Heated pool install & gas meter

8,687 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Southlake Ag
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will likely be putting in a heated pool and I'm wondering if it is necessary to swap out our gas meter for a high pressure one (2lb?). I assume this would also require a regulator to be installed in the house line. I think with all of our appliances and HVAC we are probably pretty close to the supply limit if everything is running (which is never the case as that includes multiple outdoor grills). The house was recently built and the plumbing and electric was done with a pool in mind, so all else should be good. Thoughts?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Multiple outdoor grills?

More info please.
RK
AG
just a gas grill and a griddle...not as cool as you were hoping.
flown-the-coop
AG
Probably not. Even most tankless (for inside house) do not require. But if you do, then yes on regulator.

Plumber doing the pool work should be able to advise you on it.
Bassmaster
AG
We put one in this time last year and we had to upgrade our meter.
RK
AG
Bassmaster said:

We put one in this time last year and we had to upgrade our meter.

Did you have to get a plumber to install a regulator beforehand? If so, remember the ballpark cost?
tweekac
AG
Are you using a pool builder, or are you going the DIY route? Only reason I ask is, that you're pool builder should be able to advise you on that.

Most likely you will need to have your meter "upgraded". When I say upgraded, it's not a swap, but more of an adjustment the preexisting meter (especially if it's a newer home). We just finished our pool build in December, and that was one of the last steps. My pool builder had me contact centerpoint so they could come out and look at the my equipment and then make the needed adjustments. Took the centerpoint guy about 30 minutes and cost about $300.

For reference, we were adding a 400k BTU heater for our pool and spa. When the pool contractors ran the new gas line to the equipment pad, they also installed a regulator at the pad along with a valve to shut off the gas at the pad.
Bassmaster
AG
My process was exactly as tweek described above.
ABATTBQ11
AG
When are you inviting us all over?
Oh Four Five
AG
I got a quote from centerpoint two days ago for $350 to upgrade my meter in west Houston.
Premium
AG
So does $100 a day to heat a pool sound right? A few months ago it was pretty cold and I ran it - based on the meter speed I was estimating $100 a day.
shihitemuslim
AG
Centerpoint is the only ones that can do it. It's hard for them to come to do it. It's is $350.
shihitemuslim
AG
I heard it's like $300 every time to heat it up
brush99
AG
It is not even close to $100 per day for my pool 20k gallons. I think it is probably about $10-20
rlb28
AG
brush99 said:

It is not even close to $100 per day for my pool 20k gallons. I think it is probably about $10-20
I say closer to $50-$75
TxAg20
AG
Last year it was about $60 to heat my 14,000 gallons from 55F to 82F. I just heated it again, but haven't received my gas bill.
agnerd
AG
shihitemuslim said:

I heard it's like $300 every time to heat it up
Friend had a pool party in the middle of winter and it was $350 for a good size pool (25k gallons I think). Heating it 10 degrees in march will be much cheaper than 30 degrees in january.
AgCPA95
AG
Last spring break we had family in for their spring break so we heated our pool from around 65 to 83 and maintained that for 3 or 4 days (plus using the hottub some) and it looks like it cost us about $100 based on the increase in our bill. It was warming up that week some which helped. We have 23,000 gallons

Was warmer this year when the quarantine started so water was already around 72 but maintaining it around 83 as kids are swimming every day. Don't care what it costs.....our sanity is priceless
Premium
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Last spring break we had family in for their spring break so we heated our pool from around 65 to 83 and maintained that for 3 or 4 days (plus using the hottub some) and it looks like it cost us about $100 based on the increase in our bill. It was warming up that week some which helped. We have 23,000 gallons

Was warmer this year when the quarantine started so water was already around 72 but maintaining it around 83 as kids are swimming every day. Don't care what it costs.....our sanity is priceless

Must not be in O&G
Southlake Ag
AG
We are building a new pool at our house and both pool builders we talked to says Atmos Energy (gas company in DFW) will install for free if we install pool heater (which we will). They will do it for free because they want you to use more gas. Makes sense. Told The heater takes an hour to increase the temperature 1 degree (20,000 gallon pool and 45 degree outside temperature). Both guys said the same thing about heating the pool and raising water temperature. Maybe it's an industry standard .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.