Pool Overflow Drain

11,459 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jason Ag
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Definitely trying to repair vs replace.

I like the idea of concrete at the discharge. Not sure why I didn't think about that.

Will probably try and clear clog this weekend (fingers crossed I have time and energy and ability) and then will start finalizing plans for that final discharge setup.

These are 2 of ours as examples. The one with the 2" pipe is a pump discharge into alley so a good example.

planoaggie123
AG
Thanks! That looks like a good option.

I can't tell from your pic...is your pipe below, even with or above the alley level?

My pipe is lower than the alley by just a bit which in my head causes me some difficulties but maybe a mild slope up at the end wont have much impact since the water will have been "running" for several yards and should have momentum to go up a bit...
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ours is slightly higher but even if it was below it would be okay because it's a pump discharge. Yours on the other hand really needs to be slightly higher or at least level. You could maybe dig backwards and replace some of it from the point where elevation is higher.
planoaggie123
AG
Makes sense.

Backwards/replace is tricky b/c I have a fence + spinkler line + tree line (roots) all within 8 feet from the discharge.

That is why i am thinking about digging down along my alley to a point where the alley drops a bit and can get it level with the alley concrete. Only thing to worry about there is telephone line but I found those wires already. I would probabably use pipe that has holes to help facilitate discharge too. Maybe one night this week or weeekend I will get some better pictures to show the entire "situation"
mAgnoliAg
AG
Don't put any pipe with holes. If you can get the level right you need solid pipe to take all the water onto the concrete
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. I was thinking might help drain but I guess to that point could accelerate clogging?

Another side-comment/question....in doing this whole project, I found a drain near where a tree use to be (they didnt try and remove stump) and the drain only goes out about 5 - 7 feet and terminates into the dirt. The pipe has holes. I can't for the life of me imagine what they were thinking / doing with that one. The benefit at one point had to be minimal at best. I am ordering a lid to just cover it and forget about it (as opposed to digging it up and ripping up our grass, etc).

Appreciate everyone chiming in. Admittedly I am not the most handy person but over the past year I have grown tired of paying people do do everything so learning how to do things more and more (last night I even fixed a broken garage door that got bound up somehow). So some of my questions may not always make sense and I appreciate anyone poking holes in my ideas!
mAgnoliAg
AG
Could've been a perforated pipe for oxygen for the tree?
planoaggie123
AG
Maybe. I am wondering if that area was raised a bit for the tree and a formal flower bed and maybe it held water so they were trying to move water from the area.

It is a 3" or 4" pipe. Elbow joint with a grate that then attaches to the pipe which goes a few feet away. All was burried / covered.

The previous owner spent some serious money on a few projects but at the same time left fairly obvious errors alone for yeears and years....
planoaggie123
AG
Bumping again.

I am determined to get this fix. Ashamed to admit how much time I have spent on this.

I dug up some of the yard and cut into the pipe trying to get water in and clear it out but there seems to be 1 or 2 obstructions that the water is struggling to break through.

I am going to rent an auger tomorrow. The guy at Home Depot warned against it b/c he said it can mess up the PVC pipe but honestly it doesnt work as is anyway so can't really make my situation any worse....
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. Finally found my issue. Whenever the sprinkler was installed or repaired they just chopped my drainage pipe and moved along.

What I need to decide now is do I use flex pipe and go over the sprinkler OR do I cut sprinkler, repair my draining and build a U shape for sprinkler to go over drainage.

Flex would be easiest but that hump would obviously make draining issue if not enough "force"

The concern about building the sprinkler over would be stability and if it could shift or move over time.

Add picture:

planoaggie123
AG
Leaning towards going under the drainage pipe with sprinkler line and creating a u-shape. Will that cause any water pressure issues?

Basically this concept but down instead of up.

mAgnoliAg
AG
Sprinkler pipe doesn't matter at all. Plumb it anyway you want. Drain pipe has to keep grade. I think with as much time as you've spent on this, you could've replaced all the drainage by yourself and put a better system than what you have in.
planoaggie123
AG
Lol you are probably right. Leave me alone. I will be done with this in under a year!!!

Edit: here is my 4.5 ft clog I pulled out.

planoaggie123
AG
Wow this was a pain. Kept having drips. Finally got to no drips. Going to let dry overnight and see how much energy I have tomorrow if I want to turn on and test. Haven't cut water back on yet.

planoaggie123
AG
...time to call in a pro.

After a few hours I guess pressure built back up and now have a small leak. No more grace from the wife. Time to pay someone to come over and fix this stuff and move along with our lives...
Bottlerocket
AG
You gave a valiant effort
Bottlerocket said:

I tried. Just annoyed I didnt finish the project on own.

Seems like all the sprinkler companies are slammed right now. Everyone scheduling 1 - 2 weeks out and more...
Gary79Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Bottlerocket said:

I tried. Just annoyed I didnt finish the project on own.

Seems like all the sprinkler companies are slammed right now. Everyone scheduling 1 - 2 weeks out and more...
Just cut that mess out and install this flexible coupling available at Lowe's and Home Depot in its place and thank me later!

Jason Ag
AG
Since it isnt something urgent like your house water line, I'd say cut out what you did and give it another go. Sometimes even for the pro's the first time is practice. I've also used these things for buried lines without give.

Homewerks Worldwide 3/4 in. PVC Compression Coupling
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks-Worldwide-3-4-in-PVC-Compression-Coupling-511-43-34-34H/206667869

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.