Setting Fence Posts Within a Slab

1,612 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jamesf
jamesf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am replacing a fence next to my house. Since my patio wrapped around the old fence posts, I had to cut the concrete around the posts to remove them. When I am setting the new fence posts, is there anything special I should do for the concrete that meets with the existing slab?

TexAg1987
Is there anything between the walk and slab now? If so, match it.
jamesf
AG
The post holes are pretty much the same size as the hole in the slab. My plan is to set the posts in concrete, then finish the top to make it flush with the existing slab. My question is if I need to do anything like put some expansion joint material or something where the existing concrete meets the new concrete.
TexAg1987
Is there anything between the existing patio and house slab or was it poured right against it?

If nothing, then a sheet of felt paper wouldn't hurt. If there is expansion joint material in the other areas, you should match that.
I don't think you need anything between the new concrete and the patio unless you want to be able to chip it out easier next time.
AgCWby90CS
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Is there anything between the existing patio and house slab or was it poured right against it?

If nothing, then a sheet of felt paper wouldn't hurt. If there is expansion joint material in the other areas, you should match that.
I don't think you need anything between the new concrete and the patio unless you want to be able to chip it out easier next time.
Right, shouldn't need anything between the new concrete at post and the patio/sidewalk concrete. It's will be a cold joint and if one or the other moves, that cold joint will be the point of separation.
CWby '90
Builder93
AG
Looks like somebody hit some conduit

BTW, If it were my house I would want to try to put a little rebar into the exiting sidewalk concrete to keep the new concrete in place. There is a good chance it could heave now that you have a place for water to creep in between the old and new concrete.
jamesf
AG
Builder93 said:

Looks like somebody hit some conduit

It didn't stand a chance against the demo hammer. I knew there was conduit between the house and garage, but it didn't dawn on me that it would be running through the post foundation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.