Mistletoe In Tree

1,591 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by flown-the-coop
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a tree in my front yard that appears to have spots of mistletoe in multiple locations, some way higher than I could get to. It's very apparent now, with the leaves gone, and I do not recall seeing it this time last year. My understanding is that it can eventually damage or even kill the tree if left unchecked. Is that right? I am assuming an arborist would be the best person to call? If so, anyone know of someone in north DFW (I'm in McKinney)?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Call an arborist who knows what they're doing. You have to remove quite a bit you get the mistletoe completely out because it basically roots into the tree. Your options come to removing entire affected branches, or removing the mistletoe and surrounding bark, then wrapping the area to cut off sunlight to any remaining mistletoe.
sleepybeagle
AG
Well... it depends how much mistletoe - but mostly mistletoe isn't good for a tree. Mistletoe seems to like Cedar elms and you notice it when the leaves fall. If it's just a few limbs high up - no big deal. If the mistletoe is so dense that it's effecting the tree's ability to grow leaves, or you see it in a major limb and the mistletoe has caused deformity in the limb, then you might want professional help as suggested above.

You can just cut the mistletoe with a long-arm saw to slow it down, but it will come back. I generally just cut it out to slow it down. But again if it's bad - then call somebody who specializes in this.
The Collective
AG
jtraggie99
AG
Ha ha....thanks for the info guys!
flown-the-coop
AG
Find neighbor kid who likes to climb trees, buy him a helmet, spiked shoes and a canvas bag. Ensure your umbrella policy is paid. Offer to split proceeds from sell of mistletoe with neighbor kid. #profit
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.