Home air purifier? (will cross post to nerdery too)

1,833 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Absolute
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have one or know of good ones?

Just thinking about better indoor air quality and reducing dust and allergens.
I've done a little looking and before I get my wife to do some deep digging (she's good at that), I wanted to get some ideas on makes and models to direct her toward.

Setting:
~1200 Sq. Ft. apartment; 2 bed; 2 bath; somewhat open floor plan on 36th floor (in Chicago).
Building exhaust/vent fans have registers/intakes in master bath, hall bath, and kitchen; CFM is low.
HVAC (3 units) is water (heating/cooling/neutral) with air intake (return) in apartment with no fresh/outside makeup. (think TAMU corps style dorm ACs but only single piped so heat or cool depends on what the building is sending/making that day.)

Thinking is, like today when it's nice outside and we have windows open, have something to cut down on pollutants etc.
Would prefer something quiet.

I know these aren't a cure-all but anything that will help with my wife's asthma, odors, and cut down on dusting would be nice.
SlackerAg
AG
I have 2 of these. Quiet, has a remote & washable filter.

Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8DAYII?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It can detect odors and turn on. No joke: if someone farts, the LED light changes from blue to red & turns on. It's pretty hilarious.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I suffer from pretty bad allergies and we have a newborn in the house. I used to use the <$150 variety units found at Lowe's or on Amazon without experiencing any appreciable difference. After studying up on it, I now run 2 Oransi EJs as well as a Medify MA-112.

From my research, what primarily determines the quality of an air purifier is (1) air tightness of the machine; (2) air volume/CADR capability; and (3) the quality of the media the machine supports. The latter breaks down into (1) MERV/EN-1822 rating; (2) square feet of surface area. The recommended minimum air changes per hour in most a residential settings is 6x.

The average purifier is poorly sealed, has little surface area, and cannot come anywhere close to 6x ACH for even a small room (and if it does, it's loud as a hairdryer). Those <$150 units aren't well sealed (bypass) and take an hour or more to filter the air in an average room.

https://www.oransi.com/p/oransi-ej-air-purifier?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18DcofjW6AIViI7ICh1RhQY3EAQYASABEgLpbPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFJMS2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PumJEb26PCF2D
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
These are about the most popular on the HVAC business side.

IMO about one of the most beneficial products an HVAC guy can install

- Semi tough to get right now due to the Corona Virus wiping out inventory across country in a matter of days.

AgCPA95
AG
What do you think of the Aerus Air Scrubber?

Air Scrubber
Scruffy
AG
I appreciate the info.

Unfortunately, I can't install anything in the HVAC system (both I'm a renter and there isn't any room in the "chase"; it's a poor design).
I should clarify I'm looking for a stand alone unit.

Thanks for the insight though and I'll keep it in mind for our future home (way down the line at this point).
Texker
AG
We've used Air Oasis portable purifiers for years. They aren't cheap but they work and are quiet! We always take one with us when we travel.

https://www.airoasis.com/

Based in Amarillo and Made in the USA!
Absolute
AG
The winix ones work well. Have 2.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.