Big Green Egg question

3,016 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by farmersfight
Ed Carter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know the company recommends a table nest if putting the egg on top of a surface. Is this really necessary? For reference the spot in my outdoor kitchen where it will be sitting is brick.
AggieSam02
AG
If the base is non combustible completely then no it's probably fine. The challenge may be getting a ceramic bottom to sit on a brick base without rocking since both surfaces aren't perfectly flat. The table nest is only a $30 accessory but will help it sit without rocking when you open and close the lid.

If there's any wood under the brick I would definitely use the table nest.
Aggietaco
AG
People build tables all the time and just throw a 12x12 cement paver under the BGE, you'll be fine. The table nest is just one more sales opportunity for them. Seems like a good idea and sturdy build but not necessary vs. a $2 paver or bricks in your case.
AggieSam02
AG
Lots of photos of burned up tables using those bricks like that. An air gap is required to prevent that heat transfer. That's pretty cheap insurance for a roughly $30-$40 part.
Ed Carter
Ed Carter
AG
Yeah I'm not worried about the extra 30 or $40 I was asking because I've got some dimension limitations on where the egg will be sitting and I think that nest is a little bit wider base then just the base of the egg
AggieSam02
AG
If you can get it to sit without rocking and the base is solid brick you are good to go
Aggietaco
AG
Not going to say it hasn't happened but the only burned tables I've seen on the egghead forum are from eggs sitting directly on a wood table.
sleepybeagle
AG

AggieSam02
AG
We are an egg dealer. We have removed eggs from tables that had a bricks or pavers below and found charred wood. Proceed at your own risk.
java94
AG
I don't have any wood under my Large BGE, but I do have a paver under it, but I also have the ceramic feet between the paver and the BGE. Looks like BGE quit selling them, but you can get them on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Accessories-SAROO-Grill-Ceramic/dp/B07CP1MP9J

AggieSam02
AG
This is what bge recommends except now with table nest instead of feet. Table nest over tile or paver.
NColoradoAG
I would go with the table nest.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I'd get the nest if for no other reason it make it much easier to clean out from underneath the BGE
farmersfight
AG
My BGE sits atop of a slab of leftover kitchen granite sitting on top of 4 -2x4 and have cooked on it for years. Got the fire so hot the bottom ring expanded and the lid fell off while making pizzas, had to be 800-900 degrees at least. Never had an outside fire issue, the gasket did melt.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.