Covering a pergola advice

3,784 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Reload8098
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags I really need help with this one. We want to do this project ourselves and have some decent help from pretty knowledgeable neighbors. My wife tried to provide a lot of information in the pictures below and holds a google construction degree (so there's that, LOL). Thanks in advance.

keo1
AG
We used a translucent R-Panel from Mueller. It is what they use for skylights in metal buildings.
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
Reload8098
AG
Forgot to add that we live in Knoxville, TN.
Gary79Ag
AG
Quote:

My wife tried to provide a lot of information in the pictures below and holds a google construction degree (so there's that, LOL).
Now you or your wife needs a TexAgs picture posting degree, cause I can't see chit, and y'all should be set...
TMoney2007
AG
keo1 said:

We used a translucent R-Panel from Mueller. It is what they use for skylights in metal buildings.
I like the look of the multiwall polycarbonate panels better for things that are closer to the ground. They're more expensive though.
AggieSam02
AG
We used the twin wall polygal for many years but they just came out with triple wall topgal (made by polygal) that's a standing seam style. Way better!!!! Much less expansion and contraction thus less leaks.
CyanideJenkins
AG
AggieSam02 said:

We used the twin wall polygal for many years but they just came out with triple wall topgal (made by polygal) that's a standing seam style. Way better!!!! Much less expansion and contraction thus less leaks.

I currently have the twin wall polygal and it needs replacing. Where did you get the Topgal?
AggieSam02
AG
We offer turnkey installations if you need someone. It's not quite as simple as the polygal install although it's not overly complicated.

www.creekstoneoutdoors.com

Here's where we purchase. Be sure and let them know we referred you.
https://www.regal-plastics.com/topgal/
Reload8098
AG
Not sure what happened. The pics were there. Loaded them back up. Thanks
Gary79Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

Not sure what happened. The pics were there. Loaded them back up. Thanks
Still not there other than a circle with a dash in it...
Reload8098
AG
I don't know what the fck I'm doing wrong. I linked the photos from google pics.
Long Live Sully
AG
Then people have to log in with Google to see them
Reload8098
AG
Pics now back up. Any advice?
Gary79Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

Pics now back up. Any advice?
Upload to something like Imgur and then post from there...
F1uxCapacitor
AG
We used foamed polycarbonate corrugated roof panels from Home Depot to cover our pergola (12' x 16' roof area). I just followed the manufacturer's installation guide and YouTube videos, used the recommended screws, and filler strips, and was able to do it by myself in about 6 hours over a weekend.
Aggietaco
AG
I think all of the clear/translucent options are not attractive, so I would go with a standing seam metal product over a sealed sheathing, personally.

Still can't see your images, so maybe you have some other design aesthetic in mind.
Reload8098
AG
Can you see them now? I could see them before and I used google photo but also signed up for Shutterfly and reposted them.
Gary79Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

Can you see them now? I could see them before and I used google photo but also signed up for Shutterfly and reposted them.
Yes, they show up now!!!
Reload8098
AG
Miracle! How about some advice!?
Gary79Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

Man, I'd love to help you out here and I like y'alls ideas, but I'll have to defer to the experts on this situation! Sorry...hoping Absolute or someone else chimes in...
agnerd
AG
Breaking suggestions up by numbers in case people want to offer different advice
1. your structure is adequate to support the weight of a metal roof as long as you don't live up north and expect to get snow piled up on it.
2. However, the weak points is that the beams are bolted to the posts and not sitting on it. Notching the post so that one of the beams is sitting on the post will add a lot of strength. The rafters will be sitting on the beams perpendicular to the house. Those are the ones that need to be sitting in notches The beams parallel to the house won't be carrying much weight at all. Leave them bolted. It would be more ideal if your pergolas was rotated 90 degrees, but not a big problem.

3. Also, the roof will catch a lot more wind than just an open pergola or with cloth that isn't rigid. Add braces to the posts like this to keep it from shifting in the wind.

4. No new central post is required. Ridge beam gets located as drawn with the short 10" posts, and then the rafters but up to it. If you build it right, the short 10" posts won't actually be carrying any load, and it will all get transferred out to the beams perpendicular to the house. Your 8x12 beam will only be there to keep the roof from pushing the posts apart and to help temporarily locate the ridge beam. No weight will be on it once the rafters are in place.

5. For your cantilever span, it is recommended to be 1/4 of the beam span or less. Use this to size your rafters so that it will be safe to walk on the roof. Table is for decks, so you can probably go smaller on the size if you want. Going a little longer on the cantilever is probably ok too since there will probably never be more than 2 people on it at a time. You can also brace it back to the post, but that won't look very good.

6. Will the rafter hit the house? Don't know. buy a 8-foot 2x6, set it up there and see if it clears. Then move it until it does.
7. Don't forget that for a low profile roof, the rafters are working very hard to collapse down and push the "walls" out. nailing them to the ridge board is probably fine up top, but they will need to be secured with some kind of bracket to the existing pergola beam to keep them from slipping out. Something like this would be ideal if you want the cathedral cieling look:

or you can add a 2x4 between the rafter bottoms to solve the issue like this (labeled as ceiling joist):

8. Construction tip: The rafters will be unstable until the roof is on. You don't want them to domino down. So make sure you don't stand or climb on them until the roof is attached and adding strength. First roof panel should be attached with you standing on a ladder, then you can work out from there.
chick79
AG
Username checks out.
Gary79Ag
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Reload8098 said:

Man, I'd love to help you out here and I like y'alls ideas, but I'll have to defer to the experts on this situation! Sorry...hoping Absolute or someone else chimes in...
And that's the type of expert advice I was referring to...way to go agnerd!!! Two thumbs up!!!
Reload8098
AG
Man Agnerd I can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide so much detail. I owe you several beverages of your choice brother.

FYI - we deal with little wind due to heavy foliage surrounding the back yard on all three sides with the house being the fourth side. We do receive a butt load of rain. It's like living in a damn tropical forest. Very little snow in Knoxville.

Thanks again!

Mark
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.