Brick House Needs Leveling

1,781 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bonfire97
Codes12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First off here is some Background: I've owned my house for 4 years, which I bought from my Grandmother's estate. It's been in the family since the mid-1990s. House is a 1500 SQFT brick home built in 1980. Located 50 miles SW of Houston.

Last summer I started to notice doors not closing properly and my garage door trim developed a crack where the wood trim pulled away from the brick on one side. The doors have gradually worsened to the extent that I have to lift up fairly hard to get some to latch. As of now I have not found any cracking anywhere, only issue is with doors latching.

I had a Foundation Repair Company come out and take a look last week. They found that my my house has settled about 1.5 inches from on corner to opposite corner on the far side of the house. Other areas in between have settled anywheres from .75 to 1 inch.

I'm thinking this problem is not going to correct itself. Thus I am better off pulling the trigger now instead of waiting and allowing more damage to occur. This is my first time dealing with a foundation so I was looking for advice on the severity of this issue. Should I spend the money now or wait it out for time being until the problems become more severe. Thanks.
p_bubel
Been a dry winter for y'all so far? I would water the foundation for a bit first, before dumping that kind of cash. See if that improves anything.
jtp01
AG
We ended up with a brick home that was 10 years old doing the same thing. We had an engineer come out and evaluate rather than blindly trusting the guy selling repairs.
We found similar results of settling from 1.5-2". We had quite a few piers installed and the cost was around $15,000.00.
The foundation company offered a lifetime transferable warranty which moved to the new owner and she was very happy to have it.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Give Dawson Foundation Repair a call. We recently had 23 piers installed, 4,000+ sq ft brick house. You can do your research, but their method is the best. Tons of information on their website.

https://www.dawsonfoundationrepair.com/

Codes12
AG
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to do alittle more homework before I decide who i'm going to go with.

Cypress - I will give them a shout and see what they have to say. Thank you.
Gary79Ag
AG
Get an engineer to evaluate and assess the situation first. I had foundations issues and was quoted 10's of thousands of dollars to install piers by 2 different foundation companies. Decided to have an engineering assessment done first as recommended here and sure enough, it turned out to be a slab leak causing my problem. Cost me less than a $600 to resolve my issue.
Martin Cash
AG
Ram Jack
Bonfire97
AG
Hire a Professional Engineer to do an evaluation. Should cost a maximum of $500.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.