Will drainage be an issue - planters/pots

1,391 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I correct that filling a larger planter with clay at the base will be fine before putting potting soil on top to plant flowers or shrubs? My only concern is that if it rains the planter will not drain fast enough and will become a birdbath.

Background:
I dug a hole in my flower bed and have a large amount of what I believe is wet clay left over. I have about 6 cubic feet of clay that was loaded into plastic containers on my patio to keep it off the lawn/patio while digging. My guess is it is about 1000lbs total?

The planters are glazed so they don't breathe. They have a hole in the bottom for drainage.

My plan is to run a tube from the flowerbed drip line up the hole at the base of the pot through a PVC pipe until the tube ends near where we'll plan flowers or whatnot. I want to run through a PVC pipe so its easier to replace the tube if something were to happen to it later.

Home is in Frisco and I'm pretty sure the lot was excavated then refilled.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
I wouldn't use clay - it'll plug the hole at the bottom completely. Why do you want to use clay, because you have an excess of it?

The water won't drain, the soil along the top of the planter will dry, you'll add water and you'll eventually overwater and kill the plants. Been there, done that.

Edit: wrong emoji
FatZilla
AG
I would use sand and some cheap plastic window screen material glued over the drain hole. Its always worked for me.
txag2008
AG
I know you didn't ask about this, but if you have some old containers (milk jugs, orange juice, etc) throw them in at the bottom. If it's a large planter you'll be able to cut down on filled weight.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll just haul the remaining loads of clay down the street.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Closing this loop. Thanks again for the feedback on the clay. We were able to get it across the street to a home that's being built. Moving that was my own personal vietnam It's just straight up dead weight.

We filled the bases w/empty plastic bottles then applied potting soil and plants. We've had it setup a few weeks now (moved the clay soon after the OP) and its working great.

Thanks to whomever for that suggestion, it was a great way to fill the space.
Take the trash out staff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.