A/C condensate line - any experience with this valve?

2,166 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by toolshed
OCEN99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of days ago I noticed some dripping coming from our a/c's secondary drain line. I checked in the attic, and there was a little bit of water in the drain pan, but the level was way below the shutoff switch trigger point. Still, I figure I ought to try blowing out the primary line to avoid any potential issues down the line as we have had some nasty clogs in there before that lead to water backing up in our bathroom sink.

The last time we had a a/c guy come work on a clog, he installed this valve in the primary line:

My research tells me this is a Searco QB1 blowout isolation valve. I get the idea of it: closing the valve, then hooking a compressed gas source to the downstream side to blow out the line. I'm hitting a snag though figuring out what all I'll need in terms of hardware to connect into the side tap.

It looks like an oversized Schrader valve from what I can tell, so probably some sort of specialized end fitting would be needed on a hose. Not really sure tbh since I've never done any sort of a/c work on my own. Has anyone had any experience tying into one of these and has a good idea of what all parts would be needed?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Why not just close the valve and put the compressed air in the vertical piece you pour the bleach down?
OCEN99
AG
The valve is downstream from that tee. I suppose I could put in another one past the valve if all else fails.
texsn95
AG
I installed similar valves on my AC 2 drain lines, and a few inches downstream added the pvc adapter that allows you to connect a water hose. So every few years I run my hose up, close the valve, and get it cleaned out.
toolshed
AG

Did you already watch this video? Not sure how helpful it is, he explains several parts/ connections in it. But I half paid attention with kids next to me.
OCEN99
AG
Yeah I did see that video. I guess I'm mainly not clear what he means by "gauge hose" in terms of pressure rating & end fittings.
toolshed
AG
Guatemala hoses would be the hoses the service guy uses to check pressures on your system.

I'd go to an ac supply house and see if they have something that will go from the larger fitting to an air compressor hose fitting, or maybe they have the co2 guns shown in the video.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.