Poa Annua in new Bermuda yard

1,468 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1997aggies
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have suggestions on the best way to treat poa annua?

I know the Berm will eventually choke it out, but I'd like to help it along as much as I can since it is a new yard.

Thanks.
Gary79Ag
AG
Following the information in the following link...pre-emergent and post-emergent applications

Poa Annua Treatment Guide - How to Kill Poa Annua
southtexasgolfpro00
AG
Spray Kerb and it will smoke out that poa.
1997aggies
AG
Poa Annua is a cold season weed. Once the temps get consistently warm/hot it will eventually die off. If you want to kill it before then you need to use a liquid treatment called Image. However, I would suggest not using Image at this point in the game because it is the growing season and all you want to do in the spring is apply positive things to your yard such as fertilizer, water, and soil enhancements. The best way to beat Poa Annua going forward is to use Pre Emergent. Pre emergent does NOT kill weeds, it simply prevents weed seeds from germinating. The best pre emergent for this is a liquid application called Dimension 2EW. It's a tad expensive, but a tiny bit goes a long way! I use this product March 1, June 1, September 1, and December 1 every year and I have like zero weeds, ever. Your basic yard needs 3 main ingredients including water, fertilizer, and pre emergent. If I had to choose only 1 of these 3 ingredients to apply to my Bermuda lawn it would be pre emergent hands down. Pre emergent is God's gift to Bermuda grass. Conquering weeds is about staying ahead of them and not waiting til they arrive. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!
flown-the-coop
AG
So this thread is not about the island of Poo'tana I saw on Cinemax last night?

I will leave now, but felt an obligation to ask (for a friend).
1997aggies
AG
I'm assuming by new yard you mean it's newly laid Bermuda sod? If so, only add water to it 2 times a day and then after 2 weeks, water once a day for another week or so. DO NOT apply any weed killer or fertilizer to your new grass for like 6-8 weeks. The root system needs to be firmly established before applying anything to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.