Indoor Leathercraft Workbench

3,002 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Whitetail
rally-cap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at finally building a dedicated workbench for my leather working, its time to move off of my dinning room table and on to a more permanent surface. It will be indoors (as I'm in an apartment) and probably around 5'-6' long, 30" deep, and hopefully built in such a way that I can dissemble it easily to move it in and out of my apartment. I'm about to purchase my first leather sewing machine that I'll mount to or next to this workbench (on a smaller stand on casters more than likely), along with a few other mountable tools. Then plenty of open workspace for a large cutting mat and hand tool storage.

I would love to see some photos of your workbench to get some more ideas for construction, storage, lighting, etc. and any tips and tricks you might have.
javajaws
AG
I doubt you'll find many leather working specific workbenches on here. Aren't there dedicated forums out there for leather working?

FWIW, here's mine (when still new) - yes I built it.

rally-cap
AG
javajaws said:

I doubt you'll find many leather working specific workbenches on here. Aren't there dedicated forums out there for leather working?

It doesn't have to be photos of leather specific workbenches, just curious to see what other people are doing for storage, lighting, construction technique, etc. I can alter the ideas to fit the leather working criteria, which really doesn't differ much from a solid workbench design.

There are dedicated leather forums, I just always like to get TexAgs opinions too.
Whitetail
AG
If you haven't yet, checkout google sketchup. There is even an app (viewer) for the iphone. I just searched "workbench" in the 3D Warehouse and see a bunch of great options that people have already modeled/designed.
rally-cap
AG
Whitetail said:

If you haven't yet, checkout google sketchup. There is even an app (viewer) for the iphone. I just searched "workbench" in the 3D Warehouse and see a bunch of great options that people have already modeled/designed.
I've got sketchup on my work PC (work in Architecture) I'll take a look! Hadn't thought about that as an option. I've been doing google and pinterest searches trying to get a good idea of different options I can try to combine.
Southpaw 07
AG
If you want to build your own, check out the Moravian workbench. They're supposed to be sturdy and have the benefit of being a takedown style.

https://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-workbench-tool-storage/
jtp01
AG
I just built a quick and dirty assembly table that is pretty dang stout. I used a simple 2x4 frame (doubled up on corners) and I used 2 sheets of mdf for the top. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical but it's what I had. I still intend to edge with some hardwood, but needed some easy quick workspace as I am building out my benches. With the performance of the 1-1/2" thick mdf too thus far, this will be the bench top option I go with.
Builder93
AG
javajaws said:

That's pretty nice.. Reminds me of one I built years ago and sold. Yours looks better, though. Is that hard maple?
Tumble Weed
I built my first workbench with random wood laying around the garage. It held up well, but it didn't make the move to my next house, because that house had a huge workbench and shop.

At my current place, I am using a gladiator workbench. Had it for a while and it has held up well.

In your case, I would get adjustable legs so you can set the height.

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/collections/workbenches/products/6-wide-adjustable-height-hardwood-workbench

rally-cap
AG
Tumble Weed said:

I built my first workbench with random wood laying around the garage. It held up well, but it didn't make the move to my next house, because that house had a huge workbench and shop.

At my current place, I am using a gladiator workbench. Had it for a while and it has held up well.

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/collections/workbenches/products/6-wide-adjustable-height-hardwood-workbench

Honestly trying to decide between buying and building. I've looked at the gladiator line, and it would definitely be a simple purchase and install, but I feel like I can get something cheaper than the $350 range if I build it myself. Trying to weigh the pros and cons.
Tumble Weed
rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

Honestly trying to decide between buying and building. I've looked at the gladiator line, and it would definitely be a simple purchase and install, but I feel like I can get something cheaper than the $350 range if I build it myself. Trying to weigh the pros and cons.
I was going to buy some 2x2 angle iron for the legs, and then use 2x4 for the top. I knew that it would take me a while to do the top correctly, and I had other projects to complete. After pricing the iron, I decided just to buy.

It is always cheaper to DIY, but I liked the fit and finish of the Gladiator table.

I think that it would be cool to have a butcher block style top with angle iron legs. Maybe for the next house or the next barndo ....

