Electrical issue...

1,010 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by V8Aggie
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I killed breakers to swap electrical sockets in my master bedroom the other day and when I went to disconnect the old sockets I ran into an issue.

A: I checked the plug for current by plugging a phone and charger up to it with no effect. I presumed the outlet was indeed dead. I got the ground off no problem but when I took the first positive wire off I got a jolt.

B: When I got that first positive wire off the socket the light in my stairwell went out.

How can a stairwell sconce still be powered from the circuit when I've thrown the breaker and all the outlets on that circuit are dead?

I pulled the remaining sockets out of the wall in the room and did the same thing (minus the jolt since I was looking for it...) the Positive wire came off and the stair sconce went out.

Went out to the panel and threw breakers for 10 min with the wife inside and she said that sconce never went out. Still don't know how that thing is getting powered...

Help me out folks...
JP76
Perhaps a sub panel somewhere ?

I would shut the main breaker off and that should kill everything.

I would also buy this before your do any more electrical work

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787
DiskoTroop
So I've got one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Outlet-Tester-with-GFCI-OTG-102R/206029151

But I'd left it in the garage and didn't want to go get it. I just grabbed that phone charger as a work around. Wasn't too successful was it?
aggieforester05
AG
Does that outlet happen to be where a lamp would go and is there a switch that powers it on and off along with the sconce light? If so there's a good chance the single outlet is powered by two separate circuits and the sconce light is in series after that outlet. The other plug on the outlet would be constant hot. Check the old outlet to see if the tab is broken between the two hot terminals. If so what I described above is likely the case. The weird thing is that the sconce light would be powered by the same switch as the lamp, but it's plausible, if the person who wired it wanted one switch to power on both in the middle of the night. If so just keep the first breaker off and put some tape over the switch in the off position while you work on it.
AtlAg05
AG
Some of the electrical guys must laugh to themselves when they wire a house. Years ago I was helping my dad swap outlets and we turned the breaker off, tested a few outlets and proceeded. Out of the 6 outlets in the room, one was connected to the circuit two rooms over. I found it!
Aggie71013
AG
This is how my house is wired and it's infuriating. Four outlets in the master bath are on three different circuits. One circuit is all of the master bedroom (lights and outlets) along with half the master bath lights and one outlet in our living room. Anytime I need to do any electrical work it's a wild goose chase to find the right breaker.
Gary79Ag
AG
And this is why you buy AND USE a simple tester as noted above when it comes to working with electricity...never trust just simply tripping breakers or doing what you did with a phone charger or any such other device! Use the tester to be absolutely sure!!!

I was taught a valuable lesson when I was going to school to become an electrical engineer. Had a TV that the tube went outon. Took it to our repair guy who knew me well and knew I was going to A&M for my degree. He let me use his tools and equipment and he had 3 used tubes but didn't know which was the best so he let me try them out to find which one I wanted to use.

I removed the bad tube and replaced it with one of his while he watched me. Turned it on and it didn't work well so he told me to go pick out another. When I returned he said he discharged the high voltage for me so I proceeded to remove the anode HV wire from the tube with a screw driver as I did earlier. When I got the screw driver close, it arced big time and I flew back against a wall hitting my head.

He laughed his head off as it happened and then he looked at me and said "You just learned lesson numero 1 regarding electricity...When it comes to electricity, don't ever ever trust anyone!"

He was damn right!!!
Post removed:
by user
aggieforester05
AG
To expand on this, always test any tester or meter on a source you know is hot first, so you know it's working.
V8Aggie
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

So I've got one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Outlet-Tester-with-GFCI-OTG-102R/206029151

But I'd left it in the garage and didn't want to go get it. I just grabbed that phone charger as a work around. Wasn't too successful was it?
Electrical work is one of many things you shouldn't be lazy about doing right... call an electrician so you don't burn your house down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.