What is this weed?

2,296 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BenRev09
cml08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And how do I kill it? Coming up all throughout my Bermuda.

Aggie Apple
AG
Nutsedge? I've never used it, but people suggest SedgeHammer if it's nutsedge. Hard to tell from the pics.
Texker
AG
Definitely nutshedge. It's a PITA. Lowe's or HD carries hose-end spray that will take it out.
karmapoliceman
AG
It's green kyllinga, which is a species of sedge. Not sure where you are, but Randy Lemmon (Houston gardening guru) recommends using Sedgehammer because it can be used year round. I've had success with it.

Be careful, though. Not all products that address sedge can be applied year round and may damage your turf during warmer months. Here is some info from Lemmon:

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/gardenline-with-randy-lemmon/content/2019-08-14-controlling-nutgrass-nutsedge-and-kyllinga/
texsn95
AG
I've had good luck using Image for nutsedge but it does take awhile. Spray it and forget it.
BenRev09
AG
Sorry to piggyback but any guidance on this?

texsn95
AG
Does it have small white flowers that come out? If so it looks like virgina buttonweed. We have some small patches of the vb, and have killed the growth in the past with a selective herbicide, but am slowly finding any new growth and trying to pull the root out. Stubborn ****ers are covered in seed pods that drop and stay protected until the next year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=virginia+buttonweed&safe=strict&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS841US841&sxsrf=ALeKk01_HKxyROKFVj398vYLxBg68kxUIQ:1594330605394&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oRj31uweEAqr2M%252Cr6xydqIw0SCvyM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQjzOS-yXlRQlVjcH6HUn4Oj9OV0A&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwg46rkMHqAhVIKa0KHZ6PAHkQ_h0wF3oECAkQBQ&biw=1517&bih=694#imgrc=oRj31uweEAqr2M
water turkey
I pull Virgina button weed. It you get it early, you can keep it under control.
JSKolache
AG
Theres a recent thread on here about killing sedge. Im working on mine now...
Charlie Murphy
Gonna have to pull that buttonweed by hand.
BenRev09
AG
Thanks all for the info. Haven't seen the white flower but comparing against other pictures that's most certainly it. Should I drop in squares of st. Augustine to fill in any big patches I pull up or just let the lawn takeover? Make a difference?
philiah06
AG
I'm in Austin.
Gary79Ag
AG
BenRev09 said:

Thanks all for the info. Haven't seen the white flower but comparing against other pictures that's most certainly it. Should I drop in squares of st. Augustine to fill in any big patches I pull up or just let the lawn takeover? Make a difference?
No need to drop squares as the SA will cover over time as long as you fertilize and water properly.

Years ago, I had about 20,000 sf of backyard space by the creek dunning through the backyard that was full of weeds, etc that I sprigged with 6 tilled rows of SA clippings over 2 summers and it eventually covered the entire area over a 4 year period. I wasn't in a hurry to get it all sodded and didn't want to spend the money to sod it anyways. Looks great!!!
BenRev09
AG
Thank you sir! Actually attempting to do something similar but on a much smaller scale - put up a new fence and reclaimed some property. Can see it starting to take hold but need to up my fertilizer game using the recs on this board.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.