Pool Overflow Drain

11,771 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jason Ag
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after the last two long rains, we realized our overflow drain is not working. The water was at the extreme edge of our pool. Our pool guy suggested a few options:

1) get a company out that basically blows air through and pushes out any clogs. He said risk is that if piping not done well it could mess it up and cause more issues.

2) run some copper wire and detector to see if/where there is a clog

3) plumbing company come out with one of those cameras.

Anyone had similar issues or thoughts? I lean toward blowing out and see if that works. After that it might require some digging I guess....
flown-the-coop
AG
How complicated is the drain? At old house, it ran about 3 ft under the pool decking into the yard. At new house, I have no clue as we have about 20 french drains around the house. I assume it ties into one of those systems and runs to front of house. In that case, would probably have to call plumber and camera it.
FatZilla
AG
Have a plumber run a power washer clog buster head down the pipe and see if they can unstop it. I wouldn't recommend the compressed air until last resort.

If you have a power washer, you can buy the hose + head for prolly cheaper than the plumber bill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shop-Tuff-Clog-Buster-for-Sewers-Pipers-and-Drains-STF-100SPCB/206704325

If this doesn't work then you will want it scoped. Roots or a complete pipe collapse would be suspected at that point and will require digging and replacing.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok thanks!
Bregxit
AG
Take the grate off and use a wet/dry vac to suck out the clog.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. I may give that a shot. Does that mean it would likely be a fairly shallow clog? We had the grate replaced a month ago because the previous was broken so I think it's fairly likely it's a clog issue vs a worse underground pipe issue
Bregxit
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Ok. I may give that a shot. Does that mean it would likely be a fairly shallow clog? We had the grate replaced a month ago because the previous was broken so I think it's fairly likely it's a clog issue vs a worse underground pipe issue

No idea. But anytime I have something stop flowing right on my pool I put the shopvac to it. Usually a ball of leaves (on return lines) or mud (on the drain) gets sucked out and things work again.
PlanoAg98
AG
You don't really need the overflow drain, do you? I patched mine up. There was only a few inches (~3) between the skimmer bottom edge and overflow drain. Therefore, I could not fill it that much. Any time we get a good amount of rain, I just run the backwash for a bit to get the level down.
agchino
AG
Why couldn't you go rent a pipe snake from Home Depot and run it down the drain line and root out the clog?

It should be PVC and this is just an overflow line from the pool, it shouldn't tie in to sewer or anything. What is the risk of busting the pipe down the line?

At my parents the overflow line just terminated in the yard near a natural drainage pathway. Heavy rains we would see water bubbling out of the grass at that spot.
Bregxit
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

You don't really need the overflow drain, do you? I patched mine up. There was only a few inches (~3) between the skimmer bottom edge and overflow drain. Therefore, I could not fill it that much. Any time we get a good amount of rain, I just run the backwash for a bit to get the level down.

Not all pools have a backwash setup. Those are primarily for sand or DE filters and if you have a DE filter, backwashing will flush some of the DE from your grids. If you have a cartridge filter you most likely have no backwash plumbing because it isn't needed.
planoaggie123
AG
We do have a DE filter and backwash is how we got the water down but my preference would be to have a working overflow drain vs having to run backwash every time it rains. My wife would not be thrilled as that would probably most often fall to her.
planoaggie123
AG
So messed around a bit with the overflow today.

I just tried putting a hose in and see if / when water would come rushing back. It took about 15+ min but eventually about equal amounts of water we're going in and out.

I finally started pulling back the rock to find this setup

Not sure how far or where the water goes to be honest.

edit: what is that sticking up attached to the pipe?
planoaggie123
AG
I think at this point we just want to have someone come out and inspect the line with a camera and see what is going on.

Anyone have any companies other than Roto Rooter they recommend?
flown-the-coop
AG
Is the green attached to the drain pipe in the picture? Its hard for me to see. If so, its likely draining that rock bed into same drain as pool overflow. Assuming they have the pipe to drain away from pool, they just tapped into that route to drain the bed.

