Quarantine Home Repair/Maintenance Thread

9,229 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CFTXAG10
lawless89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Figured since a lot of us are stuck at home, we probably are getting a lot more things done at the house than normal. What have y'all been working on?

My list:

>New Zoysia Palisade sod installed early March before it got crazy, so lots of watering

>Laid out some new mulch beds in the back yard with the expensive landscape felt and Austin Nicotine rock border

>Ripped out our probably 35 year old metal shed with an angle grinder and put it on the curb (gone in 60 seconds)

>Bought a new shed at Costco and started putting that together today. Went a less expensive route since we just got done totally remodeling our kitchen and master bathroom. And totally got judged by everyone in line at Costco for buying shed instead of groceries.
Dr.Rumack
Pulled down the broken light in the shower to find no electrical box. Put back together. Breaker on no problems.

Decided to back shelf all future projects for a while.
03_Aggie
Project #1 - check

Just need to grind stumps.
lawless89
New sod too?
03_Aggie
Nah. The after picture is from the front half. There were about 20 of them.
JSKolache
AG
Same issue here. Numnuts who lived here before planted 2 oaks directly under overhead lines. Power company chopped top out of one last year. Need to cut em both down
The Fife
Once upon a time I started a thread about a few bedrooms and a bathroom. Gotta finish the bathroom sometime soon, which basically involves making some false built in cabinet doors to hide an IKEA wardrobe that's serving as the hamper. Same thing for a small hall closet, and I need to trim out the hall and bedrooms.
03_Aggie
Fortunately these were just below the lines. You can see the cypress tree in the after picture has been chopped where the lines connect to the line st the street.

Need to get them to take it out but it has a decent sized trunk that I'd hate see go to waste. Just no idea what it'd be good for.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I like this thread. I totally bought up project materials while others were buying toilet paper, just in case I was stuck at home. We aren't being sent home (essential service to the government), but I did manage to get a couple of projects knocked off.

I was planning on:
- Refinishing two table tops (partially complete)
- new shelves in master closet (complete)
- wiring up shed I built recently with lights and a couple plugs.
- Re-caulking shower
- Planting a few new trees
- Building some storage for totes in our playroom
- Building some new end tables
- Touch up paint around house (complete)

Ended up refinishing one of the tables. Not perfect, but I'm really proud of how well it matched. It was a lot of work. I had a couple of seams that needed repair. Final product:

Here's a couple of photos of the shed. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Better use of the space and now I'm not mowing that area. Got alot of stuff out of the garage - Ideally, I'd like to move my large air compressor over and get the noise out of the garage.

Aggietaco
AG
I'm planning to build a similar shed soon to free up some garage space for more stuff I don't need, did you do anything to seal off the high side of the shed to your brick, or are you just accepting the fact that you'll have critters back there?
Dr. Doctor
AG
I might finally paint the guest room.

Bought the paint (with other paint for kids rooms) when I moved in.

3 years ago...

~egon
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I've just made peace with stuff getting back there, though I do use the leaf blower to clean it out from time to time. It's probably 1-2 inches off the wall.

I went back and forth between building a lean-to vs a standalone directly against the wall vs stood off a few inches. I finally landed on stand-alone from a permitting and resale standpoint. Once I had complete the shell and moved it up against the wall, it just felt like it'd be better to not create a cavity that critters might get into anyway (the trim on the corners is slightly wider than the R-panel on the walls).
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Here are the plans I developed if you want them just a few tweaks after I started building (like just one door).

jtp01
AG
My shop is the major covid project for me. I'm currently sheeting the interior walls with plywood to protect the spray foam and to give a more finished look and make it more functional.

Next is building out around 40' of work bench for my 2 boys (9 & 11) to have some space to work alongside me.

Then an assembly/work table. This project will help keep us off of the floor when working on projects and help to define the Work area from the storage area.

Then plumbing in my air compressor lines to have air by both overhead doors and 2 in my work area.
water turkey
Replaced 3 pendent lights

Caulked the baseboards in the entire house. I couldnt stop

Pressure washed the driveway and back sidewalk

Planted some flowers
Sazerac
AG
Drainage boxes and drain lines to fix some issues
Gravel replacing grass to reduce the dog / mud issues.
Cut out some sprinklers. Turned some to drip.
Mulch
Rebuilt a stone column and fixed underlying paver problem.
Caulk stuff
Painted a bedroom. Had a pro wallpaper a wall.
Touch up paint multiple places.
Sealed counters.
Sanded and restained dining table.
Magic erasered everything needed in the house.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...
AggieGunslinger
AG
Fixed some down spouts, touched up some texture/paint from where I had to install new crown molding after building new upper cabinets. Hope to put a new threshold in the back door tomorrow, I really need a new door but it has a transom window and I am not sure I want to tackle that. Will also install a water port and battery charger switch on the golf cart tomorrow and change the oil on the wife's car.

Then back to work on Monday.
TTU_IPLAW
Trying to find my thread. Was hoping with so many people on lockdown someone would give my question a response
ABATTBQ11
AG
I just finished planting a bunch of elfin thyme in my patio. Would have done it last year and even got started a little, but grad school, my wife's schedule (we had opposing days off), and having a 2 now 3 year old around did not leave time to get it done when it needed to be.

