Cap Off Sprinkler Heads?

1,635 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by planoaggie123
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have two heads that provide no water to any plants and one actually hits a door and has caused a little rot.

Rain Bird seems to have an actual part that will cap off but haven't found such a product for the Hunter and the Hunter is above ground so not sure how that impacts my ability. Any thoughts on the Hunter?

Seems fairly straight forward but any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Sazerac
AG
Rainbird makes a cap that goes on top of that canister after you unscrew the canister head. See if the Hunter is the same size.

Else unscrew the entire canister from the line (May have to dig down a bit) and cap At the line.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks. I may ty to dig and cap off the Hunter otherwise i will have an above-ground sprinkler head that is capped off and will just be "ugly". The Rain Bird, is closer to the ground and once i cap i can move some rock around it and it wont be as obvious....
mAgnoliAg
AG
Just remove and cap at the fitting. However, just so readers know, the rainbird body cap is the same size and fits hunter heads also I believe.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. These parts are pretty cheap. I will grab 2 of the rain bird caps and also get a few other options. Costs more to go to/from the store than just picking up a few extra $1 parts....
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I did something similar this spring. I bought the 6incg riser and a screw on cap. They stick up just above landscape line, and if I ever change from rock to plants I know where the lines are.

ETA pic. Ignore kiddo junk.

gigem70
AG
If you are only wanting to turn off the spray at that head turn that screw until it shuts off.
planoaggie123
AG
Oh is it that easy? I thought that was to adjust but didn't assume it would shut off completely. I bought a cap for the Rain Bird ($1.50) but the Hunter pop-up is a pain to find (produced in MX and apparently COVID slowing down shipments) so may give the screw a shot...
PlanoAg98
AG
I have a few sprinkler heads in my yard that I wanted permanently off. I just dug down, unscrewed the sprinkler head, put a PVC riser tall enough, and put a screw on cap. The option will always be there to put another type of irrigation head there. You can even spray paint the PVC riser/cap after installation to a color that will blend with the background.
Picard
AG
gigem70 said:

If you are only wanting to turn off the spray at that head turn that screw until it shuts off.

Yes, just turn the screw off. Simple as that.

mAgnoliAg
AG
Picard said:

gigem70 said:

Yes, just turn the screw off. Simple as that.

Unless there's no filter in the nozzle
planoaggie123
AG
I ended up just doing the screw-on cap from Rain Bird. Under $5 in total to do both (Rain Bird cap worked on the Hunter as well). Keeping the "guts" just in case we change anything up down the road but I am about 95% those will never be used again.

Pretty sure if I had used a sprinkler company i would be out over $80 and this cost me $5 and under 2 min...
aggiemike02
AG
can you post a link to the cap at HD or Lowes? thanks
planoaggie123
AG
Sure!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rain-Bird-Sealed-Cap-Drip-Irrigation-Connector/1002739162
Sazerac
AG
I got a big bag off amazon. Have a ton leftover if anyone needs a few in west Houston.
planoaggie123
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I ended up just doing the screw-on cap from Rain Bird. Under $5 in total to do both (Rain Bird cap worked on the Hunter as well). Keeping the "guts" just in case we change anything up down the road but I am about 95% those will never be used again.

Pretty sure if I had used a sprinkler company i would be out over $80 and this cost me $5 and under 2 min...
EDIT: RAIN BIRD CAP DID NOT WORK ON HUNTER. I screwed it on but apparently did not thread well. I tested last night and the top flew off haha.

Thankfully using the little top screw I was able to get about 99% of water flow to stop. At this point I no longer have water hitting my door which is what I wanted. Next step is to knock out about 3 or 4 other heads that are 100% unnecessary. Its like one of the previous owners said to put in a sprinkler head every 4 feet regardless if shurbs / grass etc. Its amazing...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.