Master Bath layout help

5,491 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by beachfront71
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Less than a year ago we bought an older house and have been renovating it. Next we want to tackle the master bath but due to layout issues it will need to be more than just a facelift. Currently the tub and shower are combine and we would like a separate tub and shower but there aren't many options with the current layout.

The space is 11 x 19 with the living room to the left in the below diagram, the side yard and neighbor's driveway to the right, entry from the master bedroom from the bottom, and backyard at the top. If possible, we would like the bathtub along the top wall to add a nice window looking into the backyard.

The space above the entire room is attic space and as far as I can tell none of the interior walls (within the bathroom) are load-bearing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

This is the current layout - vanity is way longer than necessary and double linen closets are unecessary. It is also a little dark without any windows and doesn't have room for a separate tub.

For perspective, each box in the graphs below is roughly 6 inches x 6 inches

This is option 1 (not by preference, just order created) - it will allow for decent closet space and be the most navigable but we'll have to change the location of pretty much all of the plumbing and existing interior walls.

This is option 2 - Will have to change walls and some of the plumbing but not everything. Positives are the bathroom part will be pretty open with lots of potential for windows. Drawback is narrow hallway to get there and closets aren't walk-in. Probably going to be pretty expensive.

This is option 3 - it mostly plays off the current layout and basically just squeezes a shower in and switches the existing water closet for the existing shower/tub combo. Most plumbing can remain in place. Probably the cheapest option by far, but will still be a little tight and dark with the bathroom piece being relatively narrow.

Vernada
AG
Do you REALLY need a bathtub?
The Dog Lord
AG
What about moving the tub to the top wall, sliding the shower up beside it on the right wall and then just expanding closet 2 in any leftover space to create one larger closet?

You could do something similar except put the shower in the current water closet area and relocate the water closet to the right wall above the expanded single closet area.
GE
AG
Vernada said:

Yes, adding one was a non-negotiable condition from the wife when we purchased the house. Believe me, I have asked the same question multiple times since then and it has remained that way.
GE
AG
The Dog Lord said:

What about moving the tub to the top wall, sliding the shower up beside it on the right wall and then just expanding closet 2 in any leftover space to create one larger closet?

You could do something similar except put the shower in the current water closet area and relocate the water closet to the right wall above the expanded single closet area.
Something like this?

CaptnCarl
AG
Two questions:

1: what does the window look out to? Do you need the view, or just the natural light? If just the natural light, then the vanity could span the top wall, with a window transom above the vanity mirrors to allow the light to come in.

2: can you shift the entry to the right or left coming from the bedroom? This would allow a large master closet to be on either side, with the entrance to the other side. You could also put an entrance directly to the closet on one side, and a bathroom entrance on the other.

Either way, combining both closets to one would add efficiency.
CaptnCarl
AG
What I'm mentioning looks a lot like option 4, but swapping the vanity area with the showers and tub area.
The Dog Lord
AG
GE said:

The Dog Lord said:

Something like this?

That could work, but you could also keep one long vanity on the left wall. If you swap the tub and shower, then the window over the tub would bring in light directly to the vanity wall. Without the second vanity on the right wall, you'd have space to get into and out of the shower too.
GE
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Two questions:

1: what does the window look out to? Do you need the view, or just the natural light? If just the natural light, then the vanity could span the top wall, with a window transom above the vanity mirrors to allow the light to come in.

2: can you shift the entry to the right or left coming from the bedroom? This would allow a large master closet to be on either side, with the entrance to the other side. You could also put an entrance directly to the closet on one side, and a bathroom entrance on the other.

Either way, combining both closets to one would add efficiency.
1. Window looks out to backyard which will eventually be a sort of garden area.
2. Entry has to be along the bottom wall but can be located anywhere on the bottom wall.

Im going to sketch out what you're suggesting and see how it looks when I get back to my laptop
CaptnCarl
AG
After thinking about it more, I would go with option 3, BUT squeeze the shower along the right wall next to the water closet. This prevents the shower from blocking the light from the window. Obviously make the window big, and maybe a frosted glass.

