Is polishing stained concrete floors a DIY project?

1,019 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by who?mikejones
suprafly03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So since I am forced into this home quarantine I have been doing a ton of home improvements that I've been wanting to get done for years.

When I get finished up with all of this painting, I'd like to touch up our stained concrete.

There is nothing too bad, it's just years of kids moving furniture, riding scooters/bikes etc...

Is this something I can do? Just run up to Home Depot and rent a floor polisher, buy some different grit discs and go to town?

Or is this better left to the professionals?

If I can DIY, any recommendations on machine rentals and/or disc brands to buy?
TMoney2007
AG
suprafly03 said:

So since I am forced into this home quarantine I have been doing a ton of home improvements that I've been wanting to get done for years.

When I get finished up with all of this painting, I'd like to touch up our stained concrete.

There is nothing too bad, it's just years of kids moving furniture, riding scooters/bikes etc...

Is this something I can do? Just run up to Home Depot and rent a floor polisher, buy some different grit discs and go to town?

Or is this better left to the professionals?

If I can DIY, any recommendations on machine rentals and/or disc brands to buy?
I have no idea,... can you post some pictures? I'm thinking of doing polished concrete in the living areas of my house when I renovate.
jtp01
AG
You will not get the same results you see elsewhere with the rented floor polisher. I am all for diy stain and seal. When you want to start polishing, that is the time to hire the pros.
I spent over a decade in the concrete business and have seen first hand the difference. The machines to properly polish concrete ran in excess of 30k at the time and it was very time consuming and required 220 power in the room or a generator that could produce it close.
Personally, I'd leave the polishing to the pros.
who?mikejones
AG
I too would leave it to professionals.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.