Reduce a/c noise in house

2,028 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Olag00
DantheAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My air conditioners are installed right outside my master bedroom wall. Is there anything I can put on the brick or easily put up between a/c's and the brick to reduce the noise?
kingj3
AG
Could always double up your drywall on that wall
txag2008
AG
They make noise blankets you can wrap around the compressors.
DantheAggie
AG
With those noise blankets, won't that hurt the compressors? Doesn't it restrict airflow? Seems like the descriptions for them are to use in winter to keep debris out of coils?
TexAg1987
DantheAggie said:

With those noise blankets, won't that hurt the compressors? Doesn't it restrict airflow? Seems like the descriptions for them are to use in winter to keep debris out of coils?

Noise blanket goes on the inside just over the compressor itself. Not the entire outside unit.
AgAcGuy12
AG
First off I'm sorry they put the units there, second off good luck. The harmonic of the compressor is likely being transmitted into the wall via the refrigerant lines and that's what you're hearing. Compressor blankets do make the compressor quieter when standing next to the unit but it won't do anything for the harmonic. Best thing you can do it make darn sure the copper lines aren't touching any of the brick or mortar. If they are you'll need to carefully chip out the mortar or brick and put some kind of foam material or thin rubber to keep the two materials away from each other. I've seen many times where the copper touching the brick will sound like a car running inside the room it's so loud. The other trick I've seen is to fasten a solid metal bar to the copper line using some hose clamps to try and dampen the harmonic. Your best bet is to make sure the copper isn't touching anything and see what that does.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
DantheAggie said:

My air conditioners are installed right outside my master bedroom wall. Is there anything I can put on the brick or easily put up between a/c's and the brick to reduce the noise?

- with about half a days worth of work, a crew could just move them to another side of the house ( depending on how new they are).

JP76
DantheAggie said:

What brand are your units ?
Sazerac
AG
Mine are by the living room and last summer I noticed that it got much louder. Turns out it was becoming unbalanced and that vibration was intensifying the sound through the walls. I ended up using some foam pads between the unit and the slab - like packs of sugar under a table leg - to balance the vibration.

My next step was going to be the compressor sleeve, which are perfectly safe if your system is designed to use. My parents included it on install.
lawless89
I've got this same problem, but with my interior unit. It's in a closet in the middle of the house and it's SO loud when it comes on. I don't think there's anything I can do about this one?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- depending on how old it is, when it's time to replace the system they can usually be moved to the attic.

Move the noisy system to the attic and gain one closet.

Homeowners seem to really appreciate it when the original system is by the kitchen and our installers can gain them a pantry.
EMY92
AG
What's the loud part? Is it the unit, or the airflow?

If it's the airflow, you can do a lot to help with a larger return. You'd be shocked at how many AC companies have no clue on duct/return sizing. Same goes for sizing of the refrigerant lines.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Everyone is now learning about flow induced vibration! Something I get to help design against, but for larger compressors. Like 10+ MW.

The gas traveling near supersonic speeds cause it. Insulation is about all that can prevent it.

Can also ensure lines aren't touching solid materials. Sound dampening insulation is like gym mat material to a degree.

~egon
lawless89
The unit is what's actually the loud part. I've thought about it moving to the attic, but I'd imagine that would be pretty expensive?
txag2008
AG
Don't know a price, but it can't be real cheap. There's a lot of things involved that have to be moved: refrig lines, electrical, condensate drain, supply & return ducting.

I'd guess $3-4k
OldArmyBrent
AG
How do you move the compressor/condensing unit to the attic? I can see the air handler being up there, but not the compressor. Seems like that would turn into an attic heater.
txag2008
AG
You definitely wouldn't move the condenser up there. The discussion had steered towards re-locating the air handler.
Olag00
AG
I just had moving the inside unit to the attic priced and it was going to be 6-7k. They said there was a price adder since I had metal ducts and they had to be redone due to them being routed too low since the unit has to be suspended in attic. it wasn't worth that to gain a closet and we just had spray foam insulation installed which was pricey as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.