I tried to explain to my girls what is cool about having a nice shop. They didn't understand, and described it as being dirty/gritty. I told them that was what made it enjoyable.
rally-cap
AG
Tumble Weed said:

rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

I was going to buy some 2x2 angle iron for the legs, and then use 2x4 for the top. I knew that it would take me a while to do the top correctly, and I had other projects to complete. After pricing the iron, I decided just to buy.

It is always cheaper to DIY, but I liked the fit and finish of the Gladiator table.

I think that it would be cool to have a butcher block style top with angle iron legs. Maybe for the next house or the next barndo ....

I tried to explain to my girls what is cool about having a nice shop. They didn't understand, and described it as being dirty/gritty. I told them that was what made it enjoyable.
I love the idea of the metal legs and butcher block top, I plan to mount a few tools to the top, so the butcher block would be solid. Out of curiosity, is the Gladiator table loud? I know that might be an odd question, but in leather work, there is a lot of work requiring punches, rivet setting, etc with hammers that can be pretty loud, and I'd be a little worried that the metal legs might reverberate that sound a little more than a wood legged bench.

My current design that I've been working on is mostly 2x4s with a 3/8 ply with 1/8 hardboard top.
Tumble Weed
rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

I love the idea of the metal legs and butcher block top, I plan to mount a few tools to the top, so the butcher block would be solid. Out of curiosity, is the Gladiator table loud? I know that might be an odd question, but in leather work, there is a lot of work requiring punches, rivet setting, etc with hammers that can be pretty loud, and I'd be a little worried that the metal legs might reverberate that sound a little more than a wood legged bench.

My current design that I've been working on is mostly 2x4s with a 3/8 ply with 1/8 hardboard top.

I like the plans that you posted. With the stringers, it would stand up to some abuse. That would be much more quiet than my table. The gladiator table would be much louder because of the composition of the top itself, and the legs. This reminds me of the GEICO commercial where the neighbors have a clogging problem.

Since you are in an apartment, are you going to use carriage bolts for the legs so that you can disassemble it?
rally-cap
AG
Tumble Weed said:

rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

rally-cap said:

Tumble Weed said:

I like the plans that you posted. With the stringers, it would stand up to some abuse. That would be much more quiet than my table. The gladiator table would be much louder because of the composition of the top itself, and the legs. This reminds me of the GEICO commercial where the neighbors have a clogging problem.

Since you are in an apartment, are you going to use carriage bolts for the legs so that you can disassemble it?

Thank you for your input!

Yes, that is the plan. I've got it designed to come apart in 5 pieces, and be held together with carriage bolts. If it all goes according to plan, it will work something like this -

So, in theory, I'll be able to assemble the frame with the two side leg assemblies and the back leg assembly, then add the low shelf, and then add the top as one whole piece. The 5 assemblies (2 side legs, one back leg, low shelf, and top) will be assembled with screws, then the 5 pieces will be attached together with the bolts.

In my first picture, its a little hard to tell, but the yellow lines are screws, and the blue lines are bolts.
rally-cap
AG
Got it put together today. Now to get all the tools moved over and organized.
lkx398
AG
Wish I had noticed this sooner. My dad has a leather sewing machine he'd like to get rid of.
rally-cap
AG
lkx398 said:

Wish I had noticed this sooner. My dad has a leather sewing machine he'd like to get rid of.

I wish you had as well! What kind of machine is it?
lkx398
AG
rally-cap said:

lkx398 said:

It's a Ferdco unit installed on a bench/table. Any interest?
Whitetail
AG
Can we see some of your leather working?
rally-cap
AG
lkx398 said:

rally-cap said:

lkx398 said:

It's a Ferdco unit installed on a bench/table. Any interest?
If you had gotten to me before I purchased this new one, I would definitely have been interested. I can't justify dropping another few thousand on another machine right now unfortunately.
rally-cap
AG
Whitetail said:

Can we see some of your leather working?
Absolutely!

You can see more here - https://instagr.am/p/CAjBs_oB0Li

Or on Facebook, search Stafford Leather Co.
Whitetail
AG
Very nice. Thank you!
ABATTBQ11
AG
rally-cap said:

Whitetail said:

I've got sketchup on my work PC (work in Architecture) I'll take a look! Hadn't thought about that as an option. I've been doing google and pinterest searches trying to get a good idea of different options I can try to combine.

