Pool Decking

4,348 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Southlake Ag
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are getting very close to pulling the trigger on a pool build. But we can really narrow down our choice for decking.

We are leaning towards a Colored Salt Finish, but the negatives we have heard here is the indentations being dirt traps that will need to be constantly cleaned out.

We have quite a bit of decking that will have to be done because our existing patio will have to be redone, so we are trying to this on with budget in mind as well as avoiding cool deck.

What are your opinions?

rlb28
AG
Just don't do pea gravel. We have an old pool and ours is coming up all over the place. Would cost a small fortune to have it ripped up and a new deck installed.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Why avoid cool deck?
redag06
Not really a fan of the look of cool deck. I have also seen the color application not last very long, but I'm sure that was the fault of the crew installing it.
tweekac
AG
I know you mention not being a fan of cool decking, but it might avoid having to redo the existing decking, as you should be able to overlay the cool decking on the old concrete. Here are a few photos where they added in score lines (even on the existing decking) and additional color mix to give a look of aggregate mixed in.
https://ibb.co/BgDHR4P

https://ibb.co/hf175S7

We've only had it for about 4 months, so I can't comment as to the color lasting.
rlb28
AG
delete before your insurance agent sees the slide.
redag06
The current decking has a cool deck over lay, but it all has to be removed because 1) Severely cracked 2) Poor Drainage, and we better slope and need to install drainage.
BoDog
AG
we have travertine pavers. Expensive as hell but we love them.
rlb28
AG
BoDog said:

they had those at our resort in Playa and they were incredible. we walked barefooted and they weren't hot and they look great.
Aggiehunter34
S
We went with the salt finish and love it. I don't have an issue with stuff getting stuck in the concrete holes...I typically blow off the deck weekly.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Pic?
Aggiehunter34
S
I am not sure how to post a pic. I will try to figure it out this evening. If you want, inbox me your number and I can send one this evening.
wcb
AG
Our decking is going in next week. Went with the stamped concrete vs the salt. I can post pics once it's done.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Travertine pavers mixed with turf looks amazing
Whens lunch
AG
BoDog said:

Does travertine get slippery when wet? We're considering that also.
Not when I'm done with it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We did the salt finished concrete pads as well. We'll have synthetic turf applied in the near future b/w the pads and b/w the house and the pool.

Pic here:https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3094663/replies/56050026

I can't comment on the heat yet, we only moved in last fall.
Bassmaster
AG
Yes, but damn if it doesn't look great.
aggiepaintrain
AG
OP- coloring concrete can be an issue with multiple pours. You may end up with a large section of one color and another section a shade lighter or darker where they had to use another truck. This happened to me, although 4 years later it's not that noticeable, it pissed me off at the time.

I did the rock salt finish as well, it does hold dirt. We need to have it pressure washed but haven't yet.

Plan is to maybe cool deck it later or stamped overlay.

I would go with stamped concrete or an overlay if I did it all over.

Southlake Ag
AG
I personally wouldn't use the salted finished concrete. We have some on the outside of our bank. It's a slip n slide when it rains.

Not sure if there is an ideal pool deck surface. Cool deck eventually has to repaired or replaced, I'm told stamped concrete is more durable, but is hotter than cool deck. Travertine looks great and is supposedly cooler than all of the other surfaces, but it supposedly is slippery when wet.

Anyone have a magic bullet? We are in DFW and are looking to build new pool and trying to find best pool deck surface. We currently have Arizona flagstone (red) and it looks great, but it gets hot. Some people have suggested Oklahoma flagstone (tannish color) as its cooler than Arizona flagstone. Don't know how it compares to the other surfaces with respect to heat.
BoDog
AG
Travertine isn't too slippery. If that is the biggest concern just go with a belgaurd concrete paver. Not the prettiest but it will alleviate your slip concern.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Salt rock finish is not slippery unless you put a seal on it. Which is not recommended.

Southlake Ag
AG
Must have put sealer on it at my office.
wcb
AG
Stamped concrete decking went in this morning. Personally I love the way it looks.

cadetjay02
AG
We have pavers. They're not travertine, either Pavestone or belgarde. They look good, not slippery, and not overly hot.
Southlake Ag
AG
wcb said:

Stamped concrete decking went in this morning. Personally I love the way it looks.

Do you have to seal it? What do they say is the life expectancy of the stamped concrete?
Texker
AG
BoDog said:

We have travertine as well. Fortunately, the prior homeowners installed it so we essentially got it at a discount.
wcb
AG
Southlake Ag said:

Do you have to seal it? What do they say is the life expectancy of the stamped concrete?
Zero maintenance. I've considered staining or sealing but I'm told it can make it slick so I'm going to go with it as is for now and see how I like it. I'll report back later in the summer on how slick it is, how hot it gets, etc.

Life expectancy? It's concrete. I would expect it to last as long as my driveway / sidewalk / etc.
wcb
AG
redag06 said:

We are getting very close to pulling the trigger on a pool build.
Our plaster goes in this week and we should be done. If you have not started, one thing I would ask about - filling it. I think typically you just use your water hose. We have several neighbors that have a fill pipe built into the deck. The cover looks like a skimmer - they just pop the top and turn a valve and in goes the water. Pretty nifty. Being in the home stretch of our build, that's the only thing so far that we wish we would have considered. Our pool is off to the side of the house so it's a long run for a water hose throughout the summer. Not a deal breaker but really would have been nice to have it built in.

Even having a hose bib close to the pool would have been nice. I guess I could get my sprinkler guy to drop one in when he does the sprinkler clean up.
mAgnoliAg
AG
All pool builders are still installing illegal fills, so at least know you're following the law. Pool builders are putting in $100,000 pools with illegal pool fills every day
Garrelli 5000
AG
We had an auto fill when we built ours. They used a dual head spigot from the house. Each head has a tiny open/close valve. They ran pipe from one head to a valve that looks like a standard spigot cover. Inside is a plumbing ball-cock floating valve.

planoaggie123
AG
Are all fill systems illegal or just certain types?
BoDog
AG
Not to thread hijack but what is everyone's thoughts on eliminating most of the decking around a pool and bringing synthetic grass up to the coping? I think it is a cool/clean look.
mAgnoliAg
AG
BoDog said:

Not to thread hijack but what is everyone's thoughts on eliminating most of the decking around a pool and bringing synthetic grass up to the coping? I think it is a cool/clean look.

I like the travertine/turf mix the best of anything.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I know anything tapped into irrigation main is illegal. They made having an extra valve and zone on the irrigation system illegal so now the pool guys design a float switch in the skimmer with check valve and such still tapped into irrigation main. I think it's illegal but not 100% sure. They're all doing it so maybe it's ok
RGRAg1/75
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

BoDog said:

I like the travertine/turf mix the best of anything.

We're still in design phase. Would like to see some pics of this.

Our yard slopes down toward the back of our lot, maybe 18-20" over 40 foot span so I'd want to be sure erosion won't be an issue.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.