New house, new sod...preventing weed takeover

1,707 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgLA06
Bob_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought December 2019, sod was laid in late November. We back to creek/greenbelt and when the developers cleared the land it was ripe for a weeds to take hold.

On the other side of my fence I sprayed for broadleaf using Ortho 2, 4-d a few weeks ago and that did a good job. Now I have a lot of grassy weeds to contend with. Any easy chemicals I can spray that is safe for new sod? Can't ID them all but looks like ryegrass? The other usual suspects are still around like henbit, dandelion, etc. but I can spot treat those with 2, 4-d.

Aside from pulling the juveniles as I walk the yard, any recommendations what I can apply? Am I safe for a spring pre-emergent treatment on the sod in a month or so?

Bob_Ag
AG
I should also add the lawn is bermuda, not sure which variety was laid. Probably TIF 419 which is pretty common around here.
FincAg
AG
https://neilsperry.com/2016/04/success-with-new-sod/
DeBoss
AG
Look up Neil Sperry if in DFW or northern areas. Randy Lemmon if down towards Houston. They will tell you everything you need.
TMfrisco
AG
Image, available at Home Depot or Lowes will take care of the winter grassy weeds.
cevans_40
AG
I am sure you can find some ronstar G online.
AgLA06
AG
TMfrisco said:

Image, available at Home Depot or Lowes will take care of the winter grassy weeds.

Not for St Augustine grass if anyone else is reading.
Bob_Ag
AG
Thanks all. Shortly after posting I ordered some Quinclorac 75 DF for herbicide and nitrophos Barricade for pre-m. Haven't tried out the herbicide just yet, but it was broad spectrum and seems well recommended.
TMfrisco
AG
AgLA06 said:

TMfrisco said:

Not for St Augustine grass if anyone else is reading.
Image is fine on St. Augustine per the label.
AgLA06
AG
That would be new. The spec sheet specifically said not to use on St. Augustine when I looked it up the day I posted.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.