American Home Shield help

4,291 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rice and Fries
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok folks I figure this might be a place I could ask about this.

Back story: AHS sent a vendor to my house to address my pool. Long story short, the vendor fixed what they'd been called out for but also ended up doing more damage to my pool equipment.

Cost another ~$1000 to get it all back in place. The vendor insisted they didn't do anything wrong, AHS sent a second opinion out and second vendor says yes, first vendor did indeed screw it up.

I couldn't get ANY action out of their call in line. Nothing. Nothing at all. I had to reach out on social media and threaten to make a stink. Finally someone agreed to hear me out and AHS finally reimbursed me the first ~$600 (which is what had been spent at that point) but there's another $400 left I need reimbursement for.

Their liaison whom I'd been working with has gone AWOL.

Does anyone have any connections to AHS I could speak with? I'd really appreciate it!!
ftworthag02
AG
Sorry I don't. Our realtor pushed ahs for our first home purchase and it was a absolute joke. Just save $100 per month for a "home fund" and you should be good
Picard
AG
Sue them

jtp01
AG
Good luck with them. Did you know that the water well going out is not an emergency in their eyes?

My wife was 9 months pregnant with my oldest son. Our well went out on a Friday around noon. They said they couldn't get anyone there before 5 so they would have someone show up Monday before 5.

I spent some time on the phone with them and explained that no water in the home was a problem. Especially since our nearest neighbors were 2 miles away and "town" was 15 miles.

Turns out, the well guy they sent out was billing for new pumps when he was mixing working pumps with working motors. We went through well pumps about every 6-9 months. Finally got frustrated and called a different company after dropping AHS. They recognized what was going on and said this was obviously a job by the previous guy (I had not told them). New well company actually ended up installing a new pump at no charge for Because of the circumstances. That well pump is still in operation some 11 years later. We ended up using the same well company to drill our new well at our new homesite that we are building right now. They will forever do our well work. We are trying to talk them into working on our irrigation wells, but that's not their specialty.
EMY92
AG
A vast majority of the contractors that do work for the warranty companies are companies that you do not want working on your home/equipment. The home warranty work just lengthens the time it takes for that company to go under. There are some exceptions to this, but they are the exception.

FourAggies
AG
Small claims court, especially since you have the statement from the second vendor. Hopefully, they will want to settle before they have to appear in court.
Not a Bot
AG
Before you think about filing a suit, consider court costs and other costs associated. The math may not add up. "Small claims" court isn't like the People's Court or Judge Judy, it is legit with filing deadlines and other pitfalls that people often fall into.
Post removed:
by user
Whitetail
AG
I'd call the $600 a win and use the $400 as a good lesson to never get another home warranty.
Win At Life
AG
Don't prepay (I.e. buy a warranty) for something you can afford to pay for when, or if, it ever happens.
Kenneth_2003
AG
They're in the business of making money (yes every company is)... But they have to make money based on what you've already paid them, and then not spend it. They get to choose the lowest bidder to do the least amount of work to make you not spend the cash for another service call.

Your contractor, the one you interview, the one whos reviews you read online, the one you talk to your friends and neighbors about, makes money by earning your business and performing a task you need done on the terms you both agree to.

Ditch the warranty company and just keep some money in savings. They're only in business because they're in cahoots with Realtors to get sellers to give you some peace of mind. If they were robo calling you about your house like the automotive extended warranty folks... Yeah, you probably wouldn't buy their product.
DiskoTroop
I absolutely intend on ditching the warranty company but when the seller offers a policy to you when you make a full asking price offer, you take it. So we have one year of coverage at essentially no cost to me, except time, energy and anger.

I'm socking money into an account now to have some flex room just as soon as this initial year is over.
planoaggie123
AG
This thread is the last thing I wanted to see haha.

I think i may need a new blower and want to use the home warranty (recently purchased home) but I have AHS and i know the quality of their people are never very good although we did have one come fix our cooktop burners and my wife thought he was nice and he got us fixed up...

Would be interested to see how this plays out....
PlanoAg98
AG
I've had American Home Shield for a few years and have not had any horror stories yet.
87IE
AG
planoaggie123 said:

This thread is the last thing I wanted to see haha.

I think i may need a new blower and want to use the home warranty (recently purchased home) but I have AHS and i know the quality of their people are never very good although we did have one come fix our cooktop burners and my wife thought he was nice and he got us fixed up...

Would be interested to see how this plays out....

You can have their contractor come out to give the diagnosis and then ask for the cash equivalent payout and use your own HVAC guy. You'll be out the initial service call fee.

I called AHS for a slab leak. Their plumber came out and looked at what I had done (pulled the floor, cut into the wall to identify the hot water line leaking from the water heater) and said "yup, you have a leak".

He stopped answering phone calls so I talked to AHS and they had a max payout of $500 so I got that and hired my own plumber.

