Room Addition Bids

1,714 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgLA06
BobSacamano
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're adding a living room in Houston and I'm fairly new to this. I've brought in five contractors thus far and there's a substantial difference in bids from roughly $50k up to $125k for a 300 sq ft addition (give or take).

The guys on the top end definitely seem top notch (sharp, trustworthy, etc) but what's actually driving these differences? Is the quality that much better? Reputation? Should I run away from the $50k guy?
Vernada
AG
Are the quotes apples-to-apples?
Picard
AG
Have you considered adding a second floor instead?

BobSacamano
Vernada said:

Yes, no substantive differences.

As a long term TexAgs lurker I know better than to consider a second floor.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hope you didn't get a bid from the one in Kingwood that did my addition.

TMoney2007
AG
For $417/sf I'd expect high end finishes and absolutely no additional charges for unforseen situations.

Did the expensive guys talk about anything that would make your addition particularly challenging?
BobSacamano
TMoney2007 said:

For $417/sf I'd expect high end finishes and absolutely no additional charges for unforseen situations.

Did the expensive guys talk about anything that would make your addition particularly challenging?

Nope. Just basic stuff that they all talked about.
WaynerAg03
BobSacamano said:

Vernada said:

Yes, no substantive differences.

As a long term TexAgs lurker I know better than to consider a second floor.

Out of curiosity, what are the concerns/ issues with adding a second floor?
DeBoss
AG
I added 180 sq. ft. bathroom/closet and paid about $140/sq ft. So depending on the current value of your home, I got mine for about a 10% increase over current value. Not sure if that helps.
expresswrittenconsent
What did you find out from calling the references they provided?
BobSacamano
Still have a few more contractors to meet with then going to reach out to references when we narrow it down.

As for the second floor question, it doesn't make sense with our home/neighborhood (and an infamous TexAgs thread also discouraged the idea!).
GE
AG
Since buying our house in the first half of last year, I've had painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fencing, landscaping, and wood replacement done. In almost all cases the high end quote received was double or close to double the cheapest.
AgLA06
AG
There could be a hundred reasons why there's a huge range in quotes. And it may or may not have anything to do with your projects.

Too busy, but will take it on for a premium. Thinks you're gullible. Needs the work to keep staff levels so willing to be at cost. Out of their main area so it won't be efficient to manage. You seem like you don't know what you want. You seem overbearing and a pain in the ass. Needs to pay off his wife's new boobs.

Or

Something about the project is going to be a pain / shady existing work. Amateur hour quote high / low. Looks apples to apples, but allowances for finishes will be extremely different. Somebody missed something. Somebody made a bad assumption for CYA.

Do your best to ensure the details (line items and exclusions are the same), check references including asking to see the work, and call the permitting authority for their most common area for opinions. Then go with your gut.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.