Home Improvement DIY

3,012 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TTU_IPLAW
TTU_IPLAW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy, started an account I am giving to my wife.... to encourage here to embrace Aggieland and the community. To get started I will be commiting it to this thread and all our home projects until resolved -

Yes, I married a raider. Yes she is awesome.

• we want to replace our outer fence with board on board. 76 linear feet. Anyone have recommendations for DFW area fence supply for DIY? Or Fencing company recommendations for NRH/Keller area?

Current fence is 4" x 6' pickets on aluminum post.

As bonus reclaiming old fence for kids fort

• pyramid hip or pocket hip roofline above garage, when i was looking in it the other day to put up chrostmas tree i noticed the doubled up 2x8 - running left to right if looking at garage door, from outer wall to house - has front to back 2x6 on hangers to garage door and to back outer wall.

The concerning part was 2 2x6's that were cut at 45 degree and a center post from the midbeam. Non of them are touching the interior of the roofline. They were clearly nailed into frame at some point but have 4-6" of seperation.

Previous owner or even many owners ago, built in 86 and we are 4th owner, covered all the attic in garage with plywood & garbage

• shed

• Pics to come
    txag2008
    AG
    I can chime in about the fence part. For material, I went with Viking fence in Garland. http://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3036410
    BrazosDog02
    AG
    I can chime in about roof joists....how do you know they were touching at one time? On any given roof built by labor in the last 50 years, I'd put money on short cut rafters rather than some that pulled apart.

If they truly pulled apart....and I cannot think of a physically possible way that can happen with out clear external manifestation of damage, then I guess that's a problem. If they are short cut, it doesn't matter. They are connected by roof sheathing.
    ravingfans
    AG
    BrazosDog02 said:

I can chime in about roof joists....how do you know they were touching at one time? On any given roof built by labor in the last 50 years, I'd put money on short cut rafters rather than some that pulled apart.

If they truly pulled apart....and I cannot think of a physically possible way that can happen with out clear external manifestation of damage, then I guess that's a problem. If they are short cut, it doesn't matter. They are connected by roof sheathing.

So the sheathing is holding the rafters up? Doesn't seem like a good situation if the load is not properly distributed through the rafters and would eventually exhibit some sagging?

Not something to immediately fix, but on the next roofing replacement, address it then...
    TTU_IPLAW
    The roof was replaced as a condition of purchase. We dont assume they have been touching recently as there is no sheeteock sag or cracking in ceiling of garage. But all 3 of the boards that are free of the roof joists have nails pushed thru them in an upward direction. Would indicate they were not cut short but at one point nailed to boards above?
    dubi
    AG
    We need photos!
    BrazosDog02
    AG
    ravingfans said:

BrazosDog02 said:

So the sheathing is holding the rafters up? Doesn't seem like a good situation if the load is not properly distributed through the rafters and would eventually exhibit some sagging?

Not something to immediately fix, but on the next roofing replacement, address it then...

Well, short answer is, if you've ever seen inside an attic or constructed a home, it depends on how you do it and how much half assing was had that day. If you short cut every rafter and shove a couple of nails in it, then sheath it, I guess you can argue about what is holding what up. They should not be short cut at all but the fact is that your framer is chopping them off on the ground and the other guy is yelling measurements and if they are an 1/8" short, pop 4 nails in it and cut the next one a little longer. Most are a little short or a little long and almost none of them are mitered exactly right. They don't measure every section of ridge. They find a measurement that's mostly right and go with it. If the ridge has a little wave to it, some rafters will be short and some too long.

Short cut rafters are not an issue if it's a couple here or there. I've never been in an attic and NOT seen short cut rafters somewhere. We need a lot of pics to see what we're dealing with here.
    TTU_IPLAW
    http://imgur.com/a/UfXl4Lm

Here is a whole mess of photos.
    TTU_IPLAW
    Nothing y'all?
    TTU_IPLAW
    8' 4x4 and bottle jack on center to raise everything back to point of contact and then bracket into place with steel straps and screws?

As a side note, could i just sheetrock thed opening towards the rest of the house and make the garage are lofted storage?
    jaggiemaggie
    AG
    I think people are still waiting for pics of the wife...
    TTU_IPLAW
    Ttt
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.