A lot of their contractors suck but a few good ones start their business working for warranty companies to build up a customer base. My HVAC guy was like that. He no longer works for warranty companies but has always treated me right and done excellent work.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
planoaggie123
AG
I should have clarified that this is pool blower related but i am guessing the same concept applies...if they say "yup, its broken" then maybe i can get cash and use my own pool guy...
PlanoAg98
AG
I didn't know you could ask for a cash equivalent. Good to know.
aezmvp
If you really want to get to them I had a problem with one a few years ago on an AC. I finally went through their corporate structure on LinkedIn, found all the business awards their folks had gotten in Salt Lake where they were based. Took the naming convention they had for their email and blasted their entire chain of command until I got results. And I damn well cc'd them on every. single. email. I got it done, it was a pain in the ass, but it got done.
DiskoTroop
aezmvp said:

If you really want to get to them I had a problem with one a few years ago on an AC. I finally went through their corporate structure on LinkedIn, found all the business awards their folks had gotten in Salt Lake where they were based. Took the naming convention they had for their email and blasted their entire chain of command until I got results. And I damn well cc'd them on every. single. email. I got it done, it was a pain in the ass, but it got done.

Don't still have those emails do you? I'm ready to do this tonight.
txyaloo
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

aezmvp said:

Don't still have those emails do you? I'm ready to do this tonight.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-home-shield-2/

When sending executive escalations, make sure you include any previous attempts to use normal service (include emails if you have them) and clearly state what you want. I give normal service 3 attempts to fix my issue before going to the CEO's exec escalations team. They'll usually fix things quickly.
DiskoTroop
Tried with all the email addresses listed on that page and they all bounced back undeliverable. However those addresses listed aren't in the same format as other AHS folks I've been emailing so I reformatted the emails of those exec's and got a few hits! Got a couple OOO replies and one bounced back undeliverable.

Fingers crossed...

Copied all previous comm's and managers I've worked with on the email, laid out full story in "long version" and gave an executive summary as well. Pictures, invoices and email history attached.

We'll see what happens.
PlanoAg98
AG
Try searching LinkedIn for Aggies that work at AHS. Message them through LinkedIn and maybe the Aggie connection will give better support.
planoaggie123
AG
We have now used AHS for 2 issues....gas range not working and SPA air blower not working.

They got the range to work. $75. They scheduled quickly and wife said guy seemed nice enough. Working so far...

All new Blower. Jandy brand. $75. Same as above where it was scheduled quickly and no hassel on replace vs repair. they just switched it out same day. Pool guy quoted $421 for the same work. Wife really liked this guy and even wanted to make sure we got his info for future work.

So far I have been happy. I am sure the next issue could be the "one" where we get annoyed but so far so good.
coolerguy12
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

I absolutely intend on ditching the warranty company but when the seller offers a policy to you when you make a full asking price offer, you take it. So we have one year of coverage at essentially no cost to me, except time, energy and anger.

I'm socking money into an account now to have some flex room just as soon as this initial year is over.

Our contract required the seller to put up to $625 toward a home warranty. We asked for $500 toward closing costs instead, they were cool and put $625 toward closing costs. Home warranty companies are a joke and realtors should stop peddling their crap.
ftworthag02
AG
Our realtor pushed us to get ahs for our first home in '07. Complete waste of money. We had them out 4-5 times to work on our a/c condenser and I told them repeatedly that it needed to be replaced. Wouldn't do it. I've always believed in using the highest quality appliances, the best parts, and using the most experienced technicians. "You get what you pay for."
flown-the-coop
AG
Very simple rule to live by regarding all types of insurance. Insurance is for catastrophic losses.

The reason you by HO insurance, life insurance, car insurance, and health insurance is that when you suffer a catastrophic loss (or illness) in these areas the claim is many thousands of dollars but is not likely to happen or happen repeatedly. And regarding health insurance, there is a reason high-deductible plans are typically the better option as your health maintenance you pay for and you save on premiums. But you still have catastrophic coverage for cancer, heart attack, etc.

Buying AHS or similar is the same thing as buying the insurance at Best Buy. Spoiler alert for how this works out customer vs provider - for years (may still be the case) that Best Buy lost money on the retail and only turned a profit on upsell insurance at the cash register.

TLDR - AHS is not insurance. Its a prepaid service plan. On average, it will not pay off for you cause if it benefits the customer more than the seller, they folks at AHS would not be all driving luxury cars and living in nice cribs in Memphis.

Create an emergency fund for home maintenance items.
Diggity
AG
Quote:

TLDR - AHS is not insurance. Its a prepaid service plan. On average, it will not pay off for you cause if it benefits the customer more than the seller,

Not that I disagree with the main point of your post, but the quoted portion is true of real insurance products as well.
flown-the-coop
AG
That is true. Should have just stuck to highlighting the catastrophic aspect of life, health, HO and car. I would add STD/LTD into that as well. In last 10 years, I have had two employees who really would have benefited from those often very affordable coverages.
Rice and Fries
aezmvp said:

A man after my own heart.

But seriously, doing this works well!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.