Replacing Water Heater Question

984 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mookie
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noticed the pan underneath my water heater now has water in it. The unit is 18 years old so I'm certain it's time for a replacement.

It's in the second floor attic (ugh).

Should I purchase the new water heater and then pay someone to install like a handyman or general contractor?

Or

Should I hire a plumber to do the whole thing?

My thought is a plumber might be more expensive per hour to do the labor.
TMoney2007
AG
What size water heater is it?
Dr. Doctor
AG
Most plumbers I have seen will charge a flat rate, depending on the location; i.e., garage is $x, attic is $y, etc.

In NE Houston, it is $1200 (usually) for each water heater. I've had several neighbors around me hire different people, but all came out to the same price.

Not sure if they would install a non-they-purchased heater, as they usually make 20-30% on the purchase of the heater off of you.

~egon
Frok
AG
TMoney2007 said:

What size water heater is it?

50 gallon
Frok
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Most plumbers I have seen will charge a flat rate, depending on the location; i.e., garage is $x, attic is $y, etc.

In NE Houston, it is $1200 (usually) for each water heater. I've had several neighbors around me hire different people, but all came out to the same price.

Not sure if they would install a non-they-purchased heater, as they usually make 20-30% on the purchase of the heater off of you.

~egon

I wonder if I should purchase and hire a contractor to do it.
ftworthag02
AG
We had a 50g Bradford white with auto shut off valve installed 2 yrs ago in our attic for $1600
Mookie
AG
Get a quote from a plumber for both. There may be additional equipment needed to get you to code anyway.

I replaced a blown 10 year old tank last year in Austin. The plumber told me to buy one from blue or orange and he would install and do the code upgrades. $800 in Austin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.