My guess would be that line extends under concrete and continues in a straight line. Does the grass / yard slope away from the pool on that side? Could lead to a pop-up drain thats been covered in grass and no longer pops up or is stuck when draining. But you would need some slope on that yard to have them have gone that route (looking back at the trees along fence it seems as though you do have some slope.

planoaggie123
AG
Yes. Green thing is attached to the pipe....i honestly just thought it was access/air flow not realizing it is likely a drain for the bed.. I am 99% sure the pipe continues on...

We have 1 obvious pipe that extends behind our house but we are not sure if that is for the other drain holes around the house or if it is for the overflow...maybe all? The strange thing is when i ran water down the overflow nothing came out.

I am going to spend some time this weekend looking for another potential "exit". Maybe something like that pop up but would they have put that in the yard and allow chemicals in the grass?

I called Riverbend and they seem to believe its likely not a big deal and that sometimes these drains just are not overly efficient and it may work, just slowly....
flown-the-coop
AG
Pool water from an overflow drain is likely not going to mess with your grass. Keep in mind that during an overflow its likely driven by an influx of fresh water further diluting the chemicals.

We have a lot of french drains around the back patio, pool and cabana. Even have a couple drains in the flower beds around the pool with the same green cap you have in your rock bed - which was the basis of my guess on that.

I have not mapped out our drainage "system", but there are more than several pop up drains out in the yard as it slopes to the street and to the left side of house.

BTW - You may be able to rent a plumber camera from Home Depot.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks. I am going to try and get out and look around and mess with it some this weekend. Would like to figure this out.
Usoos
AG
If you're talking about the green cone thing, that is the inlet grate to a line. Normally see them on french drains or other landscaping drains.

Usoos
AG

https://store.rainbird.com/dg4rag-4-inch-plastic-round-atrium-drainage-grate-green.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RainBirdPLA&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0pfzBRCOARIsANi0g0sVtsVjKeA7sgu-sr-zJHIO_ScrulE4QxEeunuia-oy8vdF6CYy8osaAgi0EALw_wcB
planoaggie123
AG
Yes. That is exactly it. Makes sense having one there if that area were to fill up could leak into pull in theory.

I am going to mess with it one more time this coming weekend. I did some on Saturday and I ran water from a hose down for 10.5 min and then it "filled up". I got sidetracked and didn't watch how long till it went down. It was completely dry by Sunday afternoon. That tells me water is going somewhere but very slow. Obviously that did not just evaporate but something is probably slowing the flow at some pint down the line.
JP76
I would pop that green inlet cap off and run a water hose down it and try to blow it out. Keep running the hose into it until you hit blockage and eventually it should blast through it unless it is tree roots.

If that doesn't work I would try one of these on the end of the water hose and repeat

https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Brass-Sweeper-Nozzle-Washers/dp/B0186NHC7Q/ref=pd_aw_sbs_86_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0186NHC7Q&pd_rd_r=973ef754-ced8-48d4-8fe5-20d169944e48&pd_rd_w=Ayqfq&pd_rd_wg=xIqFW&pf_rd_p=c4ecef2b-f80c-450e-b972-ac33431b0d29&pf_rd_r=Q3Z7E4HJ7YD8KB2R3PSJ&psc=1&refRID=TWSD8AR9Z60X2A1QJ0WS#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
planoaggie123
AG
Bumping as I finally got the shovel out this weekend. I found the end of our pipe and it was 100% covered and is packed with dirt and mud.

I am not sure if this is even "auger-able" with a professional company? Thoughts?

