4 door refrigerators

12 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have a true 4 door fridge? Not a French door with two drawers, but one with 4 doors.

What I really want is a French for fridge with a single door (not drawer) freezer. LG made these at one time because my parents have one, but I guess they weren't very popular.

My hesitation with the 4 door style is the cost (most are well over $2k) and the models that look the most functional are made by Samsung. I haven't heard good things about their fridges.
sleepybeagle
AG
We had a Samsung fridge. We had nothing but trouble with it...
Bregxit
AG
Just say no to Samsung. The fridge is loud, the icemakers do not and will never work right. I won't even buy a Samsung TV because the fridge sucks so bad.
lotsofhp
AG
Got rid of our Samsung too.

Can't believe an ice maker could be such a fail.
sleepybeagle
AG
She doesn't own a Samsung Refrigerator

TXTransplant
Y'all have definitely convinced me to not even consider a Samsung, despite how practical and organized they look

I guess that leaves me to keep my growling and grinding GE piece of junk until another brand besides Samsung comes up with something.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Just here to post another "never again" re Samsung refrigerators. Ice maker failed 2.5 years in. I have a $1600 fridge and I have to buy bagged ice at the grocery store. Google "Samsung ice maker" and you won't make the same mistake I did.
Aggie02
AG
We have a four door Samsung. Had it for three years and no issues. The bottom right can be a freezer or refrigerator. We use it for our toddler to get her own snacks.
nai06
AG
i must have purchased one of the super secret special models of samsung fridges. nearly three years later and we have had 0 problems with the ice maker or other wise. I freaking love this fridge.
JSKolache
AG
Samsung door ice is pure ****e. Turned it off in first month. The lower ice in drawer however is awesome. Drawer ice maker should be mandatory.
Gary79Ag
AG
Stay away from Kenmore Elite...sister has one and they are moving to a new house this month and the damn thing is definitely staying behind. The ice maker has been replaced about 6 times or so...

EDIT: Corrected to read Kenmore Elite instead of Samsung...
EMY92
AG
Funny, I bought a new fridge a couple of weeks ago.

The reviews for all brands are almost identical, until you get to the very high dollar ones. Anything under $4000 the reviews were all the same.

Also, all ice makers suck. I've replaced many over the years, they each lasted about 2 years.
YellAg2004
AG
We have had a 4-door Samsung for almost 3 years now and other than the ice maker, it has been great. The lower right box is a flex space that we keep as a refrigerator and that's where all the canned/bottled drinks go.

Regarding the ice maker, there was a technical service bulletin issued for our model to address the ice maker issues. It cost about $120 in parts from Appliance Parts Pros and took about 30 min. to do the work called for in the TSB. That was about a year ago and since then it has worked great with no issues. If you're a little bit handy, it wasn't hard at all, you just have to be careful to not damage the coolant loop that runs through the ice maker.

Overall we are happy with it. We have a chest freezer in a storage closet near by so we didn't need an entire half to be freezer space where things get hidden to only be discovered a year later during a clean-out.
YellAg2004
AG
EMY92 said:

The reviews for all brands are almost identical, until you get to the very high dollar ones. Anything under $4000 the reviews were all the same.
Also this. I research almost everything, and for large purchases like appliances, I sometimes get to the point of paralysis by analysis. Eventually you come to the same conclusion...regular consumer appliances aren't made to last 30+ years anymore and all the main brands will have reviews calling out issues.

Find the one that will be the most useful for you (best space utilization, features, etc.), but don't be surprised if at some point during the next 5 years, it has some type of issue.
The Fife
LG fridge from 2010 at my place, icemaker is still going strong.
TXTransplant
My dad swears that every ice maker, no matter the brand, will at some point leak or have a problem. He's gone so far as to just disconnect them to avoid the hassle. I don't even use ice, but it is nice to have an ice maker on the rare occasion that I do need some.

No problems with the ice maker in my 7 year old GE, but good grief, it makes the most ridiculous and loud noises! From the start, it buzzed, like I had a bee hive in it. But after a power surge during Harvey (that I at first thought completely killed it), it makes these grinding and growling noises. I'm expecting to come home one day to find that it's gone out and all my food is spoiled.

When I bought my new dishwasher, I took a tour of the refrigerators on display. I wasn't impressed by any of them. Most of them looked all beat up (dents and dings and handles that came off when I opened the door), the multi-drawer models have a ton of wasted space, and I don't need a "smart-fridge".
Vernada
AG
YellAg2004 said:

EMY92 said:

Also this. I research almost everything, and for large purchases like appliances, I sometimes get to the point of paralysis by analysis. Eventually you come to the same conclusion...regular consumer appliances aren't made to last 30+ years anymore and all the main brands will have reviews calling out issues.

