Cutting Through Concrete / Rebar

752 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jetescamilla
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an old tree ring around a tree in my front yard. It was built up with stone and brick. I am removing it and redoing it. Everything above ground was cracked and falling apart and came off in pieces. It appears the base in the ground is concrete with rebar. It's still one solid piece. What's the best thing to use to cut through the concrete and rebar to get it into smaller pieces so it can be removed?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Depending on the size...

Sledgehammer and a hack saw or rent a gasoline powered concrete saw from orange, blue, or other tool rental shop.
ratfacemcdougal
jtraggie99 said:

I have an old tree ring around a tree in my front yard. It was built up with stone and brick. I am removing it and redoing it. Everything above ground was cracked and falling apart and came off in pieces. It appears the base in the ground is concrete with rebar. It's still one solid piece. What's the best thing to use to cut through the concrete and rebar to get it into smaller pieces so it can be removed?
John Wick
Jason Ag
AG
Use water with the saw (some have a built in connection) and/or wear a mask. Don't breath the concrete dust.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Concrete saw is for precision cuts. Rent a jack hammer.
jtraggie99
AG
Thanks guys. So, I do not currently own any type of powered cutting tool. No power saw, no nothing. Actually, I take that back. I have an old Drimmel, but that's it. I read some suggestions at using a angle grinder with a diamond blade, or something of the sort. I was debating about picking one up, as opposed to just renting. I just wasn't sure if that would be a good approach or not. I have a hammer drill that does a good job of breaking up stone / concrete, just need something else for the rebar.

I appreciate the suggestions.
ABATTBQ11
AG
If it's in one piece, why not level it with mortar and reuse?

Also, if you go the angle grinder route, get one from harbor freight.
Tumble Weed
An angle grinder will go through the steel. I would use a bar to bust up the concrete.

I have something similar to

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-69-in-San-Angelo-Bar-34220/204168184

and use it for all kinds of projects.
jetescamilla
AG
how thick is the slab? yes and angle grinder with a diamond blade will work, I've removed concrete countertops with it but it's slow going and dusty. Honestly for your time and cost I'd just go to a tool rental shop and rent a small chipping hammer. It'll come with some bits to break everything up. It's pretty self explanatory to use, of worse comes to worse just go to you tube.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.