Bathroom Remodel for class of '60 - IS A MASTER TUB NECESSARY?

1,543 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
ravingfans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Father-in-Law '60, has Alzheimers and some health issues that are making it difficult for him. We have a caregiver that comes to the house 3x per week to bathe him. He is around 200 lbs and a lot to handle, especially if he is having a less cooperative day.

TLDR Version: Is a Master Tub needed to sell a house?

We would like to make the house as comfortable as possible without spending too much of a fortune, but also don't want to do anything weird that makes it hard to sell, whether that is 3 months, a year, two years or 5 years from now.

The current bathroom setup is a sunken master tub against the wall opposite the vanity, and a sunken (by 8") master shower with a narrow 22" entry. The master shower is big enough once you are inside, but getting in is the issue. I framed up a platform to raise the shower to the height of the threshold with a nice teak-wood tile surface so he doesn't have to step down the 8" and this is working pretty well, but getting in and out of the narrow opening is a continuing challenge.

a couple of contractors have come out to take a look and offer options. Both have suggested instead of trying to raise the current shower and widen its opening, to replace the sunken tub with a large walk-in shower with an opening big enough for a wheelchair if that is ever needed. Convert the sunken shower into a closet after raising its level and replacing the tile with sheetrock, etc.

Since we have a sunken tub, the current slab doesn't need to be cut out to make room for the plumbing to get proper slope on the drainage, etc.

My big question: Is a Master Tub necessary for when we do sell the house? Both contractors independently said that our new wave of millenial buyers are preferring a nice big walk-in shower rather than a tub. The tubs they do want are the free-standing types as opposed to the built-in whirlpool designs.

We do have a tub in the hallway bathroom, so a family will be able to bathe their kids and wash their dog there at least.

The neighborhood is turning middle-class hispanic overall.

will send photos when I can--I live an hour away and mother-in-law doesn't know how to use the camera on her iPhone...
Sazerac
AG
Not at all
Vernada
AG
NO. Waste of space.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Granted I'm younger, but..

When we bought our "new to us house", it was built in 1987 and the master tub removed completely. We have a sitting area which is much more useful and a nicer use of the space. Previous owners (older couple) removed it. Was a bonus point for us.

Our shower is big enough now you can put a shower chair in there, with a wand, and the person can do a 360 without hitting anything. All glass around (1/2 of the walls), so you can see if they fell or not.

To me, I always liked houses that did not have a tub, as I cannot fit in them (super tall, can't stretch out).

~egon
htxag09
AG
No, a master bath is not necessary. I don't think most buyers will care.

Having said that, a mater bath is a must for my wife and she wouldn't consider a house without one or without the ability to put one in. But I know she's not the norm anymore.
htxag09
AG
Yes, that sitting area seems to be doing a great job as a junk collector
TMoney2007
AG
Be sure to add 2X blocking all around in the shower so you can add grab handles. Also, add it around the toilet while you are in there.

Buy some extra tiles and save them so that a future owner will be able to replace the ones with holes in them from grab handles.

Don't worry about the tub. I agree with everyone else that it isn't necessary for resale.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Staging area for clothes...

And was nice to have to store kid things (photo taken when youngest was tiny-baby and bathed in sink. Now it holds clothes for the next day for me.

~egon
barney94
AG
I'm with the rest of these folks.

As long as you keep the tub in the hall bath for bathing kids, the big shower in the master is the way to go.
Vernada
AG
something like that would become my clothes purgatory... not dirty enough for the hamper, but not clean enough for the drawer/closet.
ravingfans
AG
SO Many great responses and so helpful! Thank you all so much. My wife loved Dr Doc's seat

Any thoughts about Hispanic familia preferences?

Our cousin (real estate appraiser but commercial) said the house might not appeal to 20% of the buyers, but might appeal to others that would love a big walk in shower, so a wash at the minimum.

Thanks again folks!
IslandAg76
AG
We are in the middle of a remodel and are removing master bath tub and enlarging the shower. Still have a regular sized tub in a guest bath though
Dr. Doctor
AG
Vernada said:

something like that would become my clothes purgatory... not dirty enough for the hamper, but not clean enough for the drawer/closet.
Not saying you're right, but....
jtraggie99
AG
I know I'm in the minority here, but I would never buy a house without a master bath. I almost did when I purchased my current house, but I have one and use it almost daily. I'm 6'1" and those builder grade baths in the second bathroom are too small for me.
one MEEN Ag
AG
jtraggie99 said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I would never buy a house without a master bath. I almost did when I purchased my current house, but I have one and use it almost daily. I'm 60'1" and those builder grade baths in the second bathroom are too small for me.
Clifford is that you? How are you typing this?

planoaggie123
AG
Just stating what has been said....as long as there is at least 1 tub in the house you dont need to have one in the master.

We just sold our house...with no tub in master and only 1 upstairs in a jack and jill...and we sold it for over market value and were under contract in under 10 days with 5 or 6 offers. To be fair our home was in a desirable area at a price range that does not have a ton of inventory but still...people are 100% willing to overlook that "negative" with enough other postives.

Do what is best for your dad and makes life easier/better. That value alone would be worth any minor impact to future selling...
jtraggie99
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

jtraggie99 said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I would never buy a house without a master bath. I almost did when I purchased my current house, but I have one and use it almost daily. I'm 60'1" and those builder grade baths in the second bathroom are too small for me.
Clifford is that you? How are you typing this?

Ha ha ha.....good one....I missed that
The Collective
AG
Just here to see to say that I'm an older Millenial, and we just ripped the bathtub out of our master bathroom. Feels so much better to have that **** gone.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The obligatory big ass tub was a really cool new feature back in 1996. I hate having it in our house. 6 years in this house and it has been used twice. Both times by me when I hurt my back doing something stupid. Would much rather a big shower and additional storage space.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.