HVAC fan running, but no heat or AC

1,254 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by java94
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has been happening occasionally for a couple months. Came home from work and the fan is running, but just recirculating air. The first time this happened, I tried everything I could think of to get it to stop. I turned off the breakers to the furnace and it stopped, but once I turned them back on, the fan started right back up. Finally I was able to set the thermostat really high to force the furnace to kick on for a few minutes, then reset the thermostat and the fan finally turns off when the heat cycle ends.

What is going on? I was leaning toward a bad thermostat, but today I physically removed the thermostat from the wall plate and the fan kept running. I finally left it set to heat and it took 20 minutes for the heat to come on, but it finally did and the fan stopped when I reset the thermostat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
AgAcGuy12
AG
It could be a few things. Assuming it's a gas furnace two things come to mind.
If it's a Pilot type system your fan-limit switch needs to be adjusted or replaced. It's a rotary mechanism that has three set points from lowest temp to highest (fan off, fan on, gas off).
If it's an electronic ignition type furnace via spark ignition or hot surface it could be a few things. It could be a lockout due to failure to ignite, a bad high limit switch or a bad board. There is typically an led indicator on the board that will flash a code. Count the flashes, find the key and know your problem. Typically a lockout will require the thermostat to be turned off and then back to heat to clear, a high limit will require cooling off the house to reset and a bad board just has to be replaced.
Lots of current technicians have no clue how to work on the old pilot systems with the rotary dial limit switch and will try to sell you a new furnace. They haven't been produced in over thirty years now and most techs are younger than that.
If you have any other questions let me know. I've never posted on TexAgs in all my years but felt I could add some value for once.
JSKolache
AG
Replace capacitor for a few bucks. Try that first.
AgResearch
AG
JSKolache said:

Replace capacitor for a few bucks. Try that first.
+1
akaggie05
AG
Unless this is a heat pump system, the capacitor on the outside unit wouldn't cause a failure of both heat and AC. He says the inside fan is running, so no bad cap there either...
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
I, also being an Ag + A/C Guy + having a degree ending in '12 - agree this is likely the correct diagnostics.

btw.. we are looking for smart hvac ppl and are hiring

java94
AG
Thanks, all, especially AgAcGuy12. I'm waiting for it to do this again and will go in the attic and check for a code.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.