About to start major construction/renovation, what insurance protection should I have

1,257 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie304
Aggie304
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In place? Lots of framing at 30+ feet off ground. Removing some huge trees next to home. Many different contractors.

What protection levels and policies should I purchase?

Thanks
Post removed:
by user
flown-the-coop
AG
You want them to have effective general liability AND builder's risk. Builder's risk is very limited on what it covers, typically to the benefit of the builder and not you. The general liability will cover consequential damage from any mistakes or other dumbarssery they may cause at your house.

Have your own umbrella policy as well to cover you. Should your curious neighbor climb the scaffold to check on the work progress, you may want to have some coverage.
TMoney2007
AG
If you have a general contractor, they need to provide you with an insurance certificate with your job shown as being covered. If you are subbing it out yourself, you should get certificates from as many as possible.

They should all have general liability coverage, but if you hire an individual, they may not. You can either not work with them or cover yourself with your own policy.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Making sure you're not acting as super/foreman goes a long way in Texas.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CP/htm/CP.95.htm
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
TMoney2007
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Making sure you're not acting as super/foreman goes a long way in Texas.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CP/htm/CP.95.htm
"(1) the property owner exercises or retains some control over the manner in which the work is performed,"

What's the case law to support this? Cause that is super vague.
Aggie304
Sasappis said:

Do you have a GC? Requiring a builders risk policy and indemnification is a good start.

For yourself, a million dollar umbrella is cheap. Just make sure your agent understands what is going on so all of your underlying policies provide the necessary coverage.

Insurance companies tell me that an umbrella policy will not cover me from any contractors or anything related to any kind of construction work taking place on the property.
Aggie304
Could I start my own LLC and just call it Aggie 304 home remodeling, and then take out a liability policy to protect myself? I could transfer my money for the project to the LLC and let all the checks be written out of the LLC to my contractor?
kingj3
AG
I could talk with you about a builder's risk policy with premises liability added.

You do not have to be the builder to take out the builder's risk.

jacob@trustedinsurancepartners.com
Aggie304
kingj3 said:

I could talk with you about a builder's risk policy with premises liability added.

You do not have to be the builder to take out the builder's risk.

jacob@trustedinsurancepartners.com

Thanks, I will email you
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.