I've started putting a lot of my ideas to paper using sketchup and AutoCAD. Once you do it, you'll never go back.
rally-cap
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

rally-cap said:

Whitetail said:

I've started putting a lot of my ideas to paper using sketchup and AutoCAD. Once you do it, you'll never go back.
I'm the same. I can have ideas floating around in my head for weeks, but I have to get them drawn out in CAD or on paper for them to start making sense. I'm a very visual person when it comes to things like that, it helps me a lot to see it outside of my head. I find myself doing that a lot with leather projects - I'll have an idea in my head about how it might go together, but I have to try it out with paper patterns before I can really wrap my head fully around it.
Tumble Weed
You obviously have an eye for detail. Not surprised that the bench turned out great.
rally-cap
AG
Tumble Weed said:

You obviously have an eye for detail. Not surprised that the bench turned out great.

Thank you! Here is another photo with some task lighting installed and a project in process -

I also added a scrap piece of 1/2 round trim on the front edge to keep my arms and elbows from taking too much abuse from the exposed ply and hardboard top edges.
ABATTBQ11
AG
rally-cap said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

rally-cap said:

Whitetail said:

I'm the same. I can have ideas floating around in my head for weeks, but I have to get them drawn out in CAD or on paper for them to start making sense. I'm a very visual person when it comes to things like that, it helps me a lot to see it outside of my head. I find myself doing that a lot with leather projects - I'll have an idea in my head about how it might go together, but I have to try it out with paper patterns before I can really wrap my head fully around it.

All of this. Also, your leatherwork is beautiful. I'm going to have to check out more.

BTW, do you have an online store? Saw the Facebook page, but no pricing or anything. Was just curious how much you charge and thinking of maybe getting a Christmas present or two.
rally-cap
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

rally-cap said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

rally-cap said:

Whitetail said:

All of this. Also, your leatherwork is beautiful. I'm going to have to check out more.

BTW, do you have an online store? Saw the Facebook page, but no pricing or anything. Was just curious how much you charge and thinking of maybe getting a Christmas present or two.

What sort of items are you looking for a price for? I don't do this to make money, it's just a hobby that I get to share with other people, so my prices are pretty reasonable I like to think. I've had people give me more money than I charge them because they don't think I'm charging them enough. My prices basically just cover materials, my time, and all of my profits go right back into the hobby, that's where the funds for the new sewing machine came from!

I don't currently have an online store, I haven't taken the time to get things officially set up with the state to do sales tax and all of that fun stuff. If you have any questions for pricing, shoot me a message on Facebook or Instagram. I have a pricing sheet as well that I can send you. I have a catalog of things I have made before, and have prices for them. But I take custom orders as well and can give you a price estimate.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't have anything particular in mind. If you could send me a catalogue and pricing sheet that'd be great.

Also, have you ever done book covers? My MIL is going back to school. She just graduated with her bachelor's and is starting her master's in divinity. Your work got me thinking about getting a leather bible cover for when she graduates, but that'll still be awhile.
rally-cap
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I don't have anything particular in mind. If you could send me a catalogue and pricing sheet that'd be great.

Also, have you ever done book covers? My MIL is going back to school. She just graduated with her bachelor's and is starting her master's in divinity. Your work got me thinking about getting a leather bible cover for when she graduates, but that'll still be awhile.

Yes, I can send you one! I have done several book covers, one for my bible even. However, with book covers, I can really only do them if I have the book here with me to fit the cover to. Book covers are just a tricky thing to size correctly.

ABATTBQ11
AG
I kind of figured. When it comes time, I could try to get by hands on it. Forgot to mention, my (alternate) email is username at gmail. I don't check it all the time, but I'll make sure to check out over the next few days. Thanks!
rally-cap
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I kind of figured. When it comes time, I could try to get by hands on it. Forgot to mention, my (alternate) email is username at gmail. I don't check it all the time, but I'll make sure to check out over the next few days. Thanks!
Sorry, I've been disconnected the last few days with some day's off from work. I just emailed you a general pricing list.
ABATTBQ11
AG
No worries. Happens to me all the time.
Whitetail
AG
Rally-cap and Agrams need to hook up and create some cool stuff. Always loved woodworking and leather.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.