Foundation Stain - Question

757 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Builder93
sleepybeagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody ever seen stains like this on a foundation?

What do you think it could be? My shower and tub is the room above this - so my first thought is a leak of some sort. We don't use the tub, and I've caulked the shower so it's fairly tight. There are two stains that have been there for about 2 years and don't go away. Anybody have any experience with something like this?

thanks!

Stain #1

Stain #2

Both

Kenneth_2003
AG
Whats the floorcovering? If carpet can you peel it back and take a look at the slab?
sleepybeagle
AG
Tile. No sign of leakage inside.
rilloaggie
AG
Is your foundation post-tension? If so, those may be the location of the "live end" of the cables. Typical procedure is to put a plastic cap over the cable end once stressed and cut, then grout covers the cable and pocket. If the cable isn't covered with a plastic cap, you could potentially be seeing the grease that coats the cable wicking it's way through the grout they used to cover the ends and to pretty up your foundation.

ETA: assuming you're home is post-tension, stain #2 is in a location where you will see a cable end something like 99% of the time.
fka ftc
Agree. "Wet" looking stain that won't go away in those locations could be from the post-tension cables.

How old is house and did you buy it new? That spalling on the corner and in near the stain on the left, though both cosmetic, would be unacceptable to me. Also spalling with the left stain would be another indicator of the post-tension cable location.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'll add... i never thought about post tension cables as i never intended a property with them. The stains are in a good position to be on the lower 1/3 of the slab and not in the grade beam.

The corner spalling... the brick layer should have laid a short strip of plastic on the last foot or so of the brick ledge to prevent thermal action on the brick from breaking the corner off. They did not di that and it's a common corner that gets cut. Pun intended or not, you'r choice.

All of that surface work is cosmetic to cover the lumber form texture on the slab.
sleepybeagle
AG
The house was built in 2009. Thanks for everyone's input! We're thinking of selling the house and appreciate everyone's feedback.

So the group feedback is this is from tension cables and just cosmetic - nothing needed to be done?
Builder93
AG
Are the sprinklers hitting that area?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.