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm guessing some or all needs to be replaced. If that fence post is in concrete i would be surprised if there's a conflict there.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Gary79Ag
AG
Might try a high pressure straight nozzle on a water hose from that end and see if you can slowly blow it out depending on how long of a run we're talking about!
planoaggie123
AG
I had the same concern and dug some more later and if actually seems to clear the post. I am going to do a bit more digging / clearing tomorrow. It takes a little time as there is telephone line and also my sprinkler line on the other side. Not sure how deep sprinkler runs but obviously don't want to hit it.

Edit: there may still be a chance I could need to replace some or all but really want to try and avoid it if at all possible. Hopefully and auger or water can clear it with a bit of time and patience.
planoaggie123
AG
I have a little jet nozzle and may try it but seems like it would be too weak to break it up. May try that first but then would need to see if i could rent something.

Edit: the pipe from pool to fence is probably 20+ yards. Don't believe it's clogged the whole way from tests I ran but it could he half the way.
planoaggie123
AG
Made a little more progress. Used a manual auger and tried to clear the pipe. Made pretty good progress but eventually wore out.

At the end I ran water down the drain to see what kind of progress I made (if any). At first, no water came out but I kept after it (more auger) and eventually got some water flow but not enough to say it's clear. Will pick it back up next weekend probably.

planoaggie123
AG
Any thoughts on what to do re: the draining out of water. It may not be easy to see but the pipe opening is at / below the driveway level.

I am thinking about digging my own trench and extending the pipe down that path.

Another option is using one of those "pop-up" ends but I feel like that option would likely leave a decent amount of residual water in my pipes...
Gary79Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Any thoughts on what to do re: the draining out of water. It may not be easy to see but the pipe opening is at / below the driveway level.

I am thinking about digging my own trench and extending the pipe down that path.

Another option is using one of those "pop-up" ends but I feel like that option would likely leave a decent amount of residual water in my pipes...
FYI, the "pop-up" fitting has a hole at the bottom of the "pop-up" fitting to allow water to drain out of the pipe as opposed to stand in the pipe!
planoaggie123
AG
Ahhh. Ok. Maybe something to consider then.

Only thing is this is 20 or so yards of pipe so not sure how much that hole would accommodate before ground saturation or is that even an issue?

Edit: Watching videos looks like what I need to do is dig a few feet below and fill with pea gravel should i go the pop-up route vs extending pipe
Gary79Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Only thing is this is 20 or so yards of pipe so not sure how much that hole would accommodate before ground saturation or is that even an issue?

Edit: Watching videos looks like what I need to do is dig a few feet below and fill with pea gravel should i go the pop-up route vs extending pipe
I wouldn't think that would be an issue as the water evacuated by the pipe will also have saturated the area.

Best configuration would be if the pipe was extended to a street curb to drain.
planoaggie123
AG
Gary79Ag said:

planoaggie123 said:

I wouldn't think that would be an issue as the water evacuated by the pipe will also have saturated the area.

Best configuration would be if the pipe was extended to a street curb to drain.
Thanks for the respones. I appreciate it.

That is what i thought. It current runs right into the "street" (alley) but due to slope etc, I think I will need to trench down a little ways (extend the pipe) so that I can get it to drain straight to the back alley road with a better angle for better draining. Thinking trench, use corrugate pipe / pebble.

First need to finish clearing the pipe but cautiously optimistic i can get it done this weekend. May go rent a powered auger vs my manual one....
Gary79Ag
AG
Rent one from Home Depot with a power feed, not a manual feed and you should be good to go!
mAgnoliAg
AG
I thought I had posted on this thread in March but I guess not. Of course replacing it all would be what I would do but I'm also in the drainage business. One thing I can tell you to consider since y'all are trying to figure out best way to discharge there in the alley: open discharge the pipe as it is now but build a concrete discharge area surrounding the pipe
planoaggie123
AG
Definitely trying to repair vs replace.

I like the idea of concrete at the discharge. Not sure why I didn't think about that.

Will probably try and clear clog this weekend (fingers crossed I have time and energy and ability) and then will start finalizing plans for that final discharge setup.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.