Bathtub resurfacing

854 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bobinator
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was referred to a gentleman to resurface a bathtub. He's quoting me $325 for one bathtub.

Is this a good price? Seems awfully steep to paint a bathtub.
chick79
AG
You can buy a new one cheaper than that. We did a remodel and bought a new one for less than $300.
n_touch
Don't do it. We had it done and if for some reason it starts to peel in one spot then you will have a whole tub of peeling paint. We did it to buy time and it was not worth it. Go with a new one if you can.
toolshed
AG
If they do it right, it's not simply painting a tub. They should Set up a ventilated space, mask everything off, acid etch the tub, clean that up, and I believe it's a multi step high gloss paint/ finish.

Yes, if it scratches it can peel, but some guys can airbrush the scratch to re seal it so it doesn't peel or bubble up. It's not a permanent solution, but if you aren't changing the surround, it's a cheaper option to get a new looking tub. I've done a few on remodels and never had a call back on them.
BosAG06
AG
I had a almond colored 1987 tub that was chipped to hell and back resurfaced in 2013 and it looked like a brand new (white) tub when they were done. Never had any issues with it and it still looked brand new 5 years later when we sold the house. I think getting someone who knows what their doing is key. I think I paid closer to $500 at the time.

Edit: And thinking back I had kids abuse it for several years with banging toys against it and it never did chip or peel.
jtraggie99
AG
n_touch said:

Don't do it. We had it done and if for some reason it starts to peel in one spot then you will have a whole tub of peeling paint. We did it to buy time and it was not worth it. Go with a new one if you can.
I'll reiterate this. My ex-wife has a house she bought a few years ago, and the previous owners had refinished the bathtub in the second bath. It's all peeling off now and is a big mess. She's decided to just replace the tub now. I have no idea if they hired it out or did it themselves or what was done. But obviously, if not done right, it won't last.
bobinator
AG
We refinished our own using the rustoleum stuff and it was a giant PITA. It's very labor intensive so $325 doesn't sound that crazy.

You have to strip out all the caulk, sand the surface so the new stuff adheres, then clean it with comet or some kind of abrasive to make sure everything is off and it's clean, then it took like three coats of the stuff.

And it stinks to high heaven so we had to use masks/partition off the bathroom/etc.

It's been almost 6 months and our still looks good, but man that was difficult work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.