a lot to prepare the lumber, but you can do a fairly good job with a track or table saw. If you want to use a table saw you need to start with one straight edge. I am no agrams, but my garage workshop is in Grimes County if you need help.

I think agrams has a wide sander which helps a lot when gluing panels.
agrams
AG
yeah, I have a wide drum sander, but 90% of what I do with it is larger tabletops/desktops and cutting boards.

Solid wood panels usually don't get over 20", which my planer can handle. Anything larger than that has historically been veneer (see the above koa desk for example).

Either way Frok, lots of Ag's with some access to machines are around to help. Use them. You will find most woodworkers are happy to help and enjoy sharing what they know and some time to help. With a little time and support you can turn an average project in to something unique that should last a lot longer.

For tops, I have some slab desktops laying around. Some may be outside your budget, but some, for a few hundred dollars, could be really nice pieces.
Frok
AG
As a complete beginner mortise and tenon joints scare me a bit. That is why I was thinking of starting with a simple project like a small desk. But maybe I'll youtube and consider giving it a try.

I'll update as I figure out what I'm doing.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Let us know how it is going. There are a lot of folks on here that will help. Many can share knowledge and some might be able to share their shop and tools with you.
Scriffer
AG
Clamps. Lots of clamps.

Woot has these on sale today. I picked up a set since I don't have parallel clamps yet.

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/bora-4-piece-parallel-clamp-set?ref=mwj_h_f_so_9
ABATTBQ11
AG
Frok said:

As a complete beginner mortise and tenon joints scare me a bit. That is why I was thinking of starting with a simple project like a small desk. But maybe I'll youtube and consider giving it a try.

I'll update as I figure out what I'm doing.

Tenons are not hard to cut with a table saw. The mortises are what can be tricky. Having a very sharp chisel and/or a good router setup is the key. You want to remove as much material as possible with the router (you can drill out some of the material as well to reduce the work on the router), then finish the corners with the chisel.

Alternatively, you could cut the mortise with the router and roundover the tenon.

Also, get some scrap pieces and simply practice. I've gotten into the habit of trying out new things on small scales with scrap to practice what I want to make. After I've made all of my mistakes and learned a thing or two about what I'm doing, then I'll do it for real and (hopefully) not screw it up.
Frok
AG
Ended up using a simple plan that used only 2x4s. I used a pocket screw jig and I really like using it. It was simple for a beginner like me.

I did learn that I could use more clamps. At one point I had a difficult time keep boards from moving while drilling because I didn't have a clamp long enough.

The result is good however it wobbles. I have one leg that is slightly shorter than the other 3. I guess my cutting precision was off.

Dogdoc
AG
Good job. That's a nice looking first project.
Now that you've got the bug, prepare to spend thousands on new power equipment as you build more complicated furniture.
Frok
AG
Dogdoc said:

Good job. That's a nice looking first project.
Now that you've got the bug, prepare to spend thousands on new power equipment as you build more complicated furniture.

I know, I've been looking at tools online while watching football today
Builder93
AG
Frok said:

Ended up using a simple plan that used only 2x4s. I used a pocket screw jig and I really like using it. It was simple for a beginner like me.

I did learn that I could use more clamps. At one point I had a difficult time keep boards from moving while drilling because I didn't have a clamp long enough.

The result is good however it wobbles. I have one leg that is slightly shorter than the other 3. I guess my cutting precision was off.

They almost always wobble. It could also be the floor is not level.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.