Fiberglass pool

2,104 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bottlerocket
tinman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any experience good or bad with fiberglass pools? Thanks in advance.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
This idea. It's bad.
aggiedad04
S
Been looking at them myself. Everything I can read says they are a good investment and the main drawback between them and concrete is you don't have the option for design. Limited to what the dealer can get but most have numerous styles to choose from..
Ctxaggie
AG
We purchased a 35 ft in-ground fiberglass pool with salt water generator to chlorinate 3 summers ago and love it. The best thing is hardly no maintenance with the fiberglass being non porous as it does not allow algae to grow. We took a hard look at concrete and fiberglass when we purchased, and now that we are into our 3rd summer I can say that I would choose fiberglass again. The cost savings over a concrete pool is nice, but the ease of maintenance is the real value.
tinman
AG
Thanks for the information. I am reading all the same information about the positives.
Mookie
AG
We are debating the same. Interested to see the replies. Also interested why the one that just says, "it's bad" has so many stars.
Canyon99
My brother just spent 80K on a pool. I think I could get a hell of a lot better deal on a fiberglass pool that fits my needs.
cab559
AG
Fiberglass is for lol poors. Choose wisely
Canyon99
Fiberglass will go well with my '94 Toyota Corolla parked under the Metal Mart carport.
Rice and Fries
Mookie said:

We are debating the same. Interested to see the replies. Also interested why the one that just says, "it's bad" has so many stars.

Get a fiberglass and see how much you like it in 10-15 years. Also, there is real truth in the lol poors comment from a perspective of what people will think when you're selling your house.

Don't get me wrong, if I could buy a pool with my next house, I am going to. But if that pool is a fiberglass pool, I'm not gonna buy the house.
sbs
AG
My parents installed one over 40 years ago. Very low maintenance. As already mentioned, you don't have to worry about algae staining it.
cab559
AG
The real comparison should be fiberglass vs an above ground pool. I view them similarly.
Ctxaggie
AG
My fiberglass pool alone ran about 41k. Similar size concrete was another 15k. I could afford either but was sold on the maintenance, but the initial savings was nice. My neighbors pool took 5 months to complete while mine took 10 days. Mine also has a small safety ledge on the sides which was very important to me having small kids.

We've had a few friends that choose fiberglass after seeing ours and they love them.
tinman
AG
Thanks for all the replies and useful information.
Mookie
AG
Rice and Fries said:

Mookie said:

Get a fiberglass and see how much you like it in 10-15 years. Also, there is real truth in the lol poors comment from a perspective of what people will think when you're selling your house.

Don't get me wrong, if I could buy a pool with my next house, I am going to. But if that pool is a fiberglass pool, I'm not gonna buy the house.

What's going to happen in 10-15 years? Genuinely curious. I get the stigma of drop in vs. gunite but other than the vanity I am not versed in the drawbacks. .
rondis23
AG
Some of the new fiberglass pools are just as expensive as concrete/gunite. Fiberglass pools have definitely come a long ways over the years. Not sure those bashing the in ground fiberglass pools on here have seen what's available in the market as of late.
Aggietaco
AG
Mookie said:

It's just the same folks that would never drive a Palisade because it's a Hyundai. Hard to shake the preconceived notions.
Bottlerocket
AG
Get whatever you like. Fiberglass has come a long way. I have a concrete/gunnite pool - they are superior for custom configurations. If that isn't important to you, I'm sure you can find suitable fiberglass in a configuration that works. Not gonna lie, the idea of not having to brush the walls with a fiberglass pool is enticing

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.