Find the one that will be the most useful for you (best space utilization, features, etc.), but don't be surprised if at some point during the next 5 years, it has some type of issue.
and don't forget - the people most likely to leave reviews on this stuff are the ones that have had terrible experiences.
DeBoss
AG
LG here too and I'm sticking with them. Had it for 6 years and the only problem has been the compressor went out a few months ago. $700 later I have a stronger compressor and fridge is working great.
htxag09
AG
We have a Kenmore, I believe their fridges are repackaged LG? The ice maker is in the door so it doesn't take fridge space. Have had it for 8 years now and no issues. Only minor complaint is the capacity is limited because its in the door, but not a huge issue.
IowaAg07
AG
We gave an LG French door with the ice maker in the door and the ice maker works great. We're 3 years in and have had no issues.
DeLaHonta
AG
I've had a four door Samsung for about four years. The only issue I have with it is that something leaks water into the freezer at the bottom to where I have to take a metal pick and chip away built up ice every month or so, otherwise, I can't open the freezer door. I have no idea why it does that (although I haven't really investigated much)

Other than that, I'm a fan. I love the beverage drawer above the freezer, and the ice maker and water dispenser work great (aside from the leaking water internally thing).
62strat
AG
Disgruntled samsung fridge owner here. Literally from DAY ONE, after the install guys left, we noticed a shelf sagging. I go to tighten screw, and it just falls out... it's not even long enough to get engagement.

They come back out with some fix, and within a few years, it sags again, and still does to this day.

6 months after owning, it starts making crazy loud noise. I google, and find that ice builds up and a fan hits it, so easy DIY, just basically take apart the back of the fridge (inside the main compartment) and defrost it. That only takes an ENTIRE day, luckily we had beer fridge to hold all our food. So I do that, it goes away, and comes back a year later. This time we get a guy out, he says he sees it all the time, they don't have a defrost thingy in the right spot, so ice builds up (this is behind the back of the fridge compartment) and when the fan runs it's basically hitting it. He rigs up something, and it fixes it.

We have two ice makers; the top one is junk and makes ice that is ridiculously cloudy, however the bottom ice maker works great, even now 7 years later.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We must have been lucky (or the quality issues started later).

We bought a FD Samsung in October 2010 when we built our last home. The ice maker made it until August 2018. It was about $300 to replace the ice maker (I think). The fridge to that point had been 100% issue free. We always changed the filters at the 6 month intervals when the time said it was time for a new one.

We left the fridge w/the home when we sold it in June 2019.
rlb28
AG
got rid of Samsung last week for a Kitchen Aid old school, two door
jtraggie99
AG
rlb28 said:

got rid of Samsung last week for a Kitchen Aid old school, two door

I bought a new fridge 2 years ago. I also went with a basic side-by-side. Nothing fancy at all...water and ice dispenser in the door and that's about it as far as features go. In doing research at the time, it seemed like the more frills one had, the more issues they had. Sometimes simpler is better...
kyledr04
AG
My frigidaire icemaker has been crap too. At least I can get parts.
jtp01
AG
We had a Samsung that we enjoyed with no troubles at all for 7-8 years. I loved the dual ice makers it was really nice to always have plenty when we had guests.

When we moved the moving company caved in the front and we ended up replacing it with a kenmore. We left that POS behind. I HATED that refrigerator about a month in. The door ice was pointless. The dispenser would freeze up and no ice would come out.

This is one of the reasons we decided to go with a stand alone commercial ice maker (sonic ice) in our new home we are building. Our house will be the family gathering spot and we are building to prep for that.
planoaggie123
AG
Why would you want 4 doors for a fridge? Seems excessive?

We are starting to plan for our remodel and I can't help but think I would prefer just a single fridge door with lower freezer. No ice maker. No water dispenser. No external displays. Just keep my food cold/frozen and limit the doors / accessories...
TXTransplant
planoaggie123 said:

Why would you want 4 doors for a fridge? Seems excessive?

We are starting to plan for our remodel and I can't help but think I would prefer just a single fridge door with lower freezer. No ice maker. No water dispenser. No external displays. Just keep my food cold/frozen and limit the doors / accessories...

Because I like the space of a French door fridge, but I don't like the pull-out drawer freezer.

LG used to make a French door with a freezer door design, but that's been 10+ years ago. I guess they weren't very popular.

When my GE POS finally kicks the bucket (or I get tired of hearing what sounds like the chugga-chugga of a train in my house), I will probably just replace it with another side by side.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.