Replacing hot/cold shower diverter

1,460 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EMY92
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As part of our kids bathroom update... I'm thinking I want to replace the shower/tub faucet. But I don't really want to do the valve right now.

Anybody know what brand these may be?

And any possible update knobs/shower head and tub spout that won't require me cutting hole in wall behind and replacing the valve?
nomadic_ag
AG
The knobs, escutcheon plates, and spout will all be relatively easy to replace. The gold cosmetic spacers between the knobs on the wall may be a different story. I hope I'm wrong and it's all easy. But Home Depot sells replacement kits for knobs, as well as new spouts and shower heads.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks. I saw those kits, but wasn't sure if they would match due to the size of the spacers. It's really an odd set up. I'm going to try a couple of the local yokels and see if they can figure it out

Another thing I'm experimenting with is sanding and painting them. Using a rustoleum marine type paint. I have some spare parts from the master shower demo we did and I am working on sanding, Painting and testing them to see how they hold up
TMoney2007
AG
I don't think you'll see a ton of options for the style of the replacements, but at least they would look fresh.

Do you have any idea why those extensions are on there? Can they be removed?

They look weird.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TMoney2007 said:

I don't think you'll see a ton of options for the style of the replacements, but at least they would look fresh.

They look weird.

Not real sure. I confirmed with a plumber that they are Gerber brand, and only options are chrome/brass.

I'm going to see about painting them to update and then replacing the knob portion with a new fitting. At least freshen it up a bit until I am ready for a full redo.
Whoop Delecto
AG
nomadic_ag
AG
TMoney2007 said:

They look weird.
My guess is that the stems stick out really far and those extensions are just cosmetic spacers to hide the valve stem.
Señor Chang
AG
I'd check out www.build.com. They have way more options than HD/Lowes.
Absolute
AG
If you are in dfw check out teters plumbing supply. They can tell you what it is and what is available to change out.
OldArmyBrent
AG
You may be able get new stems that aren't quite as long and then replace the escutcheon and knobs. Not sure that will get you much more than a different color builder grade, though.
EMY92
AG
Gerber is trash. I'm thinking about remodeling both of my bathrooms just to get rid of the ones I have.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.