Pool Fence

2,279 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Killin Me Smalls
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to put a fence around the edge of the pool. Thinking of a 4 foot wrought iron. Any suggestions or DIY options?

Flashdiaz
AG
are you looking to keep toddlers out?

Depends if you're looking for a short-term (couple of years) solution or a more permanent one. If it's more short term until the kids get old enough there are those mesh things that can hook into the pool deck surface. Doesn't look like your pool has odd angles or elevations so it should be straight forward.
agnerd
AG
Agree with Flash. Don't use a permanent solution for a temporary problem.
PlanoAg98
AG
Actually looking for a more permanent one. Not specifically for my kids but I often host neighbors/friends as well as other pets. Just looking to make it a little safer for all.
agnerd
AG
Wrought iron is good. You definitely want to be able to see into the pool from outside. For DIY, one of my neighbors did a wood fence with Wroth inserts that looks pretty good. Like this but with a wrought panel instead of fencing panel:

PlanoAg98
AG
I was thinking of something like this. Not sure if I wanted to sink it into the grass surrounding the concrete or bolt it into the concrete edge. Regardless, a portion of it would need to be bolted/screwed into the concrete where grass is non-existent.

nonameag99
That looks like the fence I have in my yard

http://afence.com/store/54-Tall-Guardian-Doria-Aero-Grade/
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I ended up using katch-a-kid as did a number of my neighbors.
Easy on and easy off
We along with the neighbors host a ton of get togethers with a number of people and kids running around. If the net is on and properly secured the pool is largely forgotten about. Dogs leave the pool alone as well and there is no lost use of the backyard around the pool.

I highly recommend this. With a fence all it takes is one forgetful kid or adult capable of opening it and now you have a potential hazard. Without the ratchet device to take off the net a child under the age of 12 or possibly older can in no way remove it.

380Ag
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I ended up using katch-a-kid as did a number of my neighbors.
Easy on and easy off
We along with the neighbors host a ton of get togethers with a number of people and kids running around. If the net is on and properly secured the pool is largely forgotten about. Dogs leave the pool alone as well and there is no lost use of the backyard around the pool.

I highly recommend this. With a fence all it takes is one forgetful kid or adult capable of opening it and now you have a potential hazard. Without the ratchet device to take off the net a child under the age of 12 or possibly older can in no way remove it.

Another vote for this option. It's what we use and have no complaints.
I also think they come with a lifetime guarantee, meaning they will come back and make any repairs when necessary.
planoaggie123
AG
What is the range or average for one of those catch-a-kid nets? How do they do it when the pool has 2 or 3 exterior elevations?
Ezra Brooks
AG
planoaggie123 said:

What is the range or average for one of those catch-a-kid nets? How do they do it when the pool has 2 or 3 exterior elevations?
I don't know what we paid for our - my wife handled the whole thing - but our hot tub is elevated from the main pool and the net just has a way of connecting. It's quite nice.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. I am sure i could quit being lazy and google. We have pool level, then a level that is actually just "asethic" but it has water and then third level is where the hot tub is....
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Ok. I am sure i could quit being lazy and google. We have pool level, then a level that is actually just "asethic" but it has water and then third level is where the hot tub is....

Ours is a flat pool so no big deal but it's free for them to come out and measure and give a quote

I think mine came out around 18-1900 for a fairly large pool, 17x30ish rectangle. I don't think it will change significantly for multiple layers.
KDubAg
AG
We had katchakid (HOUSTON) come out and give us a quote. ~18x38 kidney shape flat pool. $2100 but they offered us a 20% discount. So $1700 for equipment and install. We haven't pulled the trigger yet but this is our plan. We didn't want fence since our backyard isn't that big. We are just tied up with trying to sell another house before spending the money.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
KDubAg said:

We had katchakid (HOUSTON) come out and give us a quote. ~18x38 kidney shape flat pool. $2100 but they offered us a 20% discount. So $1700 for equipment and install. We haven't pulled the trigger yet but this is our plan. We didn't want fence since our backyard isn't that big. We are just tied up with trying to sell another house before spending the money.

Yea they will always give 20% off if you ask.
MAS444
AG
Question about katchakid and spas... Is there a way to have it set up so you can just remove the portion over the spa and not the whole pool? We're doing a small/simple rectangle pool with small spa in corner (not raised).
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
MAS444 said:

Question about katchakid and spas... Is there a way to have it set up so you can just remove the portion over the spa and not the whole pool? We're doing a small/simple rectangle pool with small spa in corner (not raised).

Yes my neighbor has this exact setup. It won't be taught enough to be effective when the spa is uncovered, but you don't have to remove the whole thing to use the spa, just undue spa when using then latch back down and ratchet taught when done
MAS444
AG
Thanks!
flown-the-coop
AG
Another vote for katch-a-kid, Yes it takes a few minutes at the beginning or end to remove or put on. A few minutes out of pool time is > then dead kid. Its also potentially safer than fence that can be subverted by climbing over, propped open gate, older kid unlatching gate letting younger kid in, etc.

As others have stated, keeps the lab from taking swim on their own and also keeps ducks and other fowl friends out. They can also provide a tamper alarm as well, though ours did not weather well.
nhamp07
AG
Love our catch a kid. Paid 1800 for a 18x32 freeform. Wish I would hav known about the 20%. ha

But a month later they swapped out our basic pulley for the more expensive one for no cost because my wife couldn't tighten the net by herself.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
+1 for Katch-a-kid

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.