Outdoor Movie Projector

1,129 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mmetag10
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife is wanting to do an outdoor movie for our kids birthdays (combined party). I don't hate the idea but thinking if we rent one or two times we might as well buy and maybe I can even watch live sports on. Anyone have a setup you use including screen, projector and sound? What kind of cost? Anything to avoid or definitely ensure I get?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
For the most part they are useless when it's light outside, we use ours a lot more in the winter when it's dark earlier
planoaggie123
AG
Fair point and agree. This would be a late in the evening summer / fall thing. No expectation of use in daylight.
planoaggie123
AG
I have seen some use blowup screens and some use actual screen with stands which i would hate blowing up unless it was extremely cost beneficial.
Mike92
AG
I bought the one in the link below a few years ago. I used it indoors since I was in a rental and didn't want to hang a screen on the wall, but it's made for outdoor use. It was pretty cheap too.

Elite Screens Yard Master 2
adamrod
I use the same projector I use inside. I think it's this one:
epson
For the screen, I have an old pull down one I picked up from a school auction years ago. I just hang it from my pergola.
For sound, I already have a pair of yamaha outdoor speakers mounted for music. I hook the projector up to a FM transmitter and send the sound inside and then back out through the speakers. Not a great sound setup, but it doesn't require hooking anything extra up, so it's a winner.

I also have a portable bluetooth speaker that has an FM tuner, so I can move that around the yard as needed.

I've been surprised at how well it works. As long as the movie isn't really dark, we can usually start them at 8pm. I also invite my neighbors over if we're planning to be out there late to minimize complaints.

Edit: Also, a 100" screen inside is HUGE. a 100" screen outside is meh. Photo shows projector before being strapped down so that it wouldn't fall into the water.

Foamcows
AG
man, how do yall not have issues with mosquitos?
cena05
AG
I have two dynatraps and spray Bifin IT. Haven't had a mosquito all summer in my backyard.
chickencoupe16
AG
cena05 said:

I have two dynatraps and spray Bifin IT. Haven't had a mosquito all summer in my backyard.

I assumed foamcows was asking adamrod and that you were adamrod... But you're not... Did you just out your sock?

If not, I guess I'm missing some posts and am very confused.
bobinator
AG
I assumed they were asking anyone with an outdoor projector.

I have a pretty cheap outdoor projector setup that I put together just buying cheap stuff on the facebook marketplace. The light is definitely the biggest problem, going to be mounting a TV out there fairly soon.
cena05
AG
No, just commented on the mosquitoes. Sorry for the confusion.
Mmetag10
AG
My wife bought me a projector last year. We just hang a sheet over our garage door. Kinda redneck but It's worked great so far. Kids love it. If it's too light outside pull the cars out and hang the sheet inside the garage. Same experience for the kids but dark enough with the door shut.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.