Lawn Puddling Question

1,931 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pepper Brooks
waltonloads11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a new construction home, so there is a lot of clay-like soil under the grass. When it rains, there are certain parts of the lawn that puddles up. Is there an easy solution for this or do I need to regrade/level the lawn?
agnerd
AG
Aerating it will help. Filling the low spots with sand will too. Those are the easiest options. Try them first before regrading.
waltonloads11
AG
Thanks. I will try that.
Whoop Delecto
AG
waltonloads11
AG
I'm not an expert, but this is what I am going to do. If this doesn't work, I am going to either put more sod where the cavities are or put in some top soil.
ravingfans
AG
Water puddles because it has nowhere to go. Simplest solution is to add dirt and level with a slope toward somewhere productive. Sometimes, such as my yard you need to conduct the water quite a distance, so a French drain is needed. Dig down probably 18", add gravel, landscape fabric, then dirt then sod.

In our case we dug the French drain through rock--was quite the engineering feat
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
ravingfans said:

Water puddles because it has nowhere to go. Simplest solution is to add dirt and level with a slope toward somewhere productive. Sometimes, such as my yard you need to conduct the water quite a distance, so a French drain is needed. Dig down probably 18", add gravel, landscape fabric, then dirt then sod.

In our case we dug the French drain through rock--was quite the engineering feat

Will a French drain work on thick clay soil? My problem is my yard doesn't absorb water. It just sits on top and soaks in very slowly. It's takes 3 days to be able to walk on it after 1/4" of rain.
mAgnoliAg
AG
French Drains are rarely the best option for surface water, but they're everybody's go to for all situations. Inlets/catch basins into solid pipe with grading around all catch basins is better. Although with your situation without seeing it, maybe just regrading is best?
The Kraken
AG
Check your warranty. Typical standard is no standing water in a drainage swale 48 hours after after rain stops, 24 hours areas outside swales. Inquire with the builder, they may take care of it, even if it's just minor touch up.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Pepper Brooks
AG
We had a similar issue on a side yard when we bought on house. The rain was running off the neighbors property and had no where to go because of our slab.

A french drain did the trick and is still getting the job done 5 years later.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.