Reptilian Invasion

3,601 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lizards and anoles have been getting a little worse every year. They're everywhere and they like to come in the house.

Any success finding methods of deterrence?
Caesar4
AG
We built & installed an Eastern Screech Owl nestbox, not for the purpose of addressing your problem. But, we've noticed fewer lizards, rodents after the owls began making use of the nestbox.

Nestbox plans
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm guessing they are moving in because there's a food source. Maybe spray for pests more frequently or try a new formula.
Post removed:
by user
Greendale 87
AG
I've definitely noticed the population increase in Clear Lake area the last two years - likely related to a couple mild winters, but that is simply a guess. No idea on a control strategy. Maybe a yard cat? Our house cat quickly goes ninja on the few stray lizards that make it into the house.
Post removed:
by user
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It's true. I had an abundant population of greens up until about 4 years ago. Now only browns, and they seem more prolific.
htxag09
AG
The year seems to be crazy. I'm in houston and don't think I can walk outside without seeing several.

Was at my parents in Corpus Christi a couple weeks ago, same story there.
Josepi
AG
Get an outdoor cat and your lizard population will severely decline.
water turkey
What is the problem with having lizards?
AggieOO
water turkey said:

What is the problem with having lizards?

This. They eat bugs, so I like having them around. Maybe I'm missing something.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
They get in the house and are everywhere I step outside. Had to put a screen on the dishwasher roof vent because I was getting them in the dishwasher drain catch.

I'm talking mostly about the invasive brown anoles that have multiplied tremendously the last couple years.

I've sprayed the backyard (where the biggest population is) with Cutter again in hopes of maybe cutting down on the food supply. Do that once or twice a year.

We have a stray/neighbor cat that I see hunting sometimes, but that's not nearly enough for this population explosion.
Post removed:
by user
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Interesting quick read here: http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/anolis-sagrei

They first showed up here in 87. But had been in Florida longer. Native to Cuba.

They're pretty aggressive about taking territory over from the green lizards, so I guess we're effectively seeing the results of a gang war.

* https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/texas-residents-encouraged-to-fill-out-texas-invasive-brown-anole-survey/
This article says they've only been here since 2015, and they mostly travel through the sale of tropical plants and soil.
Post removed:
by user
IronRed13
AG
My neighborhood in memorial is overrun with Browns. Still see an occasional green. A pair of what I think are Peregrine Falcons have taken up in a neighbors tree and I've seen them pick off several of the fatter mini-dinosaurs sunbathing
ABATTBQ11
AG
Caesar4 said:

"I ****ing dare you"
dubi
AG
Well crap. The bad word filter is messing up the hyperlink.

Nestbox link
Builder93
AG
Harry Lime said:

Interesting quick read here: http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/anolis-sagrei

They first showed up here in 87. But had been in Florida longer. Native to Cuba.

They're pretty aggressive about taking territory over from the green lizards, so I guess we're effectively seeing the results of a gang war.

* https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/texas-residents-encouraged-to-fill-out-texas-invasive-brown-anole-survey/
This article says they've only been here since 2015, and they mostly travel through the sale of tropical plants and soil.
It's a slow and methodic plan started by Fidel to take over America.
lexofer
AG
My only problem with them is when they get smashed in the door frame and I have to scrape off a dead, half rotten lizard.
MAS444
AG
Haven't seen a green one in a long time now.
dodger02
AG
third coast.. said:

These brown ones seem hyper aggressive and really just seem to be little *****s
Funny. I've never seen a brown one until earlier today. He keeps jumping from a bench on our front porch into my office window. Seems like something from Jurassic Park.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
dubi said:

Well crap. The bad word filter is messing up the hyperlink.

Nestbox link

I just used the partial clues to search and found your link. Thanks. Looks like other bird houses I've built, difference being the 3" hole and wood shavings at the bottom to start the nest.

May give it a try. We've had owls in my neighborhood before, even been spooked a time or two at night by the hunters.
strohag
AG
I can send my Weimaraner over. She's becoming a pro at killing them.
JSKolache
AG
Get sneks
bco2003
AG
Lots of green ones at my house in Frisco. Occasionally see a brown one.

Until this thread, I always thought they were geckos.
Caliber
AG
bco2003 said:

Lots of green ones at my house in Frisco. Occasionally see a brown one.

Until this thread, I always thought they were geckos.

The green anoles turn colors from green to brown

In Houston we now have the native green anoles (a) plus the invasive brown anoles (b), 2 different species.

?fit=1660%2C1652&ssl=1
Post removed:
by user
clobby
AG
I have been seeing green anoles in Dallas more often the past 2 years.
CapCity12thMan
AG
my grandfather used to use some sort of jalapeno/garlic spray combo in his yard. The oils apparently reptiles don't like. I took him to a BBQ restaurant one time and he got a to-go box and filled the entire thing up with jalapenos from the side bar. fun times.
Waltonloads08
AG
lizards arent really pests, OP has a lot of bugs for them to eat
2nd Generation Ag
Same at my house in Cypress.. Lizards everywhere. Also much bigger. Especially the brown ones
Whoop Delecto
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

lizards arent really pests, OP has a lot of bugs for them to eat

There's an invasive species that absolutely is a pest.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.