The goal is the have it take over everything between the flagstones. The three big patches were planted last year and have done great. They started out the size of some of the smaller transplants from today. This spot basically gets full sun, so the fact they're still alive speaks to their hardiness. We watered them every so often when it got dry, but other than that this stuff is minimal upkeep. Stays low. Tolerates traffic really well. Spreads out alright. Might have to go get another tray.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Also just saw this:

I'd love to find time to make something like that out of wood and aircraft cabling.
Aggietaco
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Here are the plans I developed if you want them just a few tweaks after I started building (like just one door).

Thanks, pretty similar in size to what I had considered. I'm also trying to figure out a way to incorporate it into my side yard fence so that it's accessible from either side (inside the fence in my backyard and outside the fence from my front side yard).
bqce
AG
We moved into a new-to-us house in December, and the wood floors were installed with no gaps by the walls, so I removed all the quarter round and dremeled out about 1/2' from each wall and replaced the quarter round. Really made a difference.

We also had a lot of wall issues with their stuff being removed and showing unpainted areas. My Navy training kicked in and I was able to feather the newer paint in to the old - you can hardly tell it's been patched. My 1st Class Boatswain would be proud.

Added some rose bushes and tomato and jalapeno plants. Finally, rewired all my tubular fluorescent light fixtures to take LED, and removed the ballasts. Greatest invention ever!
aggiedent
AG
Pulled up the carpet in my personal office (I own the business) at work and replaced with vinyl wood plank. Replaced the cheap painted baseboard with stained. Repainted the walls. Replaced the broken door. And.......replaced a ballast in a light fixture. That's how much free time I have.
dodger02
AG
Power wash the porches and sidewalks
Been painting a few rooms, touchup some windowsills
Need to re-caulk some windows
Going to refinish a wooden outdoor rocker later this week
Need to replace a set of blinds
lawless89
Seems like as soon as I complete a task, my wife comes up with three more.
AggieGunslinger
AG
lawless89 said:

Seems like as soon as I complete a task, my wife comes up with three more.

Exactly, My wife's list is like a Hydra, finish one project and two more projects take its place. That's why it has taken me 6 months the replace the busted drawer pull in the kitchen, soon as I do the house will need a new roof and the bathroom tile will be need to be ripped up, because they start with the easy stuff then next thing you know your house is a full on construction site for 18 months.
RustyBoltz
AG
Really struggling to get to projects when I still have to go into the office 7-4 everyday but not training for an IM that was cancelled has freed up both time and energy.

Hopefully I can finish garage shelving and finally organize all the SO's decorations in between a bunch of lawn rehab.
I have further plans for building a large workbench and tool organizer in the garage and a pain cave nook for next winter. IF the weather holds, I may even get around to some significant landscaping projects.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The wife and I are both still working, so project time is still a little hard to come by. Luckily we at least have a day off together now.
Gary79Ag
AG
In the process of finally installing a vent hood over the stove area.

Totally gutted and renovated the kitchen about 6 years ago, but haven't installed a vent hood since then, until now as it took that long for the wife to decide what kind of vent hood to install. Initially wanted me to build one but couldn't decide on what kind and finally decided to but one on-line from WayFair last week.

Thing that pisses me off is that the roofer installed a new roof back then and I got them to install the roof jack for the vent hood. However, when I got in the attic the other day, I discovered they didn't cut thru the decking when they installed it so I have to determine where to cut the needed opening in the decking.
lawless89
Now we are painting the brick fireplace
TMoney2007
AG
lawless89 said:

Now we are painting the brick fireplace
Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

I mean,.. Its your house but, man, do I hate me some painted brick...

Last weekend bought a pump and did a vinegar flush on my tankless water heater.
Article 58-10 Offender
through sheer chance and luck, my family closed on a new (to us) house about a week before all of this craziness went down. the first week we spent moving stuff over to the new place and cleaning out the old house, and since then we've been getting settled and I've been working multiple projects:

done or underway:
installed a pullup bar in my backyard
built a plyo box
painted shutters
pressure washed everything - driveway, back porch, house
building bookcases, i'm about 75% done with this

still to do:
refurbish a porch swing that I got from my grandmother's house when she died (my uncle built it in the 70s)
paint hood and windshield on my jeep
begin process of re-doing landscaping and adding lighting to yard
whatever else pops up as I go along
Hoyt Ag
AG
Done so far in 3 weeks:
-new wood floors in bedroom
-painted bathroom
-built 3 barn doors, 6 cutting boards and 2 tabletops
-3 new planter boxes
-planted garden
-pressure washed everything possible

To do
-12x24 mobile chicken tractor
-rose bed boxes
-build headboard and nightstands
-butcher block top for my kitchen
-haircut and a shave
Article 58-10 Offender
Quote:

-haircut and a shave
oh come on, there's only so much your wife should expect.
91_Aggie
AG
In the middle of shed replacement

22 years ago i put in a shed kit from Lowes. 8x8 with a wooden floor kit. There was no youtube then to teach me so I put that wooden floor base directly on the ground.

Finally rotted out enough this year for me to tear it down.

Went to harbor freight for a cheap sawzall and took that thing down fairly quickly.

Then spent a lot of time researching how to do a good concrete foundation

Learned enough on youtube and other sources to start clearing and preparing the base.

I got the 8x8 base outer area that will be 8 inches along the perimeter deep with concrete. Dug it down and have a nice trench all around. It looks really good

Of course it started raining today and so now i have a nice moat.

Was going to start filling in with 4 inches of gravel, then lay my 8x8 forms down so i could start prepping the middle area.
Alas, that will have to wait now. Rain chances high for next 5 days or so.
May have to buy a cheap water pump to get all the water out then.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.