Like you said, this will probably be the cheapest. You're probably going to have to sacrifice some closet space to add the shower.

Just my two cents. I enjoy that stuff.
TMoney2007
AG
When we remodeled the master bath at my mom's house after Harvey, we basically put the shower immediately outside the tub. It saved having to worry about water from the hand shower in the tub getting outside of the waterproofed area.

It may not work for that space, but it's food for thought.

chipotle
We've lived in our house 8 years. Used the tub 4 times
ChoppinDs40
AG
The Dog Lord said:

GE said:

The Dog Lord said:

Something like this?

That could work, but you could also keep one long vanity on the left wall. If you swap the tub and shower, then the window over the tub would bring in light directly to the vanity wall. Without the second vanity on the right wall, you'd have space to get into and out of the shower too.

Like this idea. You could also put a bigger shower in that has a bench. This option will also allow you to put windows (frosted at the shower or transoms) and an actual window above the tub). That whole wall could be windows and then..

Along the left wall, one long vanity with 2 sinks, a sitting area for Htown to do her makeup, and then do some cabinets on the vanity for the linen closet (even maybe put glass decorative doors in the ones above the vanity to show neatly rolled or folded towels).

https://pin.it/spxhobsskzi5mv

https://pin.it/u2btughwpgv7gq
htxag09
AG
We've lived in our house 8 years, I've used the tub 4 times. But my wife uses it at least twice a week. Some people still use bath tubs, even if a lot on here don't.
Rexter
Take option 1 and keep the closet. Lay the tub sideways, move the water closet over to the right side, flip the gun safe to the left, and add a linen closet between the safe and vanity.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Whatever you do, and this may be obvious, put the closet nearest the bedroom. Not only because you go in there times when you don't go into the bathroom but you don't want to walk through potentially wet areas to get to your closet. The other reason is the closet (if 2) that is the most inside the house of the 2 can be used as a safe(er) room during a weather situation. At least in a pinch. If its on an outside wall, you take that away.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Option 1 has the least amount of space dedicated just to 'hallways.' In general, you want to minimize the creation of hallways and allow for natural movement between all of the features in a space.

Closets tend to have wasted space if they are squares, because you want perimeter length for racks but a square has a higher ratio of area to perimeter than a rectangle. You could easily shave off two linear feet of the master closet and add it to the bathroom and shower, which are areas you would more greatly appreciate the extra space.

Your designs seem to imply that you aren't constrained strictly by a budget. If you were, the plumbing wouldn't be moving at all. I would find an area to save some cash and then dump it into making an awesomely huge double shower.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Vernada said:

There's nothing better than a relaxed wife after a long soak in a hot, candle lit bubble bath.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Personally, I'd like a version of option 2, but with longer vanities. In our last two places, the wife and I have shared a tiny vanity (2'), and when we finally build I swear we're getting 5' each.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
The room is fairly long and narrow. What about shortening it?

Also, this is the master bath so give it a great view when you enter. Personally, I would put the tub opposite the door. Here is what I came up with quickly. You could also put the shower/W.C. where the closet is, but you will end up with smaller closets if you do. I also like the sliding doors that can open behind the tub. You lose no floor space for those two doors. This closet also is 5.5 deep with 11 ft of hanging (some double) and about 3 feet of shelving on each end.

ChoppinDs40
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

The room is fairly long and narrow. What about shortening it?

Also, this is the master bath so give it a great view when you enter. Personally, I would put the tub opposite the door. Here is what I came up with quickly. You could also put the shower/W.C. where the closet is, but you will end up with smaller closets if you do. I also like the sliding doors that can open behind the tub. You lose no floor space for those two doors. This closet also is 5.5 deep with 11 ft of hanging (some double) and about 3 feet of shelving on each end.

nice layout but I think he specifically wants a view of the backyard. Here, the closet blocks that natural light.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
That was the negative part of the layout. Most other layouts have the closet closer to the bedroom which makes for smaller closets and a longer hall/walkway through the bath. One of his options had the closet a the end, so I wasn't sure if that was a requirement or not.
htxag09
AG
Maybe your layout but switched? So you walk through the closet to get to the restroom? A little odd but no wasted space of a hallway around a closet.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
TMoney,

I think these look really cool, but I have to ask about cleaning/maintenance. Is it a pain to keep a tub in a shower clean?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
The downside to option 3 is that when the left sink is in use, the doorway/hallway is blocked.
TMoney2007
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

TMoney,

I think these look really cool, but I have to ask about cleaning/maintenance. Is it a pain to keep a tub in a shower clean?
I don't live with it, and she uses the tub.

We undermounted the (big ass cast iron soaker) tub under a quartzite surface, so you could squeegee the surface off if it got wet from a shower. If they slope the surface towards the shower like they should, it wouldn't be that bad. She hasn't complained about keeping the tub clean.

The nice thing about undermounting the tub is that you get a flat ledge. That way, if you have trouble stepping over directly into the tub, you can sit on the ledge and swing your legs in. You can also sit there to clean the tub.

I should take some better pictures of that master bath. It turned out well.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
is it an option to enter the space approximately midway on one of the long walls. I am unable to determine without the context of adjacent spaces.
As others have said, entering with the on the short wall kills the efficiency by burning up a lot of usable space for circulation only.
If you can enter midway, have the bathroom fixtures to the exterior wall side to preserve the view as intended, and have the opposite end be the closet
GrimesCoAg95
AG
One of the initial pictures shows the right wall to be an outside wall with the neighbor's driveway noted. I don't think you can move the entry door to that side, but I am not sure about the left wall. This is one of the reasons, I put the closet at the end to shorten the room.
ChoppinDs40
AG
GrimesCoAg95 said:

One of the initial pictures shows the right wall to be an outside wall with the neighbor's driveway noted. I don't think you can move the entry door to that side, but I am not sure about the left wall. This is one of the reasons, I put the closet at the end to shorten the room.

i'm imagine it's the kitchen or living room or something.
The Dog Lord
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

Living room on the left. Entry from the bedroom is on the bottom but can be anywhere on that wall.
GE
AG
TMoney2007 said:

When we remodeled the master bath at my mom's house after Harvey, we basically put the shower immediately outside the tub. It saved having to worry about water from the hand shower in the tub getting outside of the waterproofed area.

I like this a lot and think it would work. Have you had any issues with the shower getting the outside of the tub a little grimy?
TMoney2007
AG
GE said:

TMoney2007 said:

I like this a lot and think it would work. Have you had any issues with the shower getting the outside of the tub a little grimy?
Here's a really bad picture of it before it was finished. Like I said, I need to go take some pictures of it in its current state.

She doesn't use the shower very much, but it seems like it can't be any worse than the wall in any shower. I wouldn't do it with a freestanding tub (I don't like those from a functionality standpoint.)
GE
AG
The Dog Lord said:

AggieFanatic09 said:

GrimesCoAg95 said:

Living room on the left. Entry from the bedroom is on the bottom but can be anywhere on that wall.
Yes. specifically the stairs and a coat closet and then the living room. There might be a few feet of space to get in under the stairs but not very much.
GE
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

The Dog Lord said:

GE said:

The Dog Lord said:

Something like this?

Like this idea. You could also put a bigger shower in that has a bench. This option will also allow you to put windows (frosted at the shower or transoms) and an actual window above the tub). That whole wall could be windows and then..

Along the left wall, one long vanity with 2 sinks, a sitting area for Htown to do her makeup, and then do some cabinets on the vanity for the linen closet (even maybe put glass decorative doors in the ones above the vanity to show neatly rolled or folded towels).

https://pin.it/spxhobsskzi5mv

https://pin.it/u2btughwpgv7gq
Nice. I also flipped the closet and hallway for option 6.

GE
AG
TMoney2007 said:

GE said:

TMoney2007 said:

Here's a really bad picture of it before it was finished. Like I said, I need to go take some pictures of it in its current state.

She doesn't use the shower very much, but it seems like it can't be any worse than the wall in any shower. I wouldn't do it with a freestanding tub (I don't like those from a functionality standpoint.)
That makes sense. I think she's envisioning a freestanding tub but I can probably talk her down from that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.