Cost for new line for gas stove

1,225 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by akaggie05
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with adding a new gas line for stove/oven? My wife and I are starting to look at houses and a gas stove is one of the things neither of us are wanting to lose from our current place. If the house has a gas furnace and water heater already what is a ballpark we would be looking at to add a line to the stove?
Scriffer
AG
We did that in 2016. If I remember right, it was in the $500 neighborhood to run a flex line across the attic and down through the wall to the cooktop.

I had bigger fish to fry at the time, so I have no idea of that was a good price or not. It did include them pulling a permit.
TexAg1987
Occasionally you will find that the builder pre-plumbed for gas. Check under the stove for a stub out.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Is there attic access?
streetfighter2012
AG
Thanks for the replies. So far we are just looking through listings on Zillow, so no specific conditions yet. Just wanted to get a ballpark figure.
sleepybeagle
AG
If you have attic access and the house if plumbed for gas, then it's really not a big deal to have a line run. But often houses with Gas have it run to the stove so as mentioned above, always check if you look at a house.
agchino
AG
When we bought our house this summer, there was a gas stove retrofit that also fed the pool heater and an outdoor grill that had a leak. We made the seller fix all of it, so they had a plumber dig and run a new gas line for all 3 appliances, I think it cost in the neighborhood of $2000.

All the appliances are on the same side of the house as the meter, with an existing tee for at the original line for the furnace that goes off to the attic. They ran about a 10 foot new line under ground to the stove and the pool heater, came up and attached to those applicances, then tee'd off of that and ran a line another 15 feet or so to the grill. Plumber had to hand dig it all.

So back off that for just a stove hook up and maybe you are looking at $1000 as a ballpark worst case for just a stove depending on the location of the meter and existing lines.
akaggie05
AG
As others have said, much easier if there is attic access and other gas appliances nearby. I ran a new CSST gas line for a stove (teeing off the connection to the furnace almost directly overhead in the attic) for probably about $100 in materials. Not hard at all. You'll probably find that quotes